My 10.6.8 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MacM4ODA, Aug 18, 2014.

1. MacM4ODA macrumors regular

it seems i can not up grade to Mavrick or any later version. My iMac is running slow, i deleted cache it got faster but not like it was when new, i bought it Feb. 2008

any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

What model exactly ?

/About this Mac/More infos.

3. simsaladimbamba

How much RAM do you have? Still the 1 GB RAM it came with?
    If so, you can take a look at Activity Monitor and check the RAM usage.

Also deleting the cache normally does not speed up a Mac, since it has to be recreated upon use.

If you want to enhance the performance of your Mac, be sure to check these two articles, do not just use applications, that promise to do it for you.

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, to get a knowledgable audience and help making the thread easier to find for people looking for the same information, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

Example: My 2007 iMac is slow - x GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6

PS: I had that same model probably, the 20" iMac with 2.0 GHz and originally 1 GB RAM and upgraded it to 4 GB RAM. You can put up to 6 GB of 200-pin DDR2 SO-DIMM RAM in there, using one 2 GB and one 4 GB module.
    I also put a 60 GB SSD in there.

4. mcnallym macrumors 6502a

Mid 2007 iMac and later support Mavericks, unless you bought a Mac second hand that was earlier then a Mid 2007 model then an iMac bought in Feb 2008 should run OS 10.9.

However it does require 2Gb or RAM or more, so if you only have 1Gb then needs upgrading.