My 15" rMBP screen is dead.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FatGuy007, Jul 15, 2013.

1. FatGuy007, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013

FatGuy007 macrumors 6502

I woke up today, pressing the power button, once upon log in, I went to Chrome and checked the daily news, then the screen started flickering crazily, it wasnt really flickering, it was this gray,red,blue lines switching places that was covering the whole screen, I freaked out and my heart almost feels dead. After about 1 hour i tried again, and reset the SMC and PRAM, voila, 1 minute on the desktop and no flickering! Then I decided to use SMC fan control to see if it can fan out any problems in there, and then something weird happened... Still on the desktop at 2nd minute, my screen just fades to grey, it seemed like the color of the boot screen, I freaked out again, but decided to leave it thinking my laptop could work it out, it kept fading out to my desktop, then fading back to grey, then fading into inverted colors of desktop, now I was really scared, so I went to turn off my Macbook. But just before I lay my finger on the power button, it fades to black, nothing else. I turned it off, then turned it on again, I heard the speakers do the "dooouuunnnnnnn" boot-up sound, but no screen. I am writing this 5 minutes after. My luxury 2600$ item is now partly dead, now. If anyone can help, that'll be great. I also don't know if this is important or not, but I was cleaning the Mac with napkins with water on them last night right before I went to sleep (so I didn't turn it on). There is currently no apple stores anywhere near me, I'm on a overseas vacation.

EDIT: Tried to reset PRAM and SMC again, I could see light! but it was still flickering extremely fast and was fading again (on the boot screen), too

2. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Sorry for that. If your rMBP is under warranty and if you are lucky, Apple might exchange it with an early 2013 one...

No Apple store in Fiji islands?... :D

3. FatGuy007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Warranty expires early August, don't know if I should just leave it off for a few days and see if it works again or just rush to the Apple store as soon as I get back. Is there a switch on the Macs when they detect water it switches on (to see if there was water damage) like on the iPhones, I'm afraid it switched on 'cause I used water to clean it? Currently in Spain, surprised Malaga has no Apple stores :cool:.

4. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Of course there is an Apple store in Marbella (Málaga). All famous, rich, and mafia people live in Marbella :D. Here is the address:

Marbella, La Cañada
    Parque Comercial La Cañada
    Autovía del Mediterráneo s/n Salida Ojén
    29600 - Marbella (Málaga)
    952 76 08 00

List of Apple stores in Spain

5. FatGuy007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Is it just like the video game? anyway, thanks :)

6. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Fatguy007 is a rich mafia boss is vacationing there in Marbella?? In that case, he can afford to buy another rMBP anyway. :apple:

7. jread macrumors regular

This sounds a lot like what my 13" did when I first got it. It had been sitting in the FedEx truck on a 106-degree day, and was blazing hot when I took it out if the box. Screen worked at first, then started doing what you described, then eventually went black. Do you have an external display anywhere around you that you can hook it up to? When I did this, I had a perfect image, so that let me know it was the display. Apple store replaced the display under warranty and all is well. Did your machine happen to sit in a hot place for any period of time?

8. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

LOL.

I think it is worth to take it there. Who knows, you might be lucky and get it replaced with a new one. Remember, Marbella is a prosperous city... :). If you can't repair it there, you'll have at least a proof that you have reported the issue before the warranty expired...

9. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

Well get it in to the store show them the issue and let them solve it :D
    Seems to be a fault with your logic board since you said it just went of. Otherwise could be connection.
    Do get protection plan would be a lifesaver if anything happens out of the warranty.

10. FatGuy007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, it's inside with AC all day everyday.

11. FatGuy007 thread starter macrumors 6502

So after waiting a day, it's currently working again. Should I still take it to the Apple store?

12. newdeal macrumors 68020

Depends, a new display is around $700 so are you willing to pay $700 if you display craps out again after the warranty is up? If not then you should take it in so that at least they have it documented that you had issues even if they can't replicate it and that way they may take pity on you if you have issues again after the warranty is up

13. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

I'd definitely take it in. There's no reason not to.

14. FatGuy007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Won't the "genius" think I'm just bullcrapping since their is no way to show if it happened or not?

15. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

It wouldnt hurt to take it in anyway right? They might catch something on their diagnostics. you never know

16. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I suggest you get Applecare for it before August, since if that happens after then (and it do not come back to live again as recently) you are looking at an expensive (+$500) repair. You may get Applecare for $250 from B&H and other online dealers, so there is no need to pay the full $350 to Apple.

17. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Not sure where you based (your user says NY but you're currently in Spain), but depending on where you are your consumer rights are probably different.

In the EU, you're given a minimum of 2-years "warranty". There's also probably something in local laws saying that the product has to be 'fit for purpose', and therefore last more than 2 years.

The complicated part is if you bought it from the US, as I can't honestly say if those laws would cover you if you took the laptop over there. My instinct would say no.

Anyway, hope you get it fixed / it carries on working.