mx revolution

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jer446, Nov 6, 2007.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys.. just got a logitech mx revolution mouse with leopard.. I am trying to set the shortcuts, but am having some trouble. When i try and set the keyboard shortcut, if i press a letter on the keyboard that starts with one of the titles, rather then setting that as a keyboard shortcut, it jumps up to the title. (for example, i am trying to set the thumb button as minimize, so i set the modifier, but when i type M, it moves to the multi scroll thing) any way to fix this?

2. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I would recommend getting Steermouse. It's worth every penny, and works with every mouse I've tried.

3. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I totally agree...I had my share of issues with the logitech drivers for mac and ever since I switched to steermouse everything works like a charm.
    there also are other drivers you might want to check out like usb overdrive and control mate (not sure if this was the correct name) but I honestly think that steermouse is the best generic usb driver for mice

4. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

anyone have any ideas using logitech control center?

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I have a logitech MX 518, and I'll third that recommendation for steermouse. I never messed with the logitech software. Buggy and frustrating from what I've heard. Try steermouse free for 30 days - I'd bet you'll be more than happy to pay the fee at the end of it. I was.

6. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

yea......DON'T :D

ie: It sux Bigtime..... causes all kinds of odd cpu-hogging activity and conflicts with some other softwares :p

get da steermouse, it workie SO mucho better ohyeagottawannaneedagetsome!

7. jhkingsr macrumors regular

I use LCC with my MX on the iMac and have no problems. You just have to be sure and go to Logitech's website and download the latest version (v2.3.1?).

8. richkent72 macrumors regular

The Logitech whatsit does work (I think you need to download it as the version currently on the CD doesn't work) but Steermouse is far more flexible.

9. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I guess you are one of the lucky ones...
    the LCC driver for mac seems to be far away from being bug free though according to some user comments on macupdate (http://www.macupdate.com/reviews.php?id=8154)

I'd rather not risk it...
    and by the way that framework by unsanity that caused the "bsod leopard style" is being installed with the LCC driver in the background.
    the opinions about this framework are somewhat contradictory...some consider it great...others again say it's something you should avoid...I'd go with the second one based on the stories about the bsod...
    so if you still are a tiger user something to keep in mind before upgrading to leopard.

10. jhkingsr macrumors regular

I've been on Leopard since 10/27, so I guess I am the lucky one! :)

11. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

12. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

On the MX Revolution with my Imac -

OSX Software has poor tracking with this mouse, and you cannot map many buttons on the mouse.

The Logictech software was GARBAGE on my Imac - that got the boot within 1 hour of being installed.

Steermouse improved tracking and response quite a bit, and allowed me to map all my buttons. Worth every single penny, peso or yen you drop on it. I had Steermouse on Tiger, and successfully moved it to Leopard without any incidents - one of the few programs I can say this for. I think the website I acquired it from was www.plentycom.jp

13. jhkingsr macrumors regular

I'm just trying to figure out why it's worth paying for mouse software. BTW, I used the thumbwheel button to capture these window images.

What buttons can SteerMouse map that LCC cannot?

[​IMG]

What functions can be assigned that LCC cannot?

[​IMG]

Thanks for any feedback!

14. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I have not tried the Logitech software on Leopard - or any new revisions of it.

I never had success mapping the "thumb forward / thumb backward" buttons to Safari or Finder.

The other configurations would not allow me to map dashboard /expose / show finder buttons. It gave me the thumbwheel forward/back motion as one button, and thumbwheel compression the 2nd. And the choices for that button were the "alt+tab" equivalent, and i forget the 2nd. But they very limited choices.

My mouse tracking wasn't worth anything either, its response was worse than my mighty mouse.

They might have fixed that in the newer version, but trust me, I'm cheap, and would not have shelled out for Steermouse if I could have found a way around it at the time.

I definitely see more options in your software than I had. But FWIW here is my mapping:

Left Click: left click
    Right Button: contextual menu (right click)
    Scroll wheel pushed in: F9 all windows
    Thumb Forward Button: cmd + ] page forward
    Thumb Backward Button: cmd + [ page back
    Thumb Wheel Forward: F9 all windows
    Thumb Wheel Back: F12 dashboard
    Thumb Wheel In: F11 show desktop
    Spotlight Button: cmd + opt + space (spotlight)
    Scroll wheel up/down/left/right - as you'd expect.
    Scroll wheel IN and up / down - page up / page down

15. jhkingsr macrumors regular

Looks like LCC has come a long way and can do all the button maps on your list. I personally have no issue with tracking or response but that's very subjective.

My choice for Dashboard/Expose on Thumb Wheel forward in new LCC are below. Might be worth trying out if you ever feel adventurous! :D

[​IMG]

16. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Well, well... I can map up to 22 different mouse buttons!!... Granted, my current mouse does not have 22 buttons... But at least I could buy one that does! You and your puny OEM software... :D

Yeah, before I reinstall my OS, I think I'll give it a whirl for $h!t$ and grins. Just to make a comparison of the version you're running, to my 3rd party app.

What Logitech software version do you have?

17. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hey guys back to my question, i would like to stick to the lcc. It seems to work fine except for my intitial setup. I used to use the lcc for my mx1000 and never had any problems. When i try to type in the keyboard shortcut, lets say f9 for example, rather than typing f9 into the box and assigning the shortcut, it will actually perform the action and show all windows.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You need to go to the Expose pref pane, change the all windows shortcut key from F9 to something else, go back to LCC, set the mouse button to do F9, then go back to Expose and change the shortcut back to F9. It's a pain, but the only way I know to do that with LCC

I use SteerMouse with my MX Revo. LCC blows

19. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

@jhkingsr

if it works then stick with the LCC...I doubt that there are big differences in LCC and Steermouse (function wise)...it would be wasted money if you don't encounter any problems...

steermouse is just the way to go if you do encounter problems with the logitech drivers...if you read the reviews on macupdate or surf these forums you will see that it's apparently random if the Logitech drivers will work or not. In my case they didn't and caused kernel panics all the time so steermouse was the perfect solution.

If you have two different mice (desktop and for travel) then I think Steermouse will be great since you won't have to install two different drivers (depending on the manufacturer of your mice)...and hopefully steermouse will offer to save different profiles for different mice in the future (that would be a great feature for future versions).

20. jhkingsr macrumors regular

v2.3.1