Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

All Withings products will be rebranded under Nokia by the summer, according to Withings CEO Cédric Hutchings. The announcement was made on Sunday during Nokia's event at Mobile World Congress 2017 in Barcelona, Spain.

Withings makes iOS-compatible smart connected home products as well as a range of health and fitness wearables. Nokia bought the French health tracking company last year for an estimated $192 million. The acquisition saw Withings' 200 employees integrate into Nokia Technologies when the deal went through in June.

withings_nokia.0-e1488196667857-800x402.jpg

As well as the rebranding, the Withings CEO said the company would release a redesigned Health Mate app later this year that will bring an "improved user experience" and new data sharing features. Nokia is also set to launch a new Patient Care program similar to Apple's Healthkit that will allow patients to share data medical doctors.

In related news, Nokia also announced a new modern variant of its original 3310 mobile phone, first launched back in September 2000. Made by HMD Global, which bought the right to make Nokia phones last year, the new version retains the same name - and even includes classic game Snake - but runs Nokia's more advanced Series 30+ software. It also features a 2.4-inch QVGA display, a 2 megapixel camera, and a microSD slot.

nokia_3310_range_custom-e8706d670f55fd9b3f383f73f5500cf30b0eb79a-s1600-c85-800x503.jpg

The new 3310 supports Bluetooth and comes with Opera Mini installed for basic web surfing. Talk time is said to be 22 hours, but the big draw is likely to be the featurephone's 31-day standby time.

The Nokia 3310 will be available in a number of candy colors and should arrive later in the spring for the price of $52.

Article Link: MWC 2017: Nokia Announces Withings Rebrand and Nokia 3310 Reboot

admwright

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
Scotland
Poor men mobile phone.

But, Nokia telephones where one of the sturdiest mobile phones, they had the best hardware, symbian couldn't keep up though.

Definitely sturdy and long lasting. I am still using my original 3310, it is all you need for calls and texts and the battery lasts for ages.

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
Not every one wants a smartphone but smartphone users want a backup phone that last a month without charging.

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
What a load of crap if they are gonna re brand the 3310 at least make it look like old one for old memeries this is nothing like the 3310 its just cheap rubbish phone, and i bet drug dealers will love this phone lol
[doublepost=1488199249][/doublepost]
Not every one wants a smartphone but smartphone users want a backup phone that last a month without charging.
Its really not a big deal charging why does everyone moan about it, charge it over night of get portable charger

Reactions: AdeFowler

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
Withings was a good purchase for nokia, they make good products.

The 3310 will be a hit. Not every one wants a smartphone and this will be very cheap.
My step dad will love the 3310. He just wants basic sturdy phone. He doesn't care at all about smart phones and just wants basic phone to have.

swm

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2013
That standby time makes the 3310 a great secondary emergency device. Throw one in the glove compartment in case you ever get stuck in the snow with no iPhone battery. I'll buy one for the wife.
or you can just buy a $3 usb charger for your car. in any case, the 12V automotive battery in your car can keep your iphone running forever. or recharge it anytime. even when it is not able to start your car.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
What a load of crap if they are gonna re brand the 3310 at least make it look like old one for old memeries this is nothing like the 3310 its just cheap rubbish phone, and i bet drug dealers will love this phone lol
[doublepost=1488199249][/doublepost]
Its really not a big deal charging why does everyone moan about it, charge it over night of get portable charger

If you're in the middle of nowhere or a place which frequently struggles with apocalypse weather, a basic phone that stays charged for ages is pretty useful to have. The less it does, the less that can potentially go wrong.

It's good to have for peace of mind, at the absolute least.

Reactions: justperry

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
If you're in the middle of nowhere or a place which frequently struggles with apocalypse weather, a basic phone that stays charged for ages is pretty useful to have. The less it does, the less that can potentially go wrong.

It's good to have for peace of mind, at the absolute least.

And Nokia's were one of the best regarding reception, where others drops call Nokia's always had sufficient signal.
Their Hardware were second to none.

Last edited:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
And Nokia's where one of the best regarding reception, where others drops call Nokia's always had sufficient signal.
Their Hardware were second to none.

Yep, that's what you want. Reliability, sturdy build quality, and a strong signal. Not a product with a touchscreen which might crack under temperature fluctuations or when dropped.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Agreed. In the US, "Withings" has the brand recognition. "Nokia" is dead-and-buried (IMHO).

Maybe it's different in Europe?

Guess it depends on your exposure to "Withings". I'd never heard of them until this discussion.

And by the time I might be looking to buy another phone, I'd have probably forgotten about them by then. It's not a name that would stick in my mind.

So, from that perspective, I would be more likely to buy a Nokia than a Withings brand phone if I were to walk into a store and buy based on familiarity.

As for the other wearable monitoring devices, I'd never buy those anyway. If I care what my pulse is, I have a finger. I just don't have any interest in a device monitoring my body all the time. And I don't like things on my wrists or body anyway.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
The important thing to know about the 3310 is it will not work in the US.

upload_2017-2-27_9-50-29.png

In the US, GSM bands are 850/1900. So this won't work unless Nokia releases a US-specific sku.
ATT uses 850/1900, is phasing out 2G, so this won't work on ATT no matter what.
T-Mobile uses 1900, but will also likely phase out 2G soon.
OBviously, forget about Sprint/Verizon supporting this.
Also, I think one of the best things about the original 3310 was the removable faceplates, and being able to buy cheapo faceplates and buttons on ebay with outlandish designs. Without that, this is just bar feature phone with poor network compatibility.

I do hope some company makes a durable high-battery life feature phone that supports modern LTE bands used in the US for VoLTE and future-proofing, and open VoIP protocols to be able to sign into your VoIP provider of choice. No apps needed, no web browser needed, but it would be nice to give something to my grandpa that just works for his cellular number and for this Google Voice number, on a network that won't be phased out in the next five years.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
31 hours of stand by time and 22 hours of talk time. And yet, it's still a pocketable phone. I would love to have those numbers for my iPhone 7. Obviously there are trade off's.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
I know I'll buy one just for nostalgia.

Clever move actually. Although it should have a camera with a little more ooomph.

I'm not expecting a 12MP shooter with optical image stabilization, but I think 5MP for a major brand should be the lower end these days, sensors really aren't that expensive anymore, but hey, the price is quite reasonable and they surely don't generate as ridiculous margins as Apple and Samsung, so I'm complaining on a pretty high level here.

Can I still play Snake on it? If not, it's a no go.
It will indeed ship with Snake, it says so right in the article. :)

Glassed Silver:mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.