mvoing from downloads folder to another folder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iamnew, Jul 6, 2011.

1. iamnew macrumors newbie

I am so new to this and really trying to be patient with myself. Could someone please help me by telling me how to move a file from the downloads folder to another folder? Right now I try to drag it over to another folder but it just "springs right back. Thank you

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Try opening the folder by pressing the little arrow at the top of the stack then dragging the file to the desired location

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

#2 - Huh?

#1 - You highlight the file, hold the mouse button down when you click on it, and drag it to the other folder, then release the mouse button. There's no other way to explain that simple procedure, so the problem must be in your description of what you're doing.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Are you trying to drag to a so-called "proxy icon"? That won't work - you need to open a Finder window pointed at the second folder, THEN drag the file.

5. Young Spade macrumors 68020

You can't move the downloads folder. It's there permanently. You can't delete it, remove it, or rename it. It's a required folder. You can make an alias (right click or control click) and then put that alias wherever you want.

The alias is a shortcut that will link directly to the downloads folder.

6. John T macrumors 68020

John T

If you're having difficulty "dragging and dropping" a file, just right-click on it (in the downloads folder) and when the menu appears, click on "Copy". Then, move to your required location, right-click and then click on "Paste Item". When you've done that, you can return to the downloads folder and delete the file you've just copied.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

OP was asking about moving files within the Downloads folder.