Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Does anyone have this setup that can comment on how it works for them?

I am assuming that the keyboard and mouse will connect to the iMac using bluetooth, and using the dongle for the PC. In my case the PC is work provided and has bluetooth disabled.

I am curious on how the switching between devices works. I have read you have to do each one individually. :(

Any other comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

ibarnett

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
Gold Coast, Australia
Does anyone have this setup that can comment on how it works for them?

I am assuming that the keyboard and mouse will connect to the iMac using bluetooth, and using the dongle for the PC. In my case the PC is work provided and has bluetooth disabled.

I am curious on how the switching between devices works. I have read you have to do each one individually. :(

Any other comments or suggestions will be appreciated.
Yes, I have this setup, Mac mini 2018 & PC.
Have Logitech dongle in each, I use Samsung 49" screen split, mouse moves seamlessly from one to other.
Simple tap to select keyboard.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Yes, I have this setup, Mac mini 2018 & PC.
Have Logitech dongle in each, I use Samsung 49" screen split, mouse moves seamlessly from one to other.
Simple tap to select keyboard.

Thanks for that. I was reading that I needed to install the Options software for the mouse flow to work between computers. Unfortunately I cannot install software on my work laptop, so I am hoping I can swap computers by clicking on the button on the bottom of the mouse.

Also, I plan on using the dongle on the laptop since bluetooth is disabled on the work laptop, but use bluetooth on my iMac. That means I will have to click two buttons, one on the mouse and one on the keyboard to switch. The whole thing is starting to seem like not worth it.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Thanks for that. I was reading that I needed to install the Options software for the mouse flow to work between computers. Unfortunately I cannot install software on my work laptop, so I am hoping I can swap computers by clicking on the button on the bottom of the mouse.

Also, I plan on using the dongle on the laptop since bluetooth is disabled on the work laptop, but use bluetooth on my iMac. That means I will have to click two buttons, one on the mouse and one on the keyboard to switch. The whole thing is starting to seem like not worth it.

You can switch without the Logitech software. I do exactly what you describe: work PC via dongle with no added software and Mac via Bluetooth with software (although I doubt I actually need the software on the Mac for the switching itself). And yes, you switch the keyboard and mouse separately.

Reactions: ZBoater

the_phantom

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2020
Although software or hard-switching the devices should work fine, I went a different route and bought an inexpensive ($20) USB switch box that sits on my desk that my Logitech dongle and headset dongle are plugged into. Just a button press to switch back and forth. Not exactly what you're asking about, but I found it a lot more convenient.

Reactions: ZBoater

Dutchie91

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2020
I have this setup swell with my windows laptop and MBP 16 inch. Both are connected to my monitor. I have the mouse and keyboard connected with bluetooth on both devices and I am very happy with it. Switching between devices does require a click of a button on both the mouse and keyboard though.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I decided to pull the trigger and purchase, but instead of the MX Keys keyboard, I decided to go with the Ergo K860. I am a big fan of ergonomic keyboards, and this one has the same computer switching capabilities as the MX Keys. I am resigned to having to click two buttons, lets see how what works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.