MX Revo vs. Kensington ExpertMouse Trackball

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ejack24, Jun 20, 2008.

1. ejack24 macrumors newbie

I've had it with the MightyMouse. It is too small for my hand, and use is starting to become painful. I need a replacement. Aside from general word processing, browsing, e-mail, Photoshop is my primary application. I will pick up a Wacom tablet eventually, but I still want a good mouse or trackball. Any opinions on picking between these two? I've been unable to find either locally.

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well, I can just say that I love my MX Revolution- to the point that I went out and got another one when they went on sale to have as a backup should they become unavailable.

To be fair there is really no comparison to ME- I never felt comfortable with a trackball whatsoever. My old boss loved his and when I had to work on his Mac I finally started bring a mouse with me as I just could not adjust. I can not even imagine trying to do any of my Photoshop stuff with one, but others probably love them!

BTW- Every Best Buy, Circuit City, Staples, Office Depot and more I have ever checked in has had at least the MX- and many have the trackballs too. It would be best to do a hands on comparison to see what YOU like- that is what matters.

3. ejack24 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll keep looking. The local Office Depot had neither.

4. ejack24 thread starter macrumors newbie

It sounds like Kensington has not bothered to update their MouseWorks software to work with Leopard. That is enough for me to rule out their trackball.

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

You know that brings up a point I had forgotten to mention- in either case, do yourself a favor and use USB Overdrive to control your mouse OR trackball. I was not aware of the situation with Kensington's software, but Logitech's Control Center software , though updated for the current version of OSX, is just sad and is reportedly the cause of some software conflicts. To be fair when I was running it, I could see no problems but USB Overdrive is light years ahead and quite well thought of. You can read about it at:
    http://www.usboverdrive.com/USBOverdrive/News.html

So, for what that is worth that could bring the trackball back in if you like the feel of one as USB Overdrive would fully support it in spite of Kensington's failure to update.

6. ejack24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Best Buy didn't have the trackball either, but I found and bought the MX Revo. Thanks for the tip about the software.

7. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

The MX revo is so nice, but HUGE for my hands. Enjoy it OP!

8. waynesun macrumors regular

waynesun

You'll love an MX Revolution. It's crazy comfortable, the binds are very convenient, and the mouse itself is a serious eye candy (with ergonomics to back it up).

My favorite mouse.