My 15" rMBP is finally perfect

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TofSanity, Jun 19, 2013.

1. TofSanity, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2013

TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

I bought my first 15" rMBP back in Nov '13. That rMBP had a Samsung screen and seemed to heat up pretty fast. It was a base model. I decided to exchange while I still could for one with 16GB of RAM. When I did this I went for a CPU upgrade as well, 2.6 GHz. This new one had Samsung flash storage, no noise, never got hot, but did have a LG LCD. Of course over time the IR/ghosting occurred. Finally got to the point where Apple replaced the LCD. Now I have a Samsung LCD. This machine is a work of art. It's perfect for all my uses. I read all over MacRumors of people bashing it or saying it's a gimmick. In reality it's so much more than any laptop I have used or owned. Yes, it took replacing the LG screen but it truly is amazing...

2. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

I'm worried. I get my 15" rMBP refurb this friday.

Are ALL LG screens bad..?

3. TofSanity thread starter macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

I can't really say. Mine was a first GEN LG. I have read second GEN LGs are better. Refurbs are pretty awesome so if there was some ghosting on the screen they may have replaced it during the refurb process. I wouldn't worry too much. Just use the rMBP and have tons of fun. You can always take it in to have the screen replaced if it gets bad, that's assuming you have a LG. It took months before I saw anything even with the tests you can find within these threads.

4. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

What exactly is ghosting?

and 'may'? I think it should definitely be fixed!! T__T

5. TofSanity thread starter macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

Ghosting/IR is where something you have been looking at stays on the screen faintly. If you've ever seen an older Plasma screen TV you will have seen the logo or scrolling ticker when viewing another channel. Over time I found it becoming worse. I lived with it until I start photo editing and would see the previous pictures outline in the new picture. So, that's spending some time on one window for maybe 20 mins. There is no way of knowing if you will have this issue. When you get yours let me know and we can check a few things unless you already know how.

6. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

Im glad everything is finally fixed for you and you are enjoying the greatness of this machine as it was intended.

7. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

search for retina macbook ghosting in youtube.

LG SJA1 screens have this issue,
    SJA2 screens are updated ... so far no reports about the issue

you don't have to worry about it, if it gets to the point the ghosting makes the screen unusable they will replace the panel for free.

i'd bet that refurbs have lower chance getting a SJA1 screen, most people return it due to the ghosting issue and they should have the panels replaced with a (hopefully) SJA2 or Samsung.

8. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

Do ALL SJA1 have this issue?

How do I check this when I first get my MacBook?

9. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

SJA1 is the one thats reported with issues, but as most people said
    only those with SJA1 panel issues went to forums seeking for answer.
    so we still don't know how many % of SJA1 panel owners have this problem.

theres a script for that, you can google it out.

10. TofSanity thread starter macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

open terminal and run the following:

ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

You will get something that looks like this:

LSNxxxxxxxx
    DLMxxxxxxxx

LSN = Samsung
    LP = LG

you want it to be LSN. If you have an LP then the string should like this:

LPxxxxx-SJA1 which is a first gen
    LPxxxxx-SJA2 is a second gen

let us know what you get

11. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

The better course of action would be to deal with any problems as they arise. If it has image retention you'll certainly know within the year of warranty. And there are other advantages to the LG displays- for every report of worse IR there's one of better color saturation, viewing angles, less susceptibility to mura and backlight bleed, etc.

I have a Samsung and I'm perfectly happy with it. I prefer to think of the upshot before the downside.

12. TofSanity thread starter macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

I completely agree with Asuriyan. Enjoy your rMBP and don't fret over the screen. I enjoyed mine up to the moment the IR/ghosting became an issue while actually working and not surfing or what not. You can always take back to your local Apple store down the road if you in fact start to have the issue...

----------

i loved it before but now it's just that much better!

13. red321red321 macrumors regular

pretty soon when the new Haswell Macbook Pros come out with incredible performance and battery life, your computer will feel woefully out of date

14. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

Do all LG models have ghosting ? Are 2nd gen LG models better?

15. Maaz macrumors 6502a

Ive been trying this and nothing happens when i input this into terminal?

16. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

13"?

17. Maaz macrumors 6502a

18. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

nope, doesn't work on 13".

19. Maaz macrumors 6502a

oh okay thank you

20. Sym0 macrumors 6502

Sym0

Haha, your funny, not sure where your getting this performance update from. The haswell chips are about the same performance, just more power efficient.

Maybe 5% increase clock for clock, nothing anyone will ever notice.

21. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

Obviously you know NOTHING about Haswell!

22. TofSanity thread starter macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

I wouldn't say all have the problem. I could never make such a statement. 2nd Gens are supposed to be better, but you will read on different threads that it is starting to pop up on some. Relax, you have one more day til it arrives then enjoy it.

Plus, you are getting a refurb. Apple's quality control is actually better on refurbs, so if there was ghosting, bad, they would have replaced the screen then.

23. TofSanity thread starter macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

Did you receive it yet?

24. seanguk macrumors newbie

I have an LG screen and it has IR problems. It's a work machine, so I didn't pay out of my own pocket.

Normally I have it hooked up to 2 external monitors when I'm working, but use it often on the laptop screen.

IR problems aside, this is the best laptop I've ever used by a long shot. It's a shame that a laptop touted for it's display has such a major defect. I notice it occasionally, but as a developer it's only unfortunate rather than drastic.

If I'd have bought this myself I'd be very annoyed to have an inferior machine, as it stands I'm incredibly happy to have a laptop that stands up to everything I throw at it.

It's an almost perfect machine.

25. TofSanity thread starter macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

I felt the same until I had the screen replaced. Now it's perfect in my opinion. No other problems. Fans are so quiet that I almost get worried lol