MX Air Mouse

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mcmacmcmac, Oct 12, 2007.

1. mcmacmcmac macrumors member

Anyone know how this mouse performs with macs?? Its specs say only compatible with XP and Vista.

2. decypher macrumors newbie

hey i just bought this the other day and have been using my macbook on a 47" sony bravia and it works great!!

The only thing is that you can't make the nice media software work right away because it's PC only and i rarely boot into windows on my macbook. One solution i was thinking of using was Parallels. It's coherence feature allows you to run windows apps natively in osx. It's outlined here

I'm hoping i can install the program on my windows partition and run the media software in os x but i'm unsure if the mx air media app will be able to access my media on my osx partition. I'll report back once i try it. I read in an article that it will be osx compatible "soon." So logitech could release an update but when is another matter.

Other then that the mouse plugged-and-played with out a hitch. The usb receiver for it is a little stick which is great for space. It's more geared towards if your going to use it for a home media centre on a large screen. I can plug in my laptop under the table and watch all my stored videos and audio and read the news on pressdisplay.com in large format. You can also set it up as a second display and drag articles onto the TV while i write in word on my laptop.

It does take some getting used to as the whole plane of reference is different on a gyro mouse but i've been happy so far and it allows me to keep all my media and information in one comfortable spot, the living room.

3. phuong macrumors 6502a

i think this one has great potential for media station computers.
    i've always wanted to get rid of my xbox, but there's nothing out there that are close to the performance of XBMC yet (replacing one of the controllers with a remote control, and setting XBMC as its dashboard, i use it exclusively for media. it beats xbox360, AppleTV and all other media stations hands down)

when i first saw the MX Air, this thought immediately came to my mind: "now i can plug a computer to my TV, and connect it to my LAN network, and play music/movies while leaning back on my comfortable sofa"
    the computer could be a old computer, or a cheap laptop, or a Apple Mini.
    the OS could be Windows or OSX, doesn't matter
    the media player could be anything, but probably VLC and iTunes.
    the interface is of course not as nice as with XBMC, but is decent enough (just like when watch movies on my laptop)

============

doing a little research, i learnt that the MX Air needs a controling software to be effective. otherwise its media buttons are useless and it can be used at best as a pointer that has left and right clicks.
    i don't know if VLC can integrate it like with the apple remote control, but if it can, it'll be totally beyond cool.