My #1 Question about losing the headphone jack...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by darnovo, Jan 7, 2016.

1. darnovo macrumors regular

Will Apple be providing FREE bluetooth headphones with all the phones or just stop including headphones?

2. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

I don't think anyone know Apple will actually lose 3.5mm jack, how could anyone know they will provide free BT headset or not?

Your guess is as good as anyone other than Tim.

3. darnovo thread starter macrumors regular

it's more of a "let's discuss this" than, "do you know this for a fact" kinda thing

4. iDanny26 macrumors regular

iDanny26

They might just include an adapter but no headphones. Who knows until later this year.

5. that be me macrumors 6502

They could make headphones that use the lightning port and include those instead. Probably be a lot cheaper to mass produce than BT headsets for all their devices.

6. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

If this actually happens I think the adapter pretty much has to be in the box. A significant percentage of users already have a set of headphones they prefer and won't be happy if they have to go out and buy the adapter separately. More importantly, the average user won't KNOW they need this adapter until after they unbox the thing, requiring them to make a second purchase and resulting in lots of social media complaints.

It seems like a bizarre choice if it does happen, no matter how it's handled.

7. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

8. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

All of my headphones are BT. I have always left the freebies in the box.

9. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

If there's an adapter and if it's in the box there will have to be replacements available. They charge $29 for the headphones. I'm putting the over/under on the adapter at $19.

10. bcave098 macrumors 6502

bcave098

+1. There's no way they would not include headphones, however I'd say there's no way they would include Bluetooth headphones. I would think they would include Lightning headphones.

11. Vicrooloo macrumors regular

Sick joke but they may just keep including earpods with 3.5mm jacks.

Because I really can't imagine an earpod that ends with a lightning cable.

12. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Original headphone adaptor is 6.35mm from 1878. 3.5mm is developed in very late 1900s. 4 conducts 3.5mm was defined by the Japanese standard JEITA/EIAJ RC-5325A on 1993.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)

Change is the only constant.

13. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

And personally I don't think it's time for another change in an industry standard feature. There is nothing wrong with the 3.5, why do we need to get rid of it? Change for the sake of change?

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Didn't various feature/basic phones support an even smaller 2.5 mm headphone adaptor?

15. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

As I said, change is the only constant, regardless you or I are ready or not, since neither one of us is Tim.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 7, 2016 ---
    2.5mm never pickup by most cellphone since connector is not significant smaller, vs eliminated.

16. chasonstone macrumors regular

chasonstone

My guess IF they lose the 3.5mm jack:

We receive a free pair of EarPods with a lightning connecter instead of a 3.5mm jack. But they also produce a Bluetooth version you can buy separately if you wish.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Interestingly enough, I recall quite a few of the basic/feature phones with that connector over the years before smartphones become widespread, while smartphones mostly used, and still use, 3.5 mm.

18. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Why does Apple want to introduced another audio connection type, which I believe and correct me if I am wrong, they never used 2.5mm in their product before, other than move toward to next century technology, wireless, if they need another audio connection than 3.5mm?

Do you think if we have time machine, and goto 100 years from now, there is still a wire between headphone and audio device on all the kid in the street?

Wireless IS future. Mark my word.

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

We aren't talking about 100 years from now when there might not be a phone even and some implant that does it all. Who knows. I was simply commenting on an observation about a smaller standard being there for some time and actually being used by the mobile ecosystem but then not quite catching on despite being beneficial as far as sizing goes.

20. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

My point is Apple looking for all the oppotunity to be the 1st one make thing better for the future. A futuristic look smartphone not only attract current young generation but also more younger generation to come. There is also a lot of iPhone owner has very little technology sense point of view, but they adore new futuristic look and feel each generation of iPhone make they feel, and it start with Apple's religion on iPhone, thinner each new physical design. They are not going to change. This is also an oppotunity for them to lead cellphone audio of future by remove that wire.

iPhone is design based on what Apple think what iPhone should be, not what we think what iPhone should be. Apple success, because they gave us unexpected, not expected.

21. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

Ehh, I have a feeling there won't be an adapter included. Remember when all the rumors were swirling before the iPhone 5 was unveiled about how an adapter would "absolutely have to be included!" due to the millions of 30 pin accessories?

Apple will be happy to take your $29 for the Lightning to 3.5mm adapter.

I also don't think any headphones will be included anymore. Seems like a relic from the iPod days when the phone was being positioned as the "best iPod ever."

22. thatanonymoususer macrumors regular

thatanonymoususer

I wouldn't mind the removal so much if they included apt-x or some sort of lossless audio support for streaming over Bluetooth.

23. recoil80 macrumors 68000

I'm not sure they'll get rid of the 3.5 jack but if they do they'll provide bluetooth earpods with next iPhone.
    Look at the new Macbook with just 1 port, Apple likes the wireless experience so I'd expect bluetooth and not lighting earpods, although you'll be able to buy lighting headsets by Beats and other brands if you look for better sound quality

24. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

All reports I have seen yes they will prove them

They have always provided earbuds after all

25. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

I personally think if they do remove the jack port, they would supply free BT headphones.

They have been with providing ear pods or whatever you want to call them with iPhone for years. It would be a will crummy move if they removed the jack port and just provided an adapter