My 13" MBP makes a slight sound once in a while.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doxavita, Aug 20, 2010.

1. doxavita macrumors 6502a

Today I just noticed that my MBP makes a very slight sound once in a while. I'm thinking it's just the hard drive working slightly harder. Is this normal?

2. celticpride678

3. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, a very slight tick, sometimes it even goes away, I would have to have my ear close to the right side of the MBP to really notice it.

4. celticpride678

It's probably the sudden motion sensor locking the hard drive into place. Perfectly normal.

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Ah yes. My 13" MacBook Pro does that too. Not to worry about though, it is just the hard drive head parking when you move the computer around. This prevents the hard drive from being damaged by movement :D Whenever I jerk my MBP up it makes that sound.

6. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

So can I keep using my MBP the way it is now, or is it recommendable to change surface?

7. David G. macrumors 65816

What sort of support do you use now? Your lap, a wood/glass/metal desk, a :p rickety bridge over a boiling lake of lava?

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Definitely the latter!

9. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

10. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yes, the MBP will be fine. Its designed to get bumped around. Although try to aviod hard impacts when its turned on and the HDD is spinning (like don't drop it). the only time though that you should try not to jerk it at all is if theres a disk spinning in the drive. If you jerk it then you may damage the disk or the drive.

Other than that, if you don't have a spinning disk in there, feel free to jerk it and move it around while its on!

11. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

That slight tick is kind of annoying though. Guess I'll have to get used to it.

12. ccashman92 macrumors regular

It may also be this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJmpervXe9M

Just take the bottom casing off and remove the black piece will two little silver pokey things. haha I don't know how else to describe it. It scratches against the bottom casing when there is pressure on the bottom. I don't understand why its there but taking it out does nothing.

13. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, my MBP is new, so it's more likely to be the motion sensor I think. (Although the sound is indeed similar to the one you posted, in that video it's a 2009 15"MBP, mine is a 13" 2010 MBP and I still perceive that sound even though my MBP isn't being moved, should I be concerned?)

14. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

I`d put money on ccashman92 being right.

My 2 month old MBP 15" does this as well.
    My plan is to live with it until the warranty expires and then whip out that plastic piece.
    The noise is a bit annoying in a quiet area but I`ve just accepted it (for now) as part of it`s "character".

15. unwinded macrumors regular

Is the noise like a very faint "ring" sound coming from near the magsafe port? Because mine is doing that from time to time. I know the CPU and GPU are in that area. Definitely not a HD noise for me