Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Re: Does anyone think...

Originally posted by boobers

That does seem very likely to make a better distinction between the proline and the consumer line...if they don't whip out the G5 then this dual idea seems very likely to me.

Thanks. It just seems that they need to do *SOMETHING* more to differentiate between the pro and cosumer lines and DDR Ram alone isn't enough in my book.

Maybe we'll see all duals. But we WILL NOT see any PDA ;)

m

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Re: What buses?

Originally posted by DavPeanut
What buses would they use with 1.2 Ghz and 1.4 Ghz. It would have to be 200 Mhz busses to work. I don't think that will happen, but its possible. Imagine DDR. 400 Mhz! That would be so frickin' sweet. I'm pretty sure the iMac's going 1 Ghz.
Why??? A 133 bus will multiply up nicely to 1.2 and 1.4ghz.

133 x 9 = 1.2
133 x 10.5 = 1.4

Now, there is that little thing about the G4 being limited to 10x the system bus speed.

Ouroboros

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2002
Oakland, CA
Well this 133mhz bus thing will probably stay in my opinion. By the way, isn't the Pentium 4 at 533mhz bus? Which means it is quad pumped at 133mhz right? Any experts here want to speculate if maybe Apple could work with Motorola and do this? Is this in a document about a G4 revision? That would be interesting and cool. Maybe a separate bus for each processor? Who knows. But everyone DOES know that the current chips are sort of starved and waiting because the bus and memory or holding it back a bit. That's why they have large L3 caches. Interesting stuff...

iH8Quark

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Big Shoulders
IMHO if Jaguar doesn't support 64 bit on some level, this is a good indication that anything resembling the "G5" won't be arriving for at least a year.

The G4 is such a limited chip (again IMO). I can't figure out what the deal is with them. Their multimedia playback is so poor compared to other chips (both flash and video). And altivec is some kind of marketing smoke and mirrors job. It's really not all that great. Although FCP _is_ truly amazing. But to think that Apple is taking a chip with so many limitations and compounding the problem by putting really old technology around them is baffling.

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love my mac. I love OS X. But I do not have any warm feelings towards the G4. So I am HOPING for the G5...but I think not a chance. :rolleyes:

I think the 1.4 GHz is an ambitious prediction, too. I woud be happy with new REALLY fast RAM and BUS, and component interfaces. (not "just enough to get by")

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
The French dealer site is down.

The link's dead now.

There was a french site that posted some pretty detailed specs around the time of a Macworld event in the past year or so, I can't remember which macworld it was near but it had model numbers and everything. I read about it on here I'm sure but I didn't bookmark the link to it.

I'm guessing it's the same company that's doing it now, the specs we're way off if I remember right, I also remember another time where a similar thing happened and the specs we're dead on.

I think if the specs are super detailed, model numbers and everything, it seems quite reasonable that they could have got the info from an insider at apple, only if it's very close to the expo though. The past few times someone posted the exact specs of up coming models so I'm taking anything I read from now until a few days before the expo as pure rumour and speculation. Specs posted 1 or 2 days before an expo are something that have turned out to be true a few times now though.

here's what I'd like to see anyway:

1Ghz G4, 2Mb L3, 256Mb DDR, ATA100, 60Gb 7200rpm HD, DVD/CDRW combo.
1.4Ghz G4 (maybe only 1.333Ghz), 2Mb L3, 256Mb DDR, ATA100, 80Gb 7200rpm HD, DVD-R/CDRW combo.
1.2Ghz G4 Dual, 2Mb L3, 512Mb DDR, ATA100, 100Gb 7200rpm HD, DVD-R/CDRW combo.

Case redesign with more attention paid to usability than eyecandy, keep the flip down door, add an option to have 2 5 1/4" optical drives, put audio inputs back, give us drive eject buttons, front USB, Firewire and headphone ports.

What I really will see could be a different story.

I'd probably go with the high clock speed G4s being only single CPU models with the top end system using dual medium speed chips like the old 733,867 and dual 800Mhz range. That way all the power isn't given to those who can afford the high end, the mid range model will offer more value for money and the high end model will still toast the others at most tasks under OS X.

Ouroboros

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2002
Oakland, CA
Re: ~Ouroboros

Originally posted by Grokgod
Why do you say that the 133 bus will stay?

You know that the server is using Ddram , right.

maybe I am misunderstanding you?

Well sorry to say but it is just a hunch. The Pentium 4 and AMD apparently still have 133mhz bus of some sort, but they have multiple pipes of 133mhz. For example, the Pentium 4 touts a 533mhz bus, but that is simply: 133mhz x 4 = 533mhz (if my figures are inaccurate now, sorry!). But I read somewhere that currently the G4 simply doesn't support a speed of higher than 133mhz, at least this iteration.

But then again, Motorola also is trying to slap on features with each new G4 -- the slated new model (whenever that happens) is supposed to have support for DDR, and I *think* 166mhz bus or something. My memory on this isn't so good, and of course, it is from reading comments on Appleinsider (which I might add, is VERY interesting, there seems to be some extremely technical minded people over there) -- blah blah, of course I'm speculating!

But one thing that is interesting: WHY is it SO HARD to find ANYTHING on the new future processors?? I mean almost nobody knows a damn thing!!!

In a way, I find that HIGHLY encouraging... Because someone might think that there is something awfully important to hide.

Ouroboros

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2002
Oakland, CA
One question to you all:

Did anyone, anywhere, get the G4 iMac before it came out? Any rumor site? Ignore Time Canada. I don't think anyone was prepared for it being a G4. (Which I might add was the biggest leap that Apple has done in its history with Jobs) The reason I'm asking is that it is seems possible that in the past year or so, Apple has really learned how to keep a tight ship with rumors. And yes, I'm asking because it would be nice to be surprised with some amazing left field announcement!

Inhale420

macrumors regular
May 4, 2002
Originally posted by Foocha
MWNY is MacWorld New York. As opposed to MWSF - MacWorld San Fransico.

Strangely I've never seen MWP for MacWorld Paris, or MWT for MacWorld Tokyo - I guess they're not as catchy!

If you don't ask, you don't get!

because 'NY' is the abbreviation for new york. P is not the abbreviation for paris.

GabrielX

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2002
Omaha
Originally posted by Inhale420

because 'NY' is the abbreviation for new york. P is not the abbreviation for paris.

Yeah, but SF isn't really the abbreviation for San Fransisco, at least not in any place I've been.

Gabriel

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by GabrielX

Yeah, but SF isn't really the abbreviation for San Fransisco, at least not in any place I've been.

just curious what abbreviation for san francisco you've seen?

i guess san fran or something. but anything 2 letters not "sf"?

Joshlew

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2002
Wales
Mac World Predictions....

Dual 1.4Ghz G4's = Hopefully
1ghz = With a bit of luck
iCam = Who knows?

My point is, none of us know what's going to happen so I'm just going to sit back and wait,...... and wait,......and wait,.........Oh stuff it, lets browse the web!:D

sturm375

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
Bakersfield, CA
Optimistic:
PowerMac: DDR RAM, ATA133, New Case Design w/ front side FireWire & USB (2.0:eek: ), 4 Memory Slots for 8 GB possible RAM (PC2700 or faster), Bus speed increase, Speed bump up to 1.3 Ghz, Bigger Hard Drives (160 GB).

iMac G4: Speed bump to 1 Ghz, Super Drive for top 2 models, Screen resolution increase, Bluetooth, Wireless Keyboard, Better video card w/TV out, Bigger Hard Drives.

PowerBook: Speed bump to 1 Ghz, 2 FireWire ports, nVidia GeForce ToGo, Superdrive in Top Model, Audio in, Bigger Hard Drives.

iBook: 14" screen on all. G4 in top of the line, minor speed bump, bigger hard drives

iPod: 20 GB, Color screen, PC Compatibility, Digital Coax out.

OS X: Announcement of the impeanding release date for Jaguar-iChat, Address stuff, QE, QT6, ...etc AND that OS X will support 64-bit processors, up to 8 parallel processors, and time table for G5(64-bit Clawhammer Special)

Realistic:

Minor speed bumps in most products, bigger hard drives with the possible exception of the iPod, no announcement of G5 64-bit ....etc.

tcmcam

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2002
Here's my big hope for the MWNY:

1. PowerMac redo. There just isn't a huge gap right now between the iMac LCD and the PowerMac line, hopefully that will change.

2. New Case Design - Quicksilver is old now.
- Case should hold 2 5.25" optical drives (for a fast CD/RW)
- Case should be QUIET compared to current lineup.
- Bring back audio in
- My guess is the case will be white like the iMac LCD and Airport.

3. Motherboard
- DDR RAM
- 66 mhz PCI
- ATA-100 (or better yet ATA-133)

4. New Apple Displays. Their 17-inch should be ditched in favor of a 19-inch with the same resolution. Lower Prices, right now a beautiful 19-inch Viewsonic with DVI is less than a 17-inch Apple display. Fix it.

Jack

Joshlew

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2002
Wales
I agree.

PC's are far cheaper, these days, and if apple want to succeed in the mass-market they need to severly cut the prices of all their products. You can get a 2.2Ghz P4 for under $1500 !

Ouroboros

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2002
Oakland, CA
I've been thinking that the coolest idea for a new case design would be thin sheets of black and grey metal or metal like plastic, encasing in a 1/4" thick casing of clear plastic all the way around (Notice the thick top veneer plasic on an ipod, but thicker clear plastic). Now I'd be happy with looks like that....

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
At MWNY, I think the mainstream G4 with DDR is a definate.Its a long shot for the G5, since there hasn't been even a cough from Apple on the subject.

Also, I think Apple should ditch the sub-par Geforce 4 MX, bitch for a mac version of the Geforce 3 Ti family and unveil it just in time to pair it with the G4- DDR. I mean, jeeze nVidia, look at ATI. They've got their 8000 series and 7000 series all macified with ADC and everything. The Geforce 4's vary too much to be pratical. Apple wants to put a good graphics card in their low end systems. The geforce 3 ti 200 could easly do the job or the Geforce 4 MX 4xx. The geforce 4 mx just isn't good enough to put in any system above $2000, thats why I place it in the low end. Or the geforce 3 ti 500 for the higher priced G4s and the geforce 4 ti 4600 for the highest.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Re: The Real Deal.

Originally posted by imamacguy17
Lets look at the past year. shall we. We got a new iMac. We got updates to the Tibook, and the iBook. We got the Xserve and all of the new software. For MWNY the only hardware we will see is a new "final" G4. Bottem line the Xserve is still using a G4 and it is proudly proclaimed. The final G4 will sport a new enclosure and all the features of the Xserve. Monitors will probably get an update because they need them (and a price cut most likely 100-300 bucks across the line) As for inkwell the usual one more think and the we cant paint all the numbers together into a picture. The device will be a tablet computer. It will be about the size of a notebook 8.5 x 11 inches and only 1 inch thick. Instead of a keyboard for imput it has a writable screen and it will run the full OS X. It will have the full range of conections as well as an ADC conection for a dock. The dock will look like the "frames" of the current monitors and will house a power supply. This combines all of the convience of a laptop, the portably of a pda, abd function of a workstation. This is the future. This is the way. Macintosh.

I like your style man. yeah.

For the record, no G5 @ MWNY.
Jaguar announced to release mid august which is when new Towers start to ship. Dual 1.4GHZ top w/ 400MHZ bus and DDR.
New software. Talk about the apple stores/marketing, and increasing market share.

Also, Updated iMac, a small one...and maybe some new video/graphics support,hardware, software...I dont know, but something for this area WILL happen....ALso, education....

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by GabrielX

Gabriel

As a San Francisco resident, I can vouch for SF being our abbrev. sfgiants.com gets you to our teams homepage. Our Modern art Museum is the SFMoma. Mail addressed to S.F., CA gets there.

What we really hate is 'Frisco. Sure sign of a tourist, and almost certainly from the evil Southern end of the state.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
I also wanted to say that I think Apple will unveil some sort of CRT type monitor. The eMac showed us that Apple hasn't COMPLETELY forgotten about the CRT. I know most people wouldn't want a CRT because of the heat and the bulk and the weight, but how does 1600x1200 in a 17 inch sound?? Thats the MAXIMUM resoultion of the new 23 inch HD display. Paired with some high end graphics card, the CRT would make games and the GUI of OSX look like it just got some major plastic surgery.

Joshlew

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2002
Wales
Yeah, having a CRT based system would be advantageous to apple. It would dramatically decrease the price, and fill the gap in apple's line-up - low end computers.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by Joshlew
Yeah, having a CRT based system would be advantageous to apple. It would dramatically decrease the price, and fill the gap in apple's line-up - low end computers.

And Apple would no-doubt overcharge for the CRT. Those old 17"ers were way to o expensive.... like $399 or $499??? Yikes. And I don't think they'll go 19" either...But here's what I think:

15" LCD at $399 competes with 17". If you want cheaper, go buy a $100 KDS CRT or something

17" LCD at $699 competes with high end flat 19".

19" LCD at $1199

22" LCD Cinema goes down to $1999

23" LCD Cinema goes down in price to $2499

Now how's that for a range of monitors.... everyone started with the "We need a CRT" after the eMac announcment... I think apple's gonna just make the LCD more attractive. ;)

m

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
SJ ate crow when the eMac was released ("death of the CRT" with the G4 iMac).

Do you really think he would do it again and intro another CRT-based system? Not likely.

G5orbust-
A 17" CRT at 1600x1200 is not a pretty thing...hell, it's barely tolerable in a 19". The 23" CHD has a 1920x1200 max res...nice try though.:p

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by Moxiemike

15" LCD at $399 competes with 17". If you want cheaper, go buy a $100 KDS CRT or something

17" LCD at $699 competes with high end flat 19".

19" LCD at $1199

22" LCD Cinema goes down to $1999

23" LCD Cinema goes down in price to $2499

Think a little outside the box here. My speculation -

17", 19" and 23" - drop the 22"

the 17" is actually a 15" with a different aspect ratio that is the wide format found in the 22" and 23"

the 19" would wider than the current 17", but the same height, geting you the wide format again

drop the 22" since it is redundant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.