Mute Watch with iPhone

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by btrach144, Apr 12, 2016.

1. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

Is there a way to mute the Apple Watch with the mute switch on the iPhone? I haven't found anything online or in the settings so I assume no. It's a pain to have to mute both my iPhone and Apple Watch. Seems like a simple feature Apple could add if this isn't currently possible.

Thanks

2. tom504 macrumors regular

tom504

http://www.imore.com/how-mute-ringer-and-alerts-your-apple-watch

3. btrach144 thread starter macrumors 65816

btrach144

Thank you for the response but I don't think your bothered to read my post. I know how to mute the watch using the watch complication but that's my problem. It's inconvenient to have to mute both devices and I'm asking if it's possible to mute both devices with the iPhone silencer switch.

4. tom504 macrumors regular

tom504

I did read it, those are your options. I just thought it would help to view the article.

5. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

There's the mute switch on the phone (I don't have an answer for it)

There's the mute toggle on the watch (tom504 covered it)

There's Do Not Disturb, which can be set to mirror your phone (Watch settings -> General -> Do Not Disturb ->)

Which version of Mute is the question about?

[edit]
    Ah, ok -- the switch on the side of the phone.

I don't think there's a way to tie them together. I have my phone on silent almost all the time anyway (and with vibrations turned off completely), and my watch is almost always on silent, too.

I hate hearing other people's phone ringers, especially when it's ringing and buzzing and they take another ten seconds to look at the screen before doing anything about it despite being able to silence it with a single button press, the heartless bast....

6. tom504 macrumors regular

tom504

Like a lot of people, I think he wants the mute button on the phone to turn mute on the watch at the same time.
    Maybe one day but for now it's not possible. Article I posted shows how to mute the watch from the phone watch app too.

7. btrach144 thread starter macrumors 65816

btrach144

Bummer. I don't like having to mute my phone and watch going into work each day and then allowing it again when leaving work.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 12, 2016 ---
    They've tied do not disturb mode to work on both devices when toggled from one or the other. Was hoping they had allowed this for the mute switch as well

8. CaptMarvel macrumors 6502a

CaptMarvel

DND is probably your best option. But then again, why would you want your Apple Watch to make noise? Maybe have your Apple Watch sounds on the lowest setting audible possible?

The fact that I can leave my iPhone's alerts on, but having the Apple Watch on vibrate/no audible alerts and handle it without letting the rest of the world know I'm receiving some type of transmission is amazing! Aside from the few times I forget I didn't silence my phone and I get an alert while I'm on it...DOH!

9. koolmagicguy macrumors 6502

koolmagicguy

Just keep your phone on silent/vibrate. Then all you have to control is your watch. If you want to hear noise, unmute, and vice versa.

10. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

In the Apple Watch app go sounds and click on. Mute. Regardless if your iPhone is silent or not as long as your watch is connected all notifications will be silent (vibrate)