Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

You are the One

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 25, 2014
In the present
Some nice apps I didn't know about. I liked Living Earth. Blotter seems cool as well.

Yes, SuperDuper ofc. Haven tried it on El Cap though. Turns out ShirtPocket has released an El Cap compatible version of SuperDuper. You can find it here.

FindAnyFile is great, and VLC for media player.

Hoping for GPGTools to come out with a compatible version as well.

Cookie is another invaluable app I constantly use. There is a beta here. Works fine for me except it doesn't delete cache. Haven't tried the latest, maybe he has fixed that to. (nope, still not able to remove cache in 4.4h)

Last edited:

RageDaddy

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2015
VLC suck's hairy balls compared to movist. You can change various settings in movist and make it your own. Best videoplayer i have ever used (inc. windows and linux).

You are the One

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 25, 2014
In the present
VLC suck's hairy balls compared to movist. You can change various settings in movist and make it your own. Best videoplayer i have ever used (inc. windows and linux).

Possible. I use VLC for mp3 and flac (quickly listening through plies of music), and streamed Inet radio as well. I like the simplicity and versatility of it.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
Except VMWare Fusion and Parallels Desktop :D They are both leaps and bounds better.

Virtualbox is awesome for free software though.

Fusion and Parallels keep wanting to monetize their software almost yearly. It's like you're paying a subscription fee for them but I don't want to play that game. Ergo, as you say, Innotek's Virtual Box.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Aperture. I need to move to something else like Lightroom at some point, but I've got some 50,000 plus photos (and videos) organized in folders, projects, and events and I'm not sure how well they would transfer over.

Next to that, iTunes because of my rather large library that is organized and syncs to my iPod Classic.

Troy2000

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2009
Note: I am excluding larger software packages such as Adobe CS/CC, Logic Pro and Autodesk Maya

SmoothMouse

When I began using OS X alongside Windows in early 2009, I found its mouse latency and sluggish acceleration curve to be quite frustrating. Even more frustrating was the fact that almost nobody else seemed to notice it and simply thought I was being silly. Along came SmoothMouse a few years later and solved both problems. It is now always the first piece of software that I install after OS X.

Audio Hijack 3
A magnificent piece of software developed by Rogue Amoeba which I have found absolutely invaluable for anything that requires live audio routing or mixing. It has full support for VST and Audio Units plugins, which really makes it endlessly extensible. Logic might seem to be a more comprehensive choice for this type of work and while that may be true, Audio Hijack's more purpose built interface makes it faster to work with in a live environment.

Soundflower
Another Rogue Amoeba tool which I almost always use in conjunction with Audio Hijack. It is very similar to Virtual Audio Cable for Windows and I use it as an output target for Audio Hijack when hosting live streams.

Motion 5
I can not believe that Apple sells this piece of software for EUR 50. It is a well designed compositor with capabilities ranging from particle systems to tracking, keying and rotoscoping. It compliments my more expensive compositors well and often simplifies tasks which would otherwise require a nontrivial amount of scripting.

Affinity Photo
An excellent image editor that is far more lightweight than Photoshop while retaining most of its photo editing functionality. Again, I would consider this application more of a companion to Photoshop than a replacement.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhiLLoW

Cinder6

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2009
Probably Ulysses.

But Affinity Photo & Designer are quickly getting to that point, as well.

Last edited:

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Fusion and Parallels keep wanting to monetize their software almost yearly. It's like you're paying a subscription fee for them but I don't want to play that game.

That does suck but mostly you get a couple of years out of each version.

The performance is just too much better than Virtualbox to ignore them though.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Does Mac ID work 100% of the time? I use Knock and sometimes it doesn't recognize it and therefore I'm forced to type my password in.
In El Capitan it does works, 99% of the total time, I can only say.

I think this app is fairly reliable.

You are the One

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 25, 2014
In the present
I've been using DevonThink for the last couple of weeks and I must say it's a super app for working with information on the mac. I do a lot of research as well as process a lot of information for work and this is an app I really like.

I highly recommend it for anyone working with information.

Reactions: Cassady

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Homebrew
Atom
Cookies
Scrivener
Papers

Recently discovered Quiver als an alternative for Evernote. They are so much alike, but Quiver just nails the word processing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.