My 11 y/o wants the iPhone 7

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ClutchThese, Sep 8, 2016.

1. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

He currently has an iPhone 6s Plus that he won! He won it on our cruise to Alaska in the kids arcade vending machine... Unreal story.

Anyway, he wants me to sell his phone outright and buy him the new iPhone 7. Do I do this for him? Or is this too young to start this cycle?

2. ARizz44 macrumors 6502

ARizz44

I see it this way, if you have the coin, then make his day.

3. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

He has a brand new phone, I'd say just let him have the 6s for another year.

4. JayIsAwesome, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016

JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

Tbh, I think the only person who can determine if he's too young...is you. Would I do it for my kid (if I had one)? Tbh, no. But that's just me. Personally, I wouldn't get my kid a 650.00 smartphone until he/she was paying their own bill. Pretty much what my mom did to me. My first phone I got, when I was 18 and it was basic Nokia ATT go phone. Didn't get my first smartphone (Moto Droid) until I was 21 and had my own Verizon account under my name and was responsible for the bill. Paid for the phone too

5. gimmmick macrumors member

gimmmick

Ehhh , not here how to tell you how to raise your kid but does he really need an upgraded phone when he owns an iPhone 6s Plus?

I was 11 back in 1995 and I was happy with my gameboy.

6. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

WAY TO YOUNG to condition him on a yearly upgrade cycle.. if you do it now, he will be stuck for life.

He still has more than he should have, don't let him get greedy and expectant! of course he wants the iPhone 7! He can get the iPhone 17 for himself when he is old enough, until then, daddy or mommy needs to teach him patience and the value of things!

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I don't see age as the deciding factor. If you feel he deserves it and you can afford it far be it from anyone here to tell you no.

8. Samantha124 macrumors regular

Samantha124

I probably wouldn't but I don't know they get excited about tech like we do. My daughter is almost 10 she asked for a Facebook account earlier today. I was like um, no.

9. ClutchThese thread starter macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

Lol, I know he doesn't need the upgraded phone... Hell, none of us really do.

I just don't want to make it seem like it's ok to do this each year. I usually keep my phones for two years, so this is my cycle year. He just happened to win a new phone earlier this year and wants to sell it to offset a new one.

My opinion is I sympathize with him. The wife.... That's a whole other story. Just curious what others opinions were.

10. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

If he can make up the difference in cost, maybe. Otherwise, absolutely not; teach him the value of money first.

11. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

Go for it, but make it clear it won't be a yearly thing. The phone won't be worth as much next year.

12. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

If he can come up with the price difference, then I don't see why not. Either he learns that small increments in iPhone updates aren't worth the money, or he realises that things cost money that he doesn't have.

13. Rob198612 macrumors 6502

save his upgrade for next year when apple releases that OLED phone. because if you do it this year. he will for sure want next year.

14. Griffs65 macrumors newbie

15. mjwebb macrumors member

mjwebb

I saved up and bought my first iPhone (the 4 through Verizon) when I was 13. My parents said they would pay the monthly text, data, etc. as long as I paid for the phone. Through this, they decided I was mature and careful enough to own an iPhone, that they also got me an iPhone 5 (2 years later) and after that I got my own job and then paid for the phones myself.

Moral of the story is, I feel it is completely up to you. My parents bought my middle brother an iPhone 5s when he was 13 and he shattered it within months, and they still will not upgrade it for him (he has to come up with the money to pay for the screen replacement).

Personally, I feel it depends on your kid, whether he is careful enough and knows the value of the item he is holding. Just my two cents! :p

16. DanGoh macrumors 6502

DanGoh

Ah Parenting. It's scary AF knowing how small decisions can affect child future and development. Good luck OP.

17. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

NO x 10. It's not about the cost, it's about having the best from age 10.
    I think it warps perspective, etc. He'll have plenty of other influences that will do that. Let not mom and dad be one of them :> No buddy parenting, my dad is my best friend type of thing for me. He needs a dad first.