Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
OK heres the story:

My current Microsoft USB optical mouse is good, not great and wasn't from the start. It was like $20 and at the time Optical mice were just being released. But lately, it gives up on the computer forcing me to unplug it and plug it in again, CONSTANTLY! Anyway, I got an Amazon.com gift certificate a while ago and still have like $200 remaining.

I love my computer (a mac would be better, but...) and I play games, etc. I was thinking about the Logitech MX-1000 laser mouse, the only laser mouse out today. It would be good, as I would be spending $80 on a mouse, a charger cradle and a Wireless RF adapter for the PC, and I would be getting the Laser technology.

I went to amazon.com, and its a little under $60! So, I told my dad I want to get it... he thinks $60 for a mouse is too much but since its a gift certificate I can get it...

SO I need positive reinforcement... or negative comments. Either way, I need to know if for someone like me who loves computers, and always uses them, if a $60 cordless laser mouse would be practical.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
No experience with it... they say it's like going from a trackball type to optical type... but I have trouble understanding that. I guess it doesn't catch on ANYTHING.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
So, I'm getting one I guess...

people with one, is it good? Are there any issues with it?

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
dotdotdot said:
So, I'm getting one I guess...

people with one, is it good? Are there any issues with it?

I LOVE my MX 1000 i cant see using my mac without it, the accuracy makes it a great mouse for any task. Its also compfortable to use and isnt so bad priced now, I think i paid $79 or so back around when it came out.

here is a link to another thread about this mouse, it has some great opinions in it.

Enjoy,
Ed

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
I've got a MX1000, and it's a great mouse - the best multi-button mouse I've ever used.

It really is like the jump from old ball-mice to optical mice again. It's not only that it's smoother physically moving the mouse, but it's so much more accurate / precise.

For example, with my old optical mouse (Apple's bluetooth one) I had the sensitivity one bar from maximum. With my MX1000, I had it 3 from minimum, and it was still moving faster than the Apple one. (this has changed in Tiger though - mouse movement is completely different there)

It's got 7 programmable buttons, as well as your main one and the tilt-wheel - the logitech software does a pretty good job too. (while it's not necessary, it opens up a lot of options)

I just love how solid it feels though. Most mice feel "plasticy," hollow and cheap, even if you've spent a lot of money; the MX1000 is nothing like this. :D

I've also found that with most mice, the wheel or some other part starts to get loose / lose sensitivity after a month or two (Microsoft's mice are terrible for this from my experience - and I've gone with their top-of-the-line models in the past) but I've had my MX1000 well over six months now and it's been perfect.

I love the dock it comes with too - you just drop it in, and it hits the contacts - you don't have to fuss about, trying to get it to stay in just the right position like some I've used in the past.

I've never had it run out on me either, but that's just because I chuck it in the dock every night when I'm done. (although to be fair, I've been using my trackpad a lot more recently)

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
I was also interested in getting this mouse. Has anybody with small hands tried it out? I'm used to a small microsoft wireless optical mouse, and i'm just wondering how it will feel with my relatively small hands (compared to most guys), since it looks much larger from pictures. I guess I could go down to best buy sometime and check it out, but I'm lazy :)

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
If you searched, you'll find people raving about the MX1000. I'm one of them.

The MX1000 is the greatest mouse ever. Tracking? Phew, that's what I call tracking! Solid? As a rock. Buttons? Here's a bucket-full of them.

The only problems I have with it recently: Sometimes the mouse gets wacky and moves the pointer instantly somewhere else, like a gitch in communication. This happens only rarely though.

And the wheel sometimes gets mis-aligned. Like, it scrolls where it should not be - there's notches where when you pass over, it scrolls. But sometimes it gets mis-aligned and it registers a scroll somewhere else... I know this is one muddy explanation, but I hope you get it.

I use it right next to my Mac mini, which has BT and AirPort turned on, AND is metal, so it might have something to do with that.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Raven VII said:
If you searched, you'll find people raving about the MX1000. I'm one of them.

The MX1000 is the greatest mouse ever. Tracking? Phew, that's what I call tracking! Solid? As a rock. Buttons? Here's a bucket-full of them.

The only problems I have with it recently: Sometimes the mouse gets wacky and moves the pointer instantly somewhere else, like a gitch in communication. This happens only rarely though.

And the wheel sometimes gets mis-aligned. Like, it scrolls where it should not be - there's notches where when you pass over, it scrolls. But sometimes it gets mis-aligned and it registers a scroll somewhere else... I know this is one muddy explanation, but I hope you get it.

I use it right next to my Mac mini, which has BT and AirPort turned on, AND is metal, so it might have something to do with that.

Not sure if it makes you feel any better but that occasional and rare "skip" is a known issue on both OS X and Windblowz. Supposedly a new driver is coming soon, by what ive heard its a software issue.

Ed

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
UH OH, here come the glitches part...

so, it sometimes moves and sometimes the scrollwheel gets misaligned? Thats it?

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
dotdotdot said:
UH OH, here come the glitches part...

so, it sometimes moves and sometimes the scrollwheel gets misaligned? Thats it?

My scroll-wheel has never given me ANY issues, but the cursor does at times just jump once, its really rare but it does happen on that rare occasion, again i stress RARE.

Ed

allisonv7

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2004
I've had my MX1000 for a few months and have had no problems with it (knock on wood). The battery life is great too, I usually only put it in the charger every few days, and even then I still have 2/3 power on it.

In your initial post you mentioned bluetooth, unless I'm totally missing something the MX1000 doesn't have bt...maybe I misunderstood you though, it's kindof late :)

allison.

kbonnel

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
In a nice place..
I love my MX1000. I tried many different bluetooth mice in the past, and they*all had issues that I could not live with (mainly the slow lag response and serious battery usage). The MX1000 is super fast, and the battery seems to last forever. I am really hooked on using all the buttons to meet my expose needs.

When I eventually get my G5 PM, I will get another MX1000.

Kimo

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
wrc fan said:
I was also interested in getting this mouse. Has anybody with small hands tried it out? I'm used to a small microsoft wireless optical mouse, and i'm just wondering how it will feel with my relatively small hands (compared to most guys), since it looks much larger from pictures. I guess I could go down to best buy sometime and check it out, but I'm lazy :)
I have the MX510 or something like that, and i find it big, the MX1000 looks bigger...I like the apple bluetooth mouse.... wish it had scroll wheel but i'm manage just fine!!

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
Chicago
puckhead193 said:
I have the MX510 or something like that, and i find it big, the MX1000 looks bigger...I like the apple bluetooth mouse.... wish it had scroll wheel but i'm manage just fine!!

if you have a mac

you should compliment it with an apple bt mouse

so nice!

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Yeah, I'll stress that the cursor thing is RARE. Like, once or so in two weeks of HEAVY use. RARE. Don't worry about it.

The scrollwheel misalignment, seems I'm the only one getting the glitch... Do you guys think it's my Mac mini?

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
Just bought a MX 1000 about 6 hours ago and first impressions are amazing! Still think its a pity its not bluetooth, but I've given up on the search for a decent bluetooth mouse!
I'd say the Cnet review (not completely un-biased, I know!) says enough. It got a 9.5/10 which is higher than any other product I've ever seen them test. Higher than the Ipod even I believe. Simply by far the best mouse on the market at the moment! Make the buy! You won't regret it!

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Whoa, I've just realized the scrolling mis-alignment only happens in Safari (in Tiger). The moment I move my cursor out of the Safari window, scroll once, then go back in, it's aligned again!

So ignore me, it seems to be a Tiger bug, not the fault of the mouse.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
When my dad comes home today I'm placing an order for the MX-1000! I can hardly wait!! lol

But NOW I want the Logitech Z-5300e 5.1 speakers for like $150!

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
dotdotdot said:
I love my computer (a mac would be better, but...) and I play games, etc. I was thinking about the Logitech MX-1000 laser mouse, the only laser mouse out today. It would be good, as I would be spending $80 on a mouse, a charger cradle and a Wireless RF adapter for the PC, and I would be getting the Laser technology.

Please take note that you do NOT need an RF adapter. The charging cradle is the RF receiver and it simply plugs into an open USB port.

I have had this mouse for about 6 months. I can easily say it is the best and most comfortable mouse I have ever used.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
I just typed in my gift certificate from Amazon.com, got it at the amazing low price of $0.00 (for people who want one w/o a certificate its $53!!! AND FOR PEOPLE WITH A VISA CARD ITS $23!!!!!!!)

It says it is shipping monday and should arrive Thursday, but my last Amazon.com purchase arrived before the date it said it would ship!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.