My 13" Macbook Pro's battery lasted 3 1/2 hours.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by helloimD4NNY, Aug 17, 2009.

1. helloimD4NNY macrumors regular

So I read on Apple.com that "Every new MacBook Pro features an advanced built-in battery that lasts up to 7 hours (8 hours on the 17-inch MacBook Pro) on a single charge." yet mine lasted 3 hours and 30 something minutes. I was on iChat, Tweetie(twitter client), iTunes was open but not in use, and on omgpop.com playing small flash games. Keyboard backlight COMPLETELY turned down but the screen brightness all the way up.

Is there something im supposed to do to make my macbook last that long? Any battery saving tips? Does anybody's Macbook Pro battery last 7 hours?

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Flash is a huge battery drainer, there's nothing you can about it.

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Seconded. It's the flash games that decreased your battery life for that session.

4. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

I get around 8 hours average with a few windows in Safari, Adium, and iTunes. I have it at half brightness on both keyboard and screen. No flash.

5. helloimD4NNY thread starter macrumors regular

You have the 17" MBP?

6. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

That 7 hours is for mild wireless connectivity and super-lite web browsing, mainly using text documents, using an SSD, and with power settings at maximum power saving.
    Nothing like "real" situations where people use wireless up the wazoo and watch videos and and use lots of flash on the web.

EDIT:Apple's own words:

7. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Thats why.

Calibrate your battery.
    Turn down your screen brightness (I believe Apple's test were done at 1/2 brightness)
    Don't use flash too much

I have a 13" and can get over 7 hours.

8. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

13" 2.26GHz. 4GB RAM. Stock 160GB HDD

9. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

i just got my macbook yesterday... charged it full then tried to see how long it would last... got around 4 1/2-5 installing programs, itunes, watching movies, converting vids, chat, etc.

10. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

Wow, kudos to the guy who thinks that the advertised battery life includes full screen brightness into the equation. We need dreamers like you out there.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

full screen brightness??:rolleyes:

That thing gets too bright if anything.

12. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I remember I only got 1.5 hours on my 17" uMBP playing games in Vista... Funny how I get 2 hours on my MBA vs the MBP lol

13. vant macrumors 65816

omgpop is hardly a 'small flash game'. My MBP consistently starts heating up when I go on omgpop. It is equivalent to playing WC3 or WOW.

It's actually one of the most intensive ones out there. 'Small flash game' would apply to Yahoo ones or something.

14. thesmoth macrumors 6502

When I'm fully charged, half screen brightness, wireless, no bluetooth, web browsing/word processing, no keyboard backlight, the estimation thingy says I have around 5-6 hours. When I first got it, it used to estimate 7, then I calibrated and now it says around 5-6.

I've never actually sat down and used it non stop for 4-7 hours to see exactly how much life I get, but the days that i've used it without a battery I would say that 4-6 hours is average for the settings I listed above.

15. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

i got my screen full brightness and i get 5 hours of battery life , compared to pc its amazing ;)

16. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

i call this thread a success for showing me omgpop.com

tyvm

PS: i get around 7 hours of music, internet (rarely use flash), maybe some parallels (at most 30 minutes), and chat.

17. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

I must say, I had the 13" MBP and the battery was very bad on it lasted maybe 4 hours just bought a 15" MBP and the battery is fantastic and have no clue why.