MX/VX Revolution or G7 good enough for Photoshop/Illustrator?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cleanup, Jul 26, 2008.

1. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

So I'm interested in getting an MX or VX Revolution, or a G7, because I'm getting sick of how laggy and tight my MX610 feels. Although its fine for normal computing I work as a designer for deviantART and use Photoshop and especially Illustrator a lot. For those uses I find the MX610 too "sticky" and clunky for my taste. It's too difficult to move the cursor just a few pixels on the screen, and I notice a bit of lag. It's gotten to the point where when I open up PS or Ill I switch to my trusty old wired MX310.

So I was wondering if any of these three mice would be good for me? I would prefer the MX or the G7 because they are larger and I'm not sure how the VX would fit in my hand, but I was leaning towards the VX because it's inexpensive and the G7 because it has 2200 DPI, while the MX and VX support only 800 DPI fixed.

Any advice? Thanks.

2. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

3. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

I have one. With vector work I prefer a mouse.

4. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

I use an MX Revolution and use Photoshop a fair amount.

I think it's perfect, really.

People claim it's a gamer's mouse but that's the joy of it; it has enough buttons to do what you want it to do, and you can program each application to respond differently to each button press (which is very useful).

I recommend it, personally. Plus it's rechargeable so you don't need to spend money on batteries.

5. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Well VX and VX nano are out since they are small. My roommate has one and its crap. I never used the G7 before but the people on amazon like it and I might go pick one up since before this I never heard of it before.

The G7 looks like the mouse for you with its high DPI.

6. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

Does the thumb scroll wheel work with Mac OS X? I'm assuming Logitech Control Center (preference pane) will let me fiddle with it. I don't usually like using LCC though it tends to mess with Mac OS X a bit. What can you have the thumb wheel do? I know it normally flips through windows in Windows... is it like a basic Alt-Tab sort of deal? If so then it should work in
    OS X right?

Thanks for the help!

And yeah the G7 looks quite good but if the MX is good enough I might just go with that. it's just so smexy. :D

7. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Well I been reading that G7 have a high fail rate at newegg.

http://plentycom.jp/en/steermouse/

Steermouse is miles ahead of LCC but cost money to use after the shareware time.

8. Kace macrumors regular

havent tried out the vx or the g7 but i do quite a lotta work in PS and FCS and MX rev is great.
    youre right about LCC, it seems a little buggy. at times after restarting in 10.5, some of the shortcuts dont seem to work untill you launch LCC within Preferences.

thumb wheel can be configured with 3 different shortcuts (push up, pull down and wheel press).

i previously had the MX900 (similar in ergonomics to the G7) and personally i find the MX rev to be a lot better to hold and work with

9. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

Hmm, thanks! I was using USB Overdrive but switched to LCC because USB Overdrive wouldn't recognize my MX610's tilt wheel, but it looks like SteerMouse does, so I'll give that a shot!

I'm thinking that if the MX and VX differ only in physical aspects and number of buttons, and not in actual performance, I'm going to pitch for the VX since it's half the price!

10. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

I have a G7 and love it.

The battery is a cartridge that can be swapped out with a spare in the charger. This makes it nice and lightweight (which I like).

The only problem I ever have with it is when the kitchen microwave is being used - this messes with the wireless frequencies and basically becomes unusable if someone is using the microwave.

Also, the G7 is meant for PC. So, it works fine with a Mac and the buttons can still be programmed in System Preferences, but Logitech Control Center can't be used to provide the level of customization like when used with a PC.

Either way, I love it. Lightweight and swappable battery cartridge are definitely pros for me.

11. jaduffy108 macrumors 6502a

I'm more than "wondering".