My 15" rMBP feeels like a Rolex comapared to_

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rm2092, Jan 20, 2013.

1. rm2092 macrumors 6502

rm2092

I have had my 15" Retina MBP for a few months now and I love it, everything from the form factor to the screen. Anyways I have a 2012 5.0 Mustang and I decided to ad a tuner to my car but the problem is the software is not Mac compatible to upload any new tunes. I did not want to add Windows to my Mac so I found a Toshiba display model on sale for $234.00 witch I figured would be cheaper then adding Windows to my Mac. First I'll say Windows 8 SUCKS also after playing with my new laptop, adding bookmarks setting up a few things so I can use it a as backup if I need to but the whole point of this thread is my new Toshiba feels like one of those old Casio plastic watches and my rMBP feels and looks like a Rolex. I never thought not having back lit keys would be such a big deal but it is also I said I would never buy a Windows Pc but in this case I have no choice. Anyways just my thoughts, I know there are Pc laptops that do cost allot more that are trying to look like Mac's.

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

Uh what? How does a toshiba laptop have to do anything with a rolex in the title? Forgive me but your post left me confounded.

3. LS3 Machine macrumors member

Retina

Its just terrible that a $250 laptop isn't as nice as a $3000 laptop, isn't it?

4. Handsome Bacon macrumors regular

Handsome Bacon

A Rolex? You need to upgrade your taste in watches.

5. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

This!!!!

R

----------

And This!!!!

R

6. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

Dang, my 2005 Mini Cooper S is compatible with Mac software, now it just feels like a Rolex compared to your 2012 5.0 Mustang.

Sorry about your snoozefest of a car :/

7. Radiating macrumors 65816

As a general rule laptop manufactures besides apple sell bottom of the barrel junk. Their profit margins are around $50 on a $400 laptop so competition is extremely fierce to make the cheapest possible product with everything wrong with it because consumers only look at specs.

Even manufactures that claim to be premium are actually just selling complete junk. I've owned several $2000-$4000 laptops and they have been cheap garbage and all broke from usually from multiple cost cutting issue in at least a dozen ways (meaning each laptop had a least a dozen critical failures), though I do use my laptops hard. I haven't had a single problem with a MacBook by comparison.

Anyways there's no reason to fear installing windows on a MacBook, they run extremely well with it. I'm a full time windows 7 user on my macbook.

I will agree, as a very serious windows user, that windows is a terrible OS, but that's because they have to cater to so many variations and a lot of fundamentals are flawed but carried over, they can't just redesign the whole thing and say "screw it" to all the older software like Apple can with a much greater ability to redesign everything. On top of that everything is visually designed by committee which ends up looking terrible, and like toys r' us toys. The graphics are cringe worthy and everything is far too bloated.

8. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

:eek: Outrageous!

9. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

What was he thinking. :D

10. LS3 Machine macrumors member

Have you tried any Thinkpad business class laptops? They sell from about 850 for the T430s, up to 3200 for a maxed out W530. I have had them for years, and they are equal in quality to macbooks. In fact, their keyboards are better than macbooks (but the macbooks have better trackpads). I own a T420, W530, and a maxed out cMBP, and they are all awesome machines. My thinkpads have win 7, which is very good software. The cMBP is a little pretier, but not as sturdy and durable as my thinkpads. It really comes down to the old saying, you get what you pay for.

Tim

Various expensive toys.

11. Radiating macrumors 65816

I have tried thinkpads. I got the impression that they were sturdier than the bottom of the barrel junk, but they were still victims of cost cutting and poor build quality.

Issue that I had with my $2000 Think Pad.

Logo Peeled Off

Plastic on case broke causing charging to not function

Plastic on top case was loose causing wifi antena to become damaged

Finish on side of keyboard faded with continuous use.

Battery did not fit correctly

When the peripheral and expresscard slots were empty the case would bend into the slots and eventually broke in this area.

Display bezel warped due to heat from the unit, causing it to discolor the screen due to pressure on the screen and needed replacing.

Power button came loose and broke.

The extremely large low quality gaps in all sections collected hair and dust and caused the mouse to feel clicky and not return properly.

Display hinges were not installed properly causing them to seize.

The think pad is a step up from most laptops which are build like children's toys, but the think pad I would say is built about as well as entry level consumer home improvement tool from home depot. Essentially a durable toy, but still built like a toy. The sorts of tools that you never see the pros using. You know.

12. LS3 Machine, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013

LS3 Machine macrumors member

Wow, What model? Im sorry you
    had issues. I've had like 5 think pads and they all have been super sturdy, long lasting, and high quality. I've had T and W series. When I'm in the business class lounge, I see mostly think pads and MBP. I think these people qualify as pros. Both of my think pads seem sturdier than my MBP, but it seems sturdy as well. The MBP is definitely prettier, but for business, the Thinkpad beats it in many ways.

13. nickftw8686 macrumors regular

My work laptop is a t420 and I think its a POS, durable but POS lol.

14. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Interesting. We use T & W series ThinkPads @ work as well---NONE of them have NEAR the build quality of our MacBook Pros. Decent 'guts' and ability to customize---but when you do so to the extent of optional MBP upgrades as well, price becomes a non-issue. I've moved from the company's provided ThinkPad T530 to running Win 7 on my MBPs. I feel as though Macs run Windows as well (or better) than most Windows laptops. I've yet to find the same build quality/track pad quality in a Windows machine that closely compares to that of the MacBook Pros.

That's amazing you feel the 'plastic' ThinkPad compares with the sturdy, uni body construction of Apple's professional line. I do the ordering for our company...and the three 'latest' T530s we recently purchased (Granted, with the i7 and 180GB SSDs/16GB RAM---we solely do video and 3d animation), each 15" Win7 Pro machine was right @ $2100. For another C Note (or less $150-200 if you have a business acct)---you can pick up a 15" rMBP with a 256GB SSD! For another C Note---essentially the exact same price (again, get a business acct @ Apple---it's FREE!!!), you can add via B/C Windows 7/8 (for the enterprise at this time, we aren't interested in '8'). We do have several folks in the office that won't use a Mac and are absolutely 100% Windows 'fans'. I switched 7 years ago and won't go back:)

J

15. LS3 Machine macrumors member

Thinkpad

The T420 costs half the price of a MBP. The emphasis should be on durable. The main reasons that Thinkpads do so well in business is that they have an existing, sturdy platform, with an industry leading keyboard, and they support the legacy items like VGA port (for hooking up to older projectors), while still supporting newer tech, like HDMI and USB 3 (T430, W series). Thinkpads can be fitted with internal Cellular modems, if needed, and have ridiculously good battery life, including snap in/out EXTERNALLY connected batteries, and feature an always on USB port on the back side for charging devices. The DVD drive bay is modular, and can be replaced with either a battery, or another hard drive (snap in/out as well). Windows 7 PRO is very well developed, and bug free (Never locks up on me, and the interface is very good). I was even able to configure my W530 with a 2 GB Invidia graphics card, and 32GB of ram (I added a 1TB HD to the multi-drive bay). I have both the MBP and the thinkpads, and I think they each have their purpose, and their target audience. Im using my thinkpads for business, and my MBP for entertainment.

Tim
    Various Expensive Toys

16. krravi macrumors 65816

I had a SONY Vaio before and it cost me around $2300 that time and it still rocks. Its one of the best LCD screens I have ever seen in a laptop. Sony called them "Trubrite Display". Not sure if the same display is being used now. Build quality was top notch. Mixture of magnesium alloy and high grade plastic that was solid as a brick. Don't remember the model but it was one of those high end ones.

Apple build quality is there but the components are often outsourced to the cheapest supplier. If you go by the IR and other issues, I am sorry to say Apple does not use the best display manufacturers. People who get Samsung think they are lucky only because their comparison is to LG or AU Optronics or whatever.

17. LS3 Machine macrumors member

Sony

I had a VAIO before my thinkpads, and I agree, they make some high quality stuff.