Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
I figure this needs to be in a new thread, since it's a backwards situation.

I have a GTX 980 Ti from MacVidCards in my 4,1->5,1 Mac Pro, and it's working fantastically in every way.

Looking to the future, if I were to build a new PC video editing system, how would this MVC flashed card work in a PC with the current version of Windows? I understand that it's nonsense to buy a PC card, flash it to work in Mac, and then use it in a PC, but I'm thinking about the prospect of repurposing it down the road someday, if the Mac Pro dies in a way that makes it too costly to repair, or the CPUs just get too old to be useful. By then, maybe the 980 Ti is also too old, but still curious.

I'm wondering if the flash overwrites needed data for a normal PC in Windows to run the card normally.

CapnDavey

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2015
no different then any other of the same card for PC's the EFI and legacy bios are hybrid

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
An EFI card in a PC will work without problems. The EFI part of the card bios will just be ignored in a PC.

vailr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2009
An EFI card in a PC will work without problems. The EFI part of the card bios will just be ignored in a PC.
That's not completely true, with modern (standard PC) UEFI bios motherboards. The EFI video card bios would be used during the boot-up process. Whether a modded video card EFI bios would function identically to an unmodified video card: try it and see if it works. It may work okay, but the boot process could be slowed, in comparison. It shouldn't be too difficult to flash the card back to a standard PC EFI video card bios, in any case. The flash procedure would require installation of a 2nd video card hooked to a monitor, for initiating and observing while the flash procedure occurs.
Ideally, Apple would just drop their requirement for the video firmware having a "special" EFI bios, and enable using standard PC video cards into their ecosystem.

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
That's not completely true, with modern (standard PC) UEFI bios motherboards. The EFI video card bios would be used during the boot-up process. Whether a modded video card EFI bios would function identically to an unmodified video card: try it and see if it works. It may work okay, but the boot process could be slowed, in comparison. It shouldn't be too difficult to flash the card back to a standard PC EFI video card bios, in any case. The flash procedure would require installation of a 2nd video card hooked to a monitor, for initiating and observing while the flash procedure occurs.
Ideally, Apple would just drop their requirement for the video firmware having a "special" EFI bios, and enable using standard PC video cards into their ecosystem.

I don't think it's that complicated. A Mac EFI GPU can always boot in legacy mode. AFAIK, almost all EFI supported motherboard can set to boot in legacy mode. That means a MVC flashed 980Ti should able to be used in a PC normally.

Even the card really can't boot in UEFI mode, and we want to flash the card back to it's native UEFI ROM. All we need to do is just boot in legacy mode and flash the card. Shouldn't need a second card etc.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Thank you for the advice.

I have a crappy older PC that I could test it in, but I worry that it would be problematic due to a weak power supply, so I will just keep this info in mind for my future PC build that will happen, unless Apple happens to make a new Mac Pro that can use it. Not holding my breath.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
First of all, I have no idea what I'm talking about so take this with a grain of salt. ;) It would be better if Florian, Netkas, or Dr Stealth would chip in.

But in lieu of a better source, my understanding from what I've read over on Netkas is that when MVC flashes a card, he is adding a new "section" to the ROM, and he is not replacing any existing sections. Since all of the existing PC sections are still there, they will still work fine.

This additional ROM content is why, prior to the GTX680 when Nvidia cards had smaller ROMS, part of the flashing process was to first swap out the ROM chip for a higher capacity part. Because to preserve all of the existing ROM content and add new content required more space.

This does not mean all flashed cards out there are like this, because who knows what random people have done.

Reactions: Synchro3

vailr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2009
A Mac EFI GPU can always boot in legacy mode. AFAIK, almost all EFI supported motherboard can set to boot in legacy mode.
Correct. However, the O.S. boot procedure may balk if it was originally set up to boot in "pure UEFI mode", and then the bios was later switched to "Legacy mode". That's certainly true for the Windows O.S., anyway.
[doublepost=1507933160][/doublepost]
First of all, I have no idea what I'm talking about so take this with a grain of salt. ;) It would be better if Florian, Netkas, or Dr Stealth would chip in.

But in lieu of a better source, my understanding from what I've read over on Netkas is that when MVC flashes a card, he is adding a new "section" to the ROM, and he is not replacing any existing sections. Since all of the existing PC sections are still there, they will still work fine.

This additional ROM content is why, prior to the GTX680 when Nvidia cards had smaller ROMS, part of the flashing process was to first swap out the ROM chip for a higher capacity part. Because to preserve all of the existing ROM content and add new content required more space.

This does not mean all flashed cards out there are like this, because who knows what random people have done.

An MSI branded GTX 650 card of mine originally came from the factory without the EFI firmware. There was later an updated firmware provided on an MSI support forum that did include the EFI firmware, for use in a "pure UEFI mode" Windows installation.
The free Windows utility "GPU-Z" can indicate whether the video card has an EFI firmware or not. At least, it does work with the PC type of video card firmware.
Even onboard Intel video controllers can include an EFI bios, which is located within the motherboard UEFI firmware.

Last edited:

Pizzaman69

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2017
BE VERY CAUTIOUS WHEN DEALING WITH MACVIDCARDS!
I bought a GTX980 off him last fall. Died after 2 weeks. After 6 months of trying to get him to help address the issue, I finally took it into a local shop to get tested and they confirmed it was shot. MVC's finally provided me with directions on how to return it for a replacement, which I did. They then confirmed on their end that the card was bad and asked me for my address so they could send the replacement. I gave it to them. After not seeing anything for a month, I contacted him again for a status update. He replied with 'Is this your address?' but the address he had written in the email was not the address I had provided him with. I replied again with my address, including the original message I had sent, and since them I have heard ZERO from him. It's now been 4 months and he has ignored every email I have sent over that time. I have tried replying to his messages and sending new messages through his contact for, but absolutely nothing back. So at this point it looks like he sold me a bad card, cost me further money to return the old one and kept my original USD600. BE VERY CAUTIOUS WHEN DEALING WITH MACVIDCARDS!

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
BE VERY CAUTIOUS WHEN DEALING WITH MACVIDCARDS!
I bought a GTX980 off him last fall. Died after 2 weeks. After 6 months of trying to get him to help address the issue, I finally took it into a local shop to get tested and they confirmed it was shot. MVC's finally provided me with directions on how to return it for a replacement, which I did. They then confirmed on their end that the card was bad and asked me for my address so they could send the replacement. I gave it to them. After not seeing anything for a month, I contacted him again for a status update. He replied with 'Is this your address?' but the address he had written in the email was not the address I had provided him with. I replied again with my address, including the original message I had sent, and since them I have heard ZERO from him. It's now been 4 months and he has ignored every email I have sent over that time. I have tried replying to his messages and sending new messages through his contact for, but absolutely nothing back. So at this point it looks like he sold me a bad card, cost me further money to return the old one and kept my original USD600. BE VERY CAUTIOUS WHEN DEALING WITH MACVIDCARDS!

I'm sorry to hear that... I've had nothing but great experiences with MVC, both on the sales side and on the support side. I would suggest contacting your credit card company. I'm sure they will be able to get the attention of MVC.

Reactions: TheStork

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Mr. Pizzaman has been a member here for close to 5 months. He has 4 posts. All concern MVC and all are negative. Two of the posts are exactly the same but posted in different threads. I also have had great experiences with MVC (three cards now) over the past few years.

Lou

Reactions: TheStork

roobarb!

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2009
Mr. Pizzaman has been a member here for close to 5 months. He has 4 posts. All concern MVC and all are negative. Two of the posts are exactly the same but posted in different threads. I also have had great experiences with MVC (three cards now) over the past few years.
I can echo that. My 1080 Ti shipped from the US just as promised and is humming away happily in this Mac Pro right now. Top notch.

Fl0r!an

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2007

On older UEFI capable cards (e.g. GCN 1.0 or Kepler generation), the UEFI portion gets overwritten by the Mac EFI section. After flashing, those GPUs lose the ability to boot in pure UEFI mode on PCs (legacy mode obviously still works).

Not sure how MVC flashed Maxwell/Pascal GPUs work in normal PCs. Legacy booting will most likely work, not sure about UEFI.

Reactions: ActionableMango

pertusis1

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Texas
I can echo that I have had nothing but good experiences with MVC. Using a 7970 in my 5,1 for several years now hassle-free.

Once in a while, he's hard to get ahold of for a few weeks because modding cards isn't his day job, but in the numerous threads addressing this issue, he seems to always make things right in the end.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
I'm envious of all of you with your great experiences with MVC, unfortunately in my case the jury is still out.
Based on the glowing reports on this forum I purchased a card from MVC in early October.
The card did not work out for me so I returned it for a refund on Oct 15th.
MVC acknowledged receipt of the card on Oct 28th but has not responded to several emails I've sent asking for an update regards to my returned card.
His lack of communication is concerning.
So I'm beginning to wonder......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.