MX 1000 or MX Revolution?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by daneoni, Dec 17, 2007.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

So i've come to a painful realisation that i simply cant use my V270 as a heavy duty day-today mouse with my iMac but rather it has to remain a notebook mouse as i originally intended.

I tried to use the MM that came with the iMac but it's ergonomic-al design is very poor and my hands end up hurting even worse than the V270

As a result i've decided to buy a new mouse i've been looking at the MX Revolution, i got to play with my friends one briefly and it was very comfortable and just felt right in my hands but its too freaking expensive £51!!!. However, if i have to, i'll spring for it eventually because at the end of the day you can't put a price on easing pain and preventing RSI.

Another mouse i was looking at is the slightly older MX 1000 and thats cheaper at £36 and i'd easily take that but i dunno how well it works.

Was wondering if anyone has experiences with both or individually and how they like them. Which would you suggest i go for?

BTW if anyone has any recommendations for a wireless (RF) desktop mouse for a decent price...i'm all ears

Thanks in advance.

2. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I personally like the MX Revolution a lot better due to the ball bearing scroll wheel and the side wheel. I did think the MX 1000 was very comfortable. Never had a problem with either receiver.

3. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

cubbie5150

I've been using my MX1000 for 2 1/2 years....by far the best mouse I've ever used. I wish I could find a new replacement for it, but here in the U.S., it seems to be hard to find. I tried the revolution, and unlike most, I just didn't like it for some reason...not sure why, but it just didn't "feel" right to me...

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

MX 1000 user here...had mine for several years and love it. Far and away the best mouse I've ever used. Haven't used the Revolution, so I can't directly compare the two, but I wouldn't hesitate to pick up an MX 1000 for the cheap price unless there's something about the Revolution that really pushes you that way.

5. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Thanks for the replies. Went ahead and got the MX 1000. I hope its good.

6. splashtech macrumors regular

This is something I've been looking at as well, and I'm leaning towards the MX1000. I dont "get" what the side scroll-wheel is even for on the MXRev.

7. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

I'd have to check on the model when I get home (believe it's a MX700), but I've been using the same mouse for probably close to 4 years and love it. I too am going to be sad when it breaks because I've fiddled with the new ones at the store and they don't feel right. Often I find they are too gimicky and twisty, whereas mine currently is curved and has a nice form factor.

8. c073186 macrumors 6502a

Right after the MX Revolution was released, I bought it. I thought it was rather uncomfortable with the side wheel. So I returned it to the store and bought a MX 1000 and I like a lot more.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

MX 1000 user for about 2 years and I love it.

Bought an MX Revolution from Dell for $40 2 weeks ago and finally hooked it up today. Feels very different. As of now, I prefer the MX 1000 but I haven't really given the Revolution a chance.

10. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

11. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

I use a revolution, and i originally i was looking for the MX 1000. after trying out the revolution, i found that while it was not a big enough vertical bulge for my hand. I am a fairly big guy, 6'2" 210 lbs, and my hands are just a bit too big so i have to grip the mouse a lil bit farther back than i feel the designers intended. even so, i am very happy with the mouse, i just wish i didnt pay full price.

12. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Yeah its just a tad bit too expensive. So it seems majority of the vote is going to the MX 1000.

13. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

The "scroll wheel" on the side of the Rev isn't actually a wheel, rather you can "push" it forward or backwards (it has a middle click too), so you can effectively count it as an additional 3 buttons — I use it for Exposé.

The MX1000 was my favorite mouse ever and the MX Revolution is my most favorite mouse ever. :) Both are good and it depends on what you want to spend. I really like the look and feel of the Rev. The scroll wheel is really nice even if you don't use the "free spin" mode. It's just so hefty feeling and a lot easier to use the side scrolling and middle click compared to the small mushy wheel on the MX1000.

p.s. I got my Rev free as a warranty replacement for my MX1000, so I may enjoy it a little more than had I paid for it. ;)

14. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

currently I have the BT Mighty Mouse, but I really want to get a Revolution.

Question I ask myself and you guys is there are only 2 USB ports on my iMac. 1 is taken by the keyboard and currently, the other is taken by a USB 7 port hub (might be a bit of overkill as only 2 of the 7 are in constant use - printer/scanner).

So where would i put the revolution mouse? would it have to be connected to the iMac or can it reliably be used with the USB hub?

Thanks

15. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

The Revolution uses a very small USB dongle (in fact, this is an advantage over the MX1000 that should be mentioned), smaller than a flash drive, about the size of a bluetooth dongle. You should be able to connect it just about anywhere. I have mine in one of the ports on my Apple Keyboard.

16. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

now that's very interesting - having it connected to your keyboard..
    i have the new alu (wired) KB, so it should be fine connected to that.

Have you had any drop outs with it being connected to your kb? is it connection quite reliable?

thanks

17. je1ani macrumors 6502

I connect it to the back of the iMac and have NEVER had a drop out. I have the AL BT KB (Aluminum Bluetooth Keyboard lol) and it's just great the mouse is amazing I am super quick brining up google, spotlight, back, foward, expose, dash, spaces with ease.

18. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I didn't think twice about plugging it into the keyboard, that's how I've always had (wired) mice connected over the years. Really there's no difference between the Revolution (or the MX1000) and any wired mouse in terms of reliability.

19. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

brilliant.. thats what i like to hear..

ordered one too :D

20. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

UPDATE.

So i just got the mouse this morning. Amazon had slight delays in getting it to me but credit to them for making sure i got it before christmas as promised. The mouse feels amazing to hold, it felt perfect and certainly more comfortable than the Revolution. Movement is also precise and the scroll buttons work very well without the addition of software.

All in all i'm very happy thus far and would easily recommend it to anyone looking for a wireless mouse.

Merry Christmas