Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
It's sweet! My last iPod was a Photo, and I'm amazed at how many changes there are. Lots of little things. The menu is great, and it doesn't seem laggy at all. I'm pretty pleased!

Jan 30, 2006
As far as I know you can be lying. Photos or it didn't happened.:p:D

But please tell me, why classic and not touch? For storage capacity? I am currently trying to decide which one to get, I know I want the touch, but I know it won't have space for all my music and pics and videos.

And I also know that maybe after a month the touch would loose it's magic and I would only use it for music, so I would be better with a classis. Why does it has to be so complicated?:(

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Im not sure jumping on wifi quickly would ever loose its novelty. I agree, though. I kind of wish Apple had made an HDD ipod touch, at least for the first generation. It would have been a killer product, but a lot of additional engineering cost for a product that would eventually get phased out by flash in less than a year.

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
As you requested!

classic1.jpg

classic2.jpg

classic3.jpg

classic4.jpg

...and to answer your question, yes, I went with the Classic because of capacity. What I really wanted is the same thing a lot of people on this board wanted...the Touch with a high-capacity hard drive. Guess we'll all just have to wait it out.

rbroady

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
damn that looks nice, im starting to lean towards a 160 giger instead of the touch, how about a side shot!

bc008

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
looks great..

now im wondering if i should get silver or black also ;)
i think im going to go with black to compliment my iphone and that black imac border.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
question:
is the front entirely curved? flat curved on edges? optical illusion? and what does the front feel like (ie slab o glass, plastic, anodized aluminum)?

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
question:
is the front entirely curved? flat curved on edges? optical illusion? and what does the front feel like (ie slab o glass, plastic, anodized aluminum)?

On the front, where the black metal meets the mirrored part, it does curve a little bit...but not like the back corners do. It's not as 'flat' as the last revision.

The front does feel anodized.

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
It looks way better than my black 5g but i haven't filled it up yet so i hope to get a touch soon. I'll upgrade once 30GBs becomes to small for me.

Jan 30, 2006
One more question: does the back of the iPod still seems very scratch prone?

It seems the problem is solved in the front part, but the back looks exactly the same as my 5G.

BTW, nice photos.:)

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
One more question: does the back of the iPod still seems very scratch prone?

It seems the problem is solved in the front part, but the back looks exactly the same as my 5G.

BTW, nice photos.:)

Yes, unfortunately. I was hoping the whole thing would be the anodized finish, but the back is still the regular shiny, mirrored finish.

Shorties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
Southern California
As you requested!

...and to answer your question, yes, I went with the Classic because of capacity. What I really wanted is the same thing a lot of people on this board wanted...the Touch with a high-capacity hard drive. Guess we'll all just have to wait it out.

Awesome Matt, thats the first time I have seen the black 160GB, mines gonna ship tonight so I wont get mine for another 4 days.

fredsherbet

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2007
Hertford, England
Does the 160 feel too thick?
Is it much different than the others?

i have the 160 silver, and the size is lovely (it's marginally thinner than the previous gen 80gig)

Could you tell us the size of your library (a break down of the audio, video, photos, other sizes from itunes and perhaps figures of how many songs/photos/vids would be lovely) cos i'm having issues when i put everything on

Cheers,
Fred

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
I have about 7200 songs, a couple of movies, and about 84 podcasts (about 2 gigs worth). My music is ripped in various different ways...I have a number of albums purchased from iTunes, a bunch ripped with NMP3 using a variable bit rate, and many that are 320kbps AAC (which I am in the process of re-ripping using NMP3). It is using up just over 60gb, which will drop once I convert all the 320kbps stuff into VBR MP3.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
It's sweet! My last iPod was a Photo, and I'm amazed at how many changes there are. Lots of little things. The menu is great, and it doesn't seem laggy at all. I'm pretty pleased!

That's sweet, it looks so shiny, I just compared it to my ipod photo which is so scratched up now. I've ordered a 16Gb touch, but I was really torn between shiny new gadget and capacity. But my 40gig photo is still going strong and is 35gig full, so it'll last me a few months until I can slip a 80gig classic past the wife :)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
My silver 160gb classic arrived about an hour ago.

I'm still syncing to it.

The new headphones these come with are SH*T :mad:

Seriously, if this is the classic, why were the 'classic' headphones so much better than these tinny, over treble heavy pieces of trash.

Thankfully I have spare 'new pair' of the old style headphones that came with the ipod radio remote.

€350 and utter rubbish headphones is a joke of a Microsoft Zune variety.

Oh for reference for people... the old 60gb 5g and 80gb 5.5g ipods are pretty much 'exactly' the same in shape and size. Only the matt metalic facia on the front and new os differentiates them. Handy if you already have a case/shield for your existing ipod as the new 160gb fits them down to a tee.

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
That black classic is sexy! Think your pics have helped me decide which one I want. Just need to go to the apple shop now and make my final decision, although i'm sure i'll debate the colour choice another 20 times, ha!

I'm going for the 80gb classic, as i want a nano also, so that I can use the Nike+ thingy.

Apple have done really well with these new iPods in my opinion

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.