Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
An anonymous submission today points to some possible releases at MWSF in January:
New eMacs

1.6 Ghz G5 across the line -- 533 mhz bus like the iMac. ATI Radeon 9600 with 64 MB VRAM.

Combo $899
Superdrive $999

New Powerbooks

G5s are nowhere near ready as are dual G4s. There will however be slight upgrades and price drops.

12" - upgrade to 1.5 Ghz G4, BT/AE built in (like the new iBooks), 80 GB HD, Mobility Radeon 9700 (64 MB) Price $1399
15" - upgrade to 1.67 Ghz G4, BT/AE built in, 80 GB, Backlit keyboard standard, Mobility Radeon 9800 (128 MB VRAM) Price - $2299
17" - Same as 15" except 17" display - $2599

Keynote 2
-new transitions
-GREATLY improved performance
-New 'media tab' allowing easy access to photos, music and movies -- similar to how it is integrated in iDVD

Quicktime NG (next-gen)

First major change in the .mov format since QT 3. Integrated H.264, MP4, and Wavelet technology.
Support for .ogg, heAAC, and FLAC audio. (these will also be available for playback in new iTunes)
Apple is currently negotiating to get the full trailer for Episode III and the full trailer for Batman Begins to be released on keynote day -- to view would require download of NG.
New Pro key needed. Lower Price $19

pourhadi

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2003
Eh, that's all well and good (and probably on-the-mark), but we need something else... like a new hardware device or little piece of software. Something that's keynote worthy, not boring speed bumps.

flashPod would be interesting, but I'm getting sick of Macworld turning into iPodworld.

But then again, I guess there's not much we can do about that :p

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Anonymous? I'll call it a "guess" and make mine:

* No eMac G5 in January due to G5 shortages. But soon: once the iMac backlog settles down.

* I too am conservative in PowerBook predictions. Just like the PowerMac story once upon a time, we're "hanging in there" with G4 pro laptops for now. In many ways they're the best laptop on the planet--thin, great OS, great display on 15" and 17: (if you don't have defects needing warranty service), lots of ports, etc.... But they're not going to be the fastest in the world for now.

And remember: Apple doesn't focus anymore on having products come out timed with events like MacWorld. Big things happen when they happen.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
afields said:
emac and imac with a g5, g4 for "power"book. Nice.

Yeah at this rate an ibook will get a g5 before a powerbook. I don't really mind the non-dual and non g5, but come on whats with the .17 ghz jumps every 8 mos. In the words of Emril Lagasse (sp?), 'kick it up a notch'.

OasisNYK

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2004
Interesting...no bump in HD size? No higher res screen? No dual layer DVD burning?

Who knows what will really happen but it seems like a solid forecast.

buseman

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2002
QuickTime "next generation" sounds interesting.. I'm more interested in a VBR AAC encoder than ogg, but choice is always good. Keynote 2 is a given, as is PB updates. Hopefully a firm release date for Tiger will also be set..

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
A new eMac G5 would mean one of the shortest product lifecycles since Apple started making their own PPC chipsets -- 8 months since the eMac switched to the DDR Intrepid chipset (4/2004) and ditched the SDR PowerMac chipset (UniNorth/KeyLargo).

Of course this would also put the education users back at the head of the line instead of suffering with the oldest configurations for as long as they have in the past (the iMac CRT was painful to see in the lineup for so long.)

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
pourhadi said:
Eh, that's all well and good (and probably on-the-mark), but we need something else... like a new hardware device or little piece of software. Something that's keynote worthy, not boring speed bumps.

agreed. there's always something completely new, and quicktime ng doesn't qualify. last year there was the ipod mini and garageband. i'd expect something new and and consumery along those lines.

jtgotsjets

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2004
Lawrence, KS
dongmin said:
agreed. there's always something completely new, and quicktime ng doesn't qualify. last year there was the ipod mini and garageband. i'd expect something new and and consumery along those lines.

iPhone?

iPod Flash?

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Sun Baked said:
A new eMac G5 would mean one of the shortest product lifecycles since Apple started making their own PPC chipsets -- 8 months since the eMac switched to the DDR Intrepid chipset (4/2004) and ditched the SDR PowerMac chipset (UniNorth/KeyLargo).

Of course this would also put the education users back at the head of the line instead of suffering with the oldest configurations for as long as they have in the past (the iMac CRT was painful to see in the lineup for so long.)

As of recent as other have noted that Apple is not sticking to its same time-frames as previous. No more announcing products at Expos only and no more timed updates as long as its ready it released.

Why should the eMac users suffer, heck at those prices I might be tempted to buy an eMac G5 (which will use the rev A G5 chips 130nm), and as long as it has even the 5200 Graphic Card at that price its a steal. :)

This only means that the iMac G5 and PMG5 will be getting a BETTER graphics card (finally a 128).

And why the long wait to just update the powerbooks to 1.5-1.67GHz that seems false to me. They could have updated it with the iBooks maybe even a 1.7 for the 17" that would have made more sense, and release a G5 powerbook in spring if by then ready.

The 12" PowerBook looks tempting however the iBooks and PowerBooks are stepping on each other toes, at this point.

And I also agree no HD resolution, no faster 8x mobile burners (there are available now), no HDD increase. PowerBooks are looking like a bad deal even with the price drops.

QuickTime NG, a name change and new key required. Now that sounds promising indeed.

I agree with SOME of these predictions, seems weak overall where are the Xserver updates and the mini update.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
The predictions seem to be modest ones. Will be looking forward to the Quicktime. Still think that Steve will have a surprise.

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Support for .ogg, heAAC, and FLAC audio. (these will also be available for playback in new iTunes)

Does this mean .ogg support in iPods? I've talked to several people who don't buy iPods because of the lack of .ogg support.

New key for quicktime? Not good. I like my key! :)

JangoFett124

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
One thing that I see wrong with this is the release of the Episode III trailer. It has been officially confirmed that the full Episode III trailer won't be released until March.

crakly

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2004
London calling
i predict a bore-note - everything above is probably correct, together with iPod mini upgrades and demo of new tiger features.

they have to do something with the damn powerbooks - they've done amazing things with it before and i can't believe they've let it slip so badly. the powerbook should be apple's flagship product - a perfect combination of power and portability.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
crakly said:
i predict a bore-note - everything above is probably correct, together with iPod mini upgrades and demo of new tiger features.

they have to do something with the damn powerbooks - they've done amazing things with it before and i can't believe they've let it slip so badly. the powerbook should be apple's flagship product - a perfect combination of power and portability.

If they put an HD resolution LCD, that would be neat indeed, faster 8x superdrive, maybe 5400rpm HDD standard plus more ram. :)

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Dead giveaways

There are two dead giveaways that someone is playing a guessing game here.

1) OGG support...this is pretty much the Sasquatch of the /. audio crowd.

2) FLAC. No reason to implement FLAC when the Apple Lossless Codec is being used for anything and everything Apple needs for lossless encoding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.