My 13" MBP fell ...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by igmolinav, May 29, 2012.

1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Hi,

I have a 13" MBP. My sister forgot to use the inside fastener of my crumpler sleeve. Because of this, when i unzipped the sleeve, it slid out and fell onto a carpeted floor! The computer dropped a maximum of one yard, about one meter. The computer is working now, but I have fears something may have been damaged or that the drop could lead to a failure! In the past, I had an ibook G4. I always carried it in a backpack without any cushioning. I always treated it super gently when I had to lay it on the ground. However, one day the hard drive failed. The failure was attributed to the countless of times that I laid the backpack on the ground. Apparently, those little and soft "hits" to the computer, damaged it. Had I foreseen any failure I could have saved the hard drive of my ibook G4.

Any advice is in advance very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

3. Alienworkshoper macrumors member

It's like dropping a baby. It'll seem fine but get demented as time progresses.

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Wow... really?!

OP, don't worry about it. It sounds like it was in sleep mode when it fell, so the heads were parked. No big deal, though don't make a habit of it. I broke my ODD once dropping my MB onto a hardwood floor, but it was immediately apparent (the drive started making weird noises) and the HDD was unaffected.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, no its not.

Its just a laptop, a tool, albeit an expensive one. That is its replaceable, a baby is not.

OP: If the laptop is working, then just consider it battle scars and not worry about it

6. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

7. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Replacing a human life is not possible. Replacing a computer is.

OP, as others have said, you should be fine. If it's working now then I doubt you damaged anything.

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i heard mbp espessially 13" mbp take 72 hours to show effects of drops...ok im BSing but you should always backup your hard drive not just for failures do to multiple drops and dings but because they also fail with no reason

9. jxr182 macrumors newbie

Drop everyday

I literally have dropped my macbook pro dozens of times. I have never had this issue with any laptop before my 2011 mbp, but ... well ... it happens... I can not believe how durable this thing is...