'Muted' with external monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Atomant669, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Atomant669 macrumors regular

Hi I'm trying to connect my MBP to an external monitor for the second time in a few days but it seems that this time, when i hook it up to the external monitor. It gets muted? I can't turn on the volume at all? Am I missing something here?

2. simsaladimbamba

Check System Preferences > Sound > Output or OPTION/Alt click the sound/volume icon in the Menu Bar and tell us, what is listed and checked as Output Device.

[​IMG]

3. Atomant669 thread starter macrumors regular

Hi I did exactly as what you said and it's 'checked' on headphones and internal microphone. When I click on the volume control, it's dead, it doesn't move at all. It's weird. I've attached a screenshot if it helps at all.

Attached Files:

4. simsaladimbamba

If you OPTION/Alt click the volume control in the Menu Bar, you can see, what audio output device is selected (like shown in the screenshot of mine).
    But as you already posted a screenshot of your System Preferences, I see, what your problem is.
    Select the "Headphones" and see, if that works, as you probably have some external speaker connected.

5. Atomant669 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes sir I did just that. It worked right away. THanks a mill! :D

6. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Try to adjust the volume on the external monitor itself (if you have controls on it) thats the way my LG monitor does it.