Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canes960

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Alabama
Hey guys. I finally bit the bullet and said screw Windows, Screw Dell, Screw Microsoft, I want a Apple. So I ordered a 13" MBP and I couldn't be more excited. I am expecting it Wednesday. Do you guys have any tips on getting ready for the arrival? I am very pumped. Any suggestions on accessories? Software? Tips to make the iTunes transfer progress go faster? Thank you guys so much!

Amerabian

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2011
Congrats!!

Be prepared to be blown away! It's a fascinating machine!

I have some advice for you:
- Get some sort of cover (something that protects the body).
I have this and I like it! https://www.amazon.com/Speck-Products-Shell-13-Inch-MacBook/dp/B003P6IFMG
- Get a transparent keyboard cover (VERY IMPORTANT!!) It'll protect the inside of your MBP from dust, cigarette ashes, AND LIQUIDS!
I have this AND IT SAVED ME $1200 FOR MY MBP! Someone spilled coffee on it at work.. https://www.amazon.com/Moshi-ClearGuard-keyboard-protecter-2012-2015/dp/B001QKI2DA
- Try your best to use the power cord whenever you can, keep the battery health up as much as you can ;)

Finally,
- The MBP is a very powerful and very delicate machine, pamper it with love and passion.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
- Get some sort of cover (something that protects the body).

1309586391577.jpg

randomrazr

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2011
my number thing i always say to get is some sort of sleeve.

i recoemnd the incase neoprene sleve plus. simple sleeve, has a faux fur interior that u can trust to keep ur macbook safe and secure.

hardshell cases are an option but not necessary. get the sleeve first, ifu think u need a actual case, it will fit with a case.

like the other post mentioned, a keyboard cover is nice, but not entirely necessary. i use the moshi cleargaurd keyboard cover, best one out there FOR SURE

other than that, u dont need much else.

software wise, i like microsot office 2011 over iworks.

the magic mouse is an option if ur use to mouses like i am

good luck

thinkinblue613

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2010
Planet Earth
Excellent choice, I have the 13 inch i5. Which model did you get?

A lot of great suggestions here and I agree with what has been said.

Here's a little list of my opinion:

Essentials:
- Hardshell case
- Sleeve
- Keyboard cover (I found mine online for one cent.)
- Lap Pad (Stashed near bedroom/living room)

Extras:

I recommend doing your research wisely when purchasing these upgrades.

- 8GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 RAM
- External Monitor with a VGA or HDMI cable
- SSD Hard Drive
- 500-700GB Hard Drive
- External Hard Drive (stationary or portable)
- Extra power adaptors with extended wires
- Wireless Keyboard
- Wireless Mouse/Trackpad
- Anti-Glare (AG) Screen Protector
- Palm/Trackpad guard

Software:
- iWork
- Evernote
- RSS Feeder (I got Reeder)

I would have added Aperture, Adobe, Final Cut and Logic on the list. However, you've probably already made that decision before purchasing the MBP.

Last edited:

Dominus Mortem

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
Put on a Marvin Gay record, light a mood candle and do some push-ups so you look buff and slightly sweaty. When it comes through the door tell it how beautiful it looks and there's never been anyone else and never will be anyone else but her. It's a her right? Ok, just checking. You're going to need a cover, Trojan makes some good ones, just be careful at first and don't touch her too hard. She might get a little hot after you've been using her for a while but she'll cool down by morning. When you're done it's ok to cuddle. The next day you should go buy her something nice like a Coach cover.

Jrv

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
Long Beach, California
Put on a Marvin Gay record, light a mood candle and do some push-ups so you look buff and slightly sweaty. When it comes through the door tell it how beautiful it looks and there's never been anyone else and never will be anyone else but her. It's a her right? Ok, just checking. You're going to need a cover, Trojan makes some good ones, just be careful at first and don't touch her too hard. She might get a little hot after you've been using her for a while but she'll cool down by morning. When you're done it's ok to cuddle. The next day you should go buy her something nice like a Coach cover.

And don't worry: If she turns out not to be who you thought she was, you can always take her back to the store and get a new one.

nostylez

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2011
An Incase sleeve would be a good start.

This

I highly recommend incase sleeve. It's very high quality and does not scratch the case like some sleeves do with the zippers.

I don't think a hardshell is essential it's up to you.

But first thing would be a sleeve.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.