Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfclazzi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
So basically I have an MKV movie file in a foreign language that did not contain it's own subtitle file. However, when I downloaded it, it came with a separate external SRT subtitle file.

My problem is when I try to mux the movie in MP4tools into a format I can play on my ipad/apple tv.

Everything looks fine as it does a passt through of the video, transcodes the audio, and adds the srt subtitles(soft-sub.)

When I play it on my ipad/apple tv, there are not options for subtitles. In fact, the only option is Off. On the other hand, I'll open the movie on vlc, I can turn the subtitles on and everything is fine.

This also happens when I use Subler.

What's weird is, I tried to mux the video without the subtitles. After that, I would then try to mux it again along with the subtitle file. So then, the subtitles would work, but then no audio at all!

Does anyone know what's going on? Am I doing this all wrong?

murdoc158

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2007
West Bend, WI
Try running the movie through iVI. It's free to use for the first 10 times. I've had very good luck with it, though I normally don't worry about subtitles unless I'm burning a "hard" subtitle.

Ksh

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2012
Uhm a bit strange because you should be able to select subs when playint content,never used mp4tools but mkv2m4v from Apple store works like a charm for these taks :)

Have a nice day!

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
So basically I have an MKV movie file in a foreign language that did not contain it's own subtitle file. However, when I downloaded it, it came with a separate external SRT subtitle file.

My problem is when I try to mux the movie in MP4tools into a format I can play on my ipad/apple tv.

Everything looks fine as it does a passt through of the video, transcodes the audio, and adds the srt subtitles(soft-sub.)

When I play it on my ipad/apple tv, there are not options for subtitles. In fact, the only option is Off. On the other hand, I'll open the movie on vlc, I can turn the subtitles on and everything is fine.

This also happens when I use Subler.

What's weird is, I tried to mux the video without the subtitles. After that, I would then try to mux it again along with the subtitle file. So then, the subtitles would work, but then no audio at all!

Does anyone know what's going on? Am I doing this all wrong?
I have never used MP4tools, but it seems like something is messing with the compatibility of the subtitles. What you could do, is try to convert the film with MP4tools first, and add the subtitle with Subler afterwards. Just drag and drop it into the window and save, it only takes a second. Does that work?

jfclazzi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
I have never used MP4tools, but it seems like something is messing with the compatibility of the subtitles. What you could do, is try to convert the film with MP4tools first, and add the subtitle with Subler afterwards. Just drag and drop it into the window and save, it only takes a second. Does that work?

That was one of the ways I had tried. Subs won't show up on an idevice, but I can view them it on VLC without sound in the video though.

I'll try the other apps everyone suggested.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
That was one of the ways I had tried. Subs won't show up on an idevice, but I can view them it on VLC without sound in the video though.

I'll try the other apps everyone suggested.

Really? That sounds super strange, never had a problem with adding .srt subtitles to a movie with Subler, they always show up in iTunes and on devices... Also, the sound issue sounds very bizarre.

Another app to try is iFlicks, free for two weeks...

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Subler should work. I routinely add srt files to my video files. At times like this, I always suspect something in the file itself as the problem, either the mkv, srt or both. I would try downloading another srt from a different source. If that doesn't help, I would try transcoding it with HB and use Subler to mux in the new srt.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
If that doesn't help, I would try transcoding it with HB and use Subler to mux in the new srt.

Of course HB can access and mux in the srt directly while transconding it. Subtitles tab > Add External SRT .... button.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Of course HB can access and mux in the srt directly while transconding it. Subtitles tab > Add External SRT .... button.
Yes, of course and it does a fine job. I just find using Subler easier because if there is a sync problem, you have to adjust the HB offset, then re-encode. With Subler, you can just add the file and if the sync is off, you measure the amount off, adjust in the offset menu, then re-save. Much quicker.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Yes, of course and it does a fine job. I just find using Subler easier because if there is a sync problem, you have to adjust the HB offset, then re-encode. With Subler, you can just add the file and if the sync is off, you measure the amount off, adjust in the offset menu, then re-save. Much quicker.
Good point. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.