MX mashing perfectly good CSS...

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Isiah, May 17, 2010.

1. Isiah macrumors newbie

Isiah

I have an issue on my G4 mirror door home mac running Dreamweaver MX: it completely makes a hash of properly displaying a site when in layout mode - while in preview mode and when the pages are uploaded they look fine. Pages have perfectly validated CSS and XML.

Typically problems relate to the page layout - divs are scattered about and background images behave very oddly. Strangely, running MX on an even older Mac with OS 9 it actually behaves better which I find amazing.

I know I'm using old software, but was this a problem with MX? I can update but only as far as CS3 due to the G4 I'm using, but I'm trying to close down all options before spending on ebay.

[I'd post screengrabs, but I'm at work at present so can't do so until this evening].

Cheers
    I

2. Isiah thread starter macrumors newbie

Isiah

I've looked into this a bit further, seems to be a possible issue where Library items (which I use) not previewing properly when header tags are incorported into them - I'll strip header info out (CSS link) to see if it helps :rolleyes:

3. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Sorry, I'm not able to help - but I can say I remember having all manner of problems with the preview design view in Dreamweaver from version 4 through MX, to 8 and I've got CS3 at home at the mo. It doesn't seem to handle CSS positioning and other bits and bobs all that well. I now just steer clear of the WYSIWYG editor and use code view if I use it Dreamweaver at all - opting for previewing in the browser when I need to.

Nice site by the way - I used to be a huge marines fan ;)

/Doug

4. Isiah thread starter macrumors newbie

Isiah

Ha a fellow 40K addict :)

Thanks for the input Doug, yep looks like a real hard slog to properly evaluate anything... and for an application that is supposedly top dog in the field too.

New (test) page here

Cheers
    I

5. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Minor correction - I think you meant design view. Preview spawns the browser of your choice. Not pickin' on ya, I always enjoy and prosper from reading your replies and you're very knowledgeable! :D

Design view is WYSIWYG as you noted later in your comments. I can attest that DW's design view sucks. I only use it for major layout and positioning and honestly do most of the HTML by hand. Then I adjust the stylesheet CSS (which actually is somewhat workable in DW MX) to tweak and customize. These days we all strive for complete separation of content and style, so an average quality WYSIWYG mode is just fine when the developer follows the modern standards anyway. My .02.

-jim

6. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

@SrWebDeveloper - Sorry, you are of course correct :) Not used it for some time - scary the details you forget.

Cheers :D Means a lot! :eek:

@Isiah - Maybe try a demo of something like coda with a more integrated preview (not WYSIWYG). This might help speed along your site design/development.

/Doug

7. Isiah thread starter macrumors newbie

Isiah

Many thanks for the Coda suggestion Doug, I'll check it out.

Cheers
    I