MX Revolution again - Impressions - Problems - Feedback

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mmichalak, Mar 29, 2009.

1. mmichalak macrumors newbie

Hello All,

Looking for a good wireless mouse, and having read lots of reviews, I bought the Logitech MX couple of days ago. I was aware of the LCC problems, but most of the issues seemed to be dated back a long time, plus there is a new LCC version that has come out recently... So I bought the mouse....

Pros:
    Good feel, free spin can actually be useful, configurable buttons with lots of option in LCC (when it works!); lots of buttons may seem an overkill in a mouse, but after a while you tend to make good use of them (provided you have a good driver).

Bad (your feedback appreciated):
    (0) minor middle click issue:
    Middle click is used by default to alternate between free spin and clicked scroll. Yes, you can change that to be middle click, but clicking the scroll wheel is hard on this mouse (lots of resistance plus issue (1) below). I set middle click to the "Quick Search" and it worked great...

(1) minor scrolling issue
    Even when not in free spin mode, the resistance when moving the wheel is kind of minimal; although there is a clear difference between the two modes, (free spin and clicked), this is nothing like, for example, my previous EX100 mouse (which is admittedly a cheap mouse, and feels hard to turn the wheel)... I was expecting that clicked mode would be something like the M$ mice, where you can feel the clicks as you scroll but in a smooth way...

The result of this, is that sometimes when you move the scroll wheel and scroll down in a web page, at the end of the scroll, the page may sometimes slightly move up (I think the wheel is too sensitive/loose, so the last clicked scroll does not lock in place and reverts to the opposite direction in the last few scrolls - if that makes any sense!).

(2) worst issue - LCC

LCC, it is good when it works, but apparently does not always work, so it's very very very bad!
    - A couple of times the driver has changed betwen free spin/clicked mode all by itself (David Copperfield style - I was not using the mouse when it happened :eek:).

- I have the global settings and two profiles (Firefox and Opera). I have set the arrow buttons to do different things in each profile (Zoom in/out in the browsers, open Apps/Home folder in global settings). All works fine, for about an hour, then my profile settings for firefox/opera no longer work... I have not done extensive testing to see if it's only the arrow buttons that fail...
    Just to make things worse, I see LOTS of these messages in my logs:
    LCCDaemon[133] AZTheatre posted an unmatched event that wasn't handled by the fallback settings: <AZEvent: keyboard key [0xC (12); 0xE9 (233); 1]>
    LCCDaemon[133] AZTheatre posted a volume event needing special handling: <AZEvent: keyboard key [0xC (12); 0xE9 (233); 1]>

I tried Steermouse, it seems good, however with this latest MX version (bought in UK from dabs, mf code: 931689-0120), it seems that "Quicksearch" button is not recognised. I contacted the author, he asked me to invoke a menu option and send him the results - I think he can fix this (he has done this for another user here!)
    I also just noticed that the Steermouse solution for free spin/clicked scroll does not work for me; I can only do the manual change by clicking the wheel down; auto-changing is a nice feature but I cannot have it in Steermouse...

Overall....
    This is a nice mouse, and if LCC worked correctly, Logitech would have a killer mouse... Unless you are willing to go through some trouble of setting up this mouse, potentially ending up buying Steermouse (currently not working for me!), look for an alternative... Also be aware that if you want a Logitech keyboard,(I was looking at the trackpad-less diNovo), you will probably need the LCC anyway, so that it may end up conflicting with SteerMouse.:confused:

I am seriously thinking of returning this and getting a refund.. (or if the SteerMouse developer fixes the problem, keep this and get another keyboard)...

I am well aware that this works fine for some people, apparently it does not work fine for me.... Any feedback appreciated :)

2. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I don't think that the click on the MX Revolution is very satisfying.
    Also, I can't get used to the left thumb button being where I want to rest my thumb.

When I had it, it would disconnect every time my iPhone received a text message.

3. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Definitely a 'case of different strokes for different folks' because that left thumb wheel is the second best feature of my MX Revolution for me. The first is the free-spin mode on the top wheel. I use the thumb wheel up for Expose and down for Spaces and I find myself constantly trying to invoke it in vain when using other computers with different mice since I've come to rely on it so much.

I purchased Steermouse shortly after I got my MX a year and a half ago and it was well worth the $20. I have also not experienced any of the sensitivity issues of the OP. In particular I cannot make the mouse 'scroll back' when coming to the bottom of a page no matter what mode I am in. It comes to the end and stops. Is it possible you have a bad mouse? I have no problems clicking the scroll wheel either although I almost always run in free-spin mode and don't use that button.

Steermouse lets me program the Quick Search button on my MX just fine, although I leave it at the default Steermouse function for it, which is 'Switch Applications' and rarely use that. I see that this might be a situation related to your newer hardware revision of the MX but I wonder exactly what's changed on the device... At any rate, as you've found out the developer of Steermouse is a first rate guy and he will definitely do his best to figure it out and get it working for you.

The MX Revolution is the best mouse I've ever owned and if it ever dies on me (battery stops charging, etc) I will replace it with a new one.

4. mmichalak thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply... Apparently, that MX mouse is going back for a refund... Although I can live with the rather loose scroll wheel, the Logitech drivers were quite crap...

Now, interestingly my problem with SteerMouse could not be solved... The developer got back to me after I had posted him a screenshot of the function "Analyse Device", saying that this looks like an MX 1100, not the MX Revolution, and that MX 1100 is not supported...

Obviously, I am certain I got the MX Revolution, and either the developer does not know what he is talking about (very unlike), or Logitech changed something in the MX mouse (most likely)...

I have also attached the screenshot just for reference, maybe you can cross check it with yours....

I am now considering the option of buying a Microsoft wireless mouse... Any feedback on this by the forum members is appreciated.....

Attached Files:

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Yes, there is something different as you can see by my screenshot. The product ID is one digit higher for yours. I've heard rumors of a Bluetooth version of the MX Revolution. Was yours USB with the dongle?

I can't imagine what changed. Sorry to hear about your problems and anyway I hope the developer of Steermouse can get it worked out for those who want to use the newer breed of MX Revolution mice with his drivers.

Attached Files:

6. mmichalak thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply.... Yes, I have (had) the usb dongle, wireless version, nothing different I would guess.... Actually at dabs where I bought it from, I specified it is for Mac and when I opened the box, there was only the CD with the MacOS, which I thought was cool....

Anyway, it will be interesting to see whether other people may get the same problems... (hopefully not!)....

Thanks again...

7. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I bought an MX Revolution last week, and LCC has been perfect. The mouse functions flawlessly, and I get none of the issues you describe.

8. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Thread is a few weeks old, but perhaps the OP would be interested in some more response. My MX Rev hasn't been perfect either.

Heh, yeah, I've noticed that too, although it's a minor issue.

This is the most annoying issue with the software. I actually had that happen much more frequently using Steermouse, which made me switch to LCC, but can't escape it.

Not sure what's going on there, Steermouse didn't have a problem seeing any of the buttons on mine.

But I've been looking at getting a new wireless mouse because of a) the frequent scroll wheel issues and b) a tracking problem that only started recently - it will simply stop tracking for a few seconds, randomly. Seems to be happing with increasing frequency along with the scroll wheel issues (most notably when trying to use the middle click... it will often try to switch to "frictionless" scrolling instead of clicking). Battery can be fully charged and I've not added any new electronics that could be interfering with the wireless.

A few other notes:
    - Scroll wheel button is kind of hard to click. This seems to be something hard to get right, because a lot of the mice I've owned/used have had difficult middle clicks. They also seem to be the first thing to wear out.
    - Side button... wheel... thing is easy to accidentally press and sometimes gets stuck.
    - Battery life isn't great, same as the MX1000.
    - Incredibly difficult to seat the mouse in the charge dock and get it to make a connection.
    - I've never quite found a speed/acceleration curve setting that I like in OS X using either Steermouse or LCC, compared to my previous mice (MX1000, MX500). This makes it hard to do precision movements, like working with tools in Photoshop (time to whip out the Wacom!). Windows version of LCC gets it just right, though.

I REALLY liked the mouse at first, and the TONS of buttons can come in handy, but over time it's shown its ugly side. It's very sexy, and without the wheel and tracking issues it would be amazing.

9. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I don't know about the Revolution, but I have a MX 1000 and I love it.

10. mmichalak thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies, it's encouraging to know that other people (apfhex) had the same problems more or less ;)

Overall the mouse would have been absolutely great, if I could get some software to make good use of it.... Nevertheless, I think the price is quite high, so I actually returned it... I got the VX instead, and that seems to function perfectly with Steermouse (I did not want to install LCC again)...

As for middle click, both the VX and the MX are hard to middle click, I simply use the Quicksearch button (and I would have kept the better MX mouse, had I been able to use Steermouse to map that particular key - apparently the Steermouse developer sent me an email saying that the from the data i had sent him, it seems that this identified itself as a different mouse)...

Now, on with some impressions with VX...
    Obviously not as good as the MX, slightly smaller as well, but I got used to that... The buttons on top left side, (the ones you push, pull), are really hard to use, but I do not make much use of them...

Overall quite happy with it, although an appropriate working MX would have been better.

11. Makosuke macrumors 603

I've been using an MX Revolution for over a year now, and I wanted to add a couple of things that I've run into:

Plusses:

1) The free-spin thing at first seemed gimmicky, but after setting it to auto with a very low "free" threshold, I use it so much it's almost shocking. I actually get annoyed when switching to a standard wheel now.

2) The left-right side to side scroll is also incredibly handy; you get 80% of the benefit of a scrollball with the added comfort and smoothness of the wheel, plus the free-spin feature.

The combination of these two features is enticing enough that I'd be reluctant to buy a mouse without them at home now.

3) LCC has gotten DRASTICALLY better in the last few versions, to the point it's actually kind of usable now. They FINALLY fixed the "set tracking speed to ridiculous after every restart" bug a few months ago (that had existed for, what, two years?!), and the per-application settings work now. It also no longer leaves a copy of its auto-update checker running in the dock after every check. Also much lighter weight install after they removed the dependency on external software.

4) Turning the mouse on via the switch underneath wakes it up VERY quickly--it's ready to go in under a second. Night and day vs a Bluetooth mouse I have that is inconsistent, but sometimes takes 20 seconds to wake up and connect.

Minuses:
    1) LCC is still kind of crap. Worst "Feature" so far was that on the last minor #.#.x update it completely wiped out all customizations I'd made, which is more than a little annoying. Did this on two machines, too, so it's not just a glitch.

2) The USB dongle is immense, and I know it's eventually going to get snapped off the side of my MBP (come darn close several times already). I so wish you could get one of their "nano" dongles for it, but no go.

3) As mentioned, the scroll wheel's button is VERY stiff, so I don't end up using it much. There are so many other buttons available it's not that big of a deal, though.

4) I very much like the second tilt wheel where your thumb rests, but it's a little far forward for the size of my hands. On that note, the entire mouse is unusable for my wife, who has very small hands.

5) 2.4GHz wireless interference. (This is the big one) MADDENING. It's completely fine under most circumstances, but when my MBP is saturating the G wireless connection by transferring a large file to or from my server, the mouse skips, misses clicks, and drops out so badly it's literally unusable--I have to switch to the trackpad to even open a file.

I've experimented with different channels on my AEBS which hasn't helped a bit, and this alone is enough to make me want a different mouse (or an N-only 5GHz network, which isn't an option since my MBP doesn't have internal N and I have two G-only game systems anyway). Really, if it weren't for the awesome scroll wheel and good ergonomics, I already probably would have.

If anybody has a way to reduce G interference, I'd love to hear it.

Frankly, if they had a wired version, I'd be all over it.

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I didn't realize this many people were having problems with the MS Revolution. I got mine nearly a year ago when I bought my iMac, I use LCC, and I've never had a problem with it.

One thing that would be nice is the "nano" dongle - but I just plug mine into one of the keyboard ports and it barely sticks out from the side of the keyboard.

13. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I guess I'll have to see one of these nano dongles. I thought the MX Rev's was small! But then, I'm happier with no dongle (like the MX1000 and Razer Mamba) since I don't use 'em portably.

If LCC was as good as its Windows counterpart it'd be near perfect - I think my tracking issues are not a normal problem one would encounter with it. Most of my complaints are just nit-picking, and I've more where those came from (i.e. the "frictionless" scrolling mechanism gives a shifting-weight feeling when moving the mouse around quickly and also makes it pretty heavy). Still one of my favorite mice.

14. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I have the MX Revolution mouse. I always end up going back to Logitch's laser mouse (MX1000). My MX Revolution is not smooth when I tried to scroll down the screen. My MX 1000 (I have 2 of them) is flawless and very smooth.

15. manuel.mx macrumors member

I own the MX Revolution on its bluetooth version (had to buy the whole MX 5500 keyboard+mice combo) and well, I love it. No dongles, it has its charger, so it is really really nice. Only Steermouse makes it work since there is no support from the LCC.

It was pricey to get the set and the steermouse license,but it was the only way to get the same functionality as the glass trackpad + multiclutch.

Anyways, i wanted to add to the thread that it is possible to map the "Search" button on the mouse but you need to use "Controller Mate". I tried it once, but uninstalled it later. I was able to map that button and i always wondered why steermouse coudlnt.. And I just read your thread and well, according to the author it cant be done.

I dont recall having trouble running both of them at the same time, but i think i read somewhere that there could be issues.

Regards

16. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I have both the MX and VX Revolutions. The MX is a slightly superior mouse with some caveats.

LCC is total crap. It stuns me that 3rd party solutions are so much better than what Logitech produces. Steermouse makes LCC a waste of time.

The VX Nano receiver is incredibly small. Barely bigger than the actual USB socket. On the MBP, it doesn't insert all the way to the hilt as the USB socket itself is a little shallower than the plug. No biggie, barely a millimeter. Small enough to just leave in there and forget. I synced my VX Revo with this receiver and don't regret it at all. Just had to jump through a few hoops to get it to work, though. There are multiple hardware revisions so if you order from Logitech, make sure you get the right one.

I'd like to try to see if the VX Nano receiver would work with the MX, but can't test it b/c the MX is on another continent.

As for the 2.4 GHz problem, have you tried changing the channel on the mouse/receiver?

17. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

What's with all the hate for LCC? I've never had a problem with it. What sorts of issues are people having?

18. TheCheapGeek macrumors 6502

I have the vx nano as my desktop mouse, and I couldn't be happier. I switched from the wired mighty mouse and have had zero problems with LCC or the mouse in general. I do miss the horizontal scrolling, and I would love if it was bluetooth, but overall its fantastic. What is the main issue with LCC?

19. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

The problem I have with LCC on my G5 at work is it doesn't even recognize my MX Revolution. Mine is part of the MX5500 keyboard/mouse combo, but since my G5 doesn't have Bluetooth, I have to use the dongle. Every time I open up the LCC software, it says No Logitech Device found. So, I guess I can't honestly say if the software is good or bad, since it won't even see my stuff.

20. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

They've improved it a lot but still have a ways to go. The things that come immediately to mind:
    - Issues with mouse randomly switching from click-scrolling to free-scrolling when you didn't want it to, regardless of the preferences you've set (but this happens with Steermouse too, to be fair, and might be an issue with the firmware of the mouse).
    - While it supports multiple app profiles, when you create a new one everything is set to default, meaning all your careful tracking, acceleration, scrolling, side scrolling, and scrolling acceleration settings have to be redone for the new profile in addition to all 7 buttons.
    - Installs an InputManager called "Scroll Enhancer Loader" or something like that which actually BREAKS scrolling in a number of apps and games. This can be removed to fix that and doesn't seem to have any negative impact on the functioning of the drivers. I can't figure out what the hell it's for! Also InputManager from a mouse driver = no no.
    - If you use the wheel to scroll through a dropdown list or menu, it will only scroll a little bit before stopping. Maybe not that big a deal for most but I like to use the wheel to scroll through long menus and Steermouse has no problem with this. (and before you say anything, this happens with that weird InputManager installed too :))
    - They're slow to support major OS updates and get bad karma for using APE with their previous version. That's a pretty fracking bad way to program drivers.

21. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I guess I need to check to see which version of LCC I'm running, because I haven't experienced any of these problems.

I set mine to always be in free-wheel mode, and it has never, not a single time, switched back. I click the wheel to activate "middle click," and it works flawlessly.

This one I can't vouch for - I don't load different profiles for different apps.

I don't know what this is, but I've never had to fix anything related to scrolling, motion, clicking, or whatever. I'm still running the same settings nearly a year after buying the thing. Again, could it have to do with using multiple profiles?

Hmm...I haven't noticed this one way or another. Could it have to do with how many lines per scroll you have set?

22. Makosuke macrumors 603

Wow, I didn't realize there was a Bluetooth MX Revolution available now. Of course, no Mac support from Logitech and having to buy the silly keyboard with it is kind of a turn-off, but that's definitely going on my list at some point.

Question for those using one: Does it work ok with built-in Bluetooth, and if so how's the lag when you turn it on and off? The current BT mouse I have has a horrible lag (5-20 seconds) acquiring a connection after being turned on. It also throws up the annoying disconnect warning square when I switch it off, but that I assume is OS-level and can live with.

23. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

You probably just don't use the things that it had problems with. For instance it broke scrolling altogether in WoW. I think there was at least one or two other apps that had problems until I delete the InputManager.

Don't think so. It would just scroll for a little ways and then get "stuck", like it only had a certain allotment of scrolling it could do for the menu and would run out.

24. manuel.mx macrumors member

I dont really turn it off at all, i leave it on as the keyboard. however, it can take between 5-20 secs to start working when u turn on the computer. I dont really care about turning it off, as its always sitting on my desktop and i can charge it back, so no need to worry about switching batteries. I charge it like once a week, and just for a while, no full charge.

It does works with the internal module, if you get it, you do need Steermouse to make something useful out of it.

BTW they used to sell refurbished version of the keyboard+mice version for 76 on amazon. The keyboard itself i wouldnt use it, i have the apple bluetooth one which is really nice. But it might make a good gift for a windows user, as it has some nice features for windows vista.

The problem is due because logitech doesnt support the MX5500 set on MAC, just windows, so it wont be detected by LCC on Mac. The only workaround is using Steermouse and you can unleash all the features of the mouse on Mac. I check on regular basis for logitech bringing support for it on Mac, but they just dont and i doubt they will, it just blows...

25. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Well, that would explain it. I have been using Steermouse, since the LCC didn't work. I have just the MX mouse on my Mini at home, so I will try the LCC software there.