My 17" MBP arrived this morning.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jeremy Gray, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Jeremy Gray macrumors regular

I didn't get the 7200 rpm hard drive, which I feel stupid for...but I did get high-res. So I'm still happy :)

[​IMG]

2. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

3. Jeremy Gray thread starter macrumors regular

I will. :)

I think I'm gonna take my laptop to a local Apple technician and have him install the memory I bought for me. Just because I don't want to mess anything up.

4. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

How much ram do you want in your 17" HD MacBook Pro?

5. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

OP, you can install a 7200 drive yourself I think (someone verify this 4 me)

6. Jeremy Gray thread starter macrumors regular

4gb, but Apple is robbery on RAM. So I bought 2 2gb sticks myself for $200. I am willing to pay someone to put them in, I just want it done well, and I might not be the best bet for that.

7. Jeremy Gray thread starter macrumors regular

I do believe that voids warranty.

8. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Nope, you can't. The MBP doesn't have a user replaceable HD, but an Apple certified repair technician could do it for a fee, but I don't know if Apple will do it though. You COULD do it yourself, but you would see that warrantee go away as soon as you popped that baby open.

9. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

it's super easy. just take out the battery, use a screwdriver to remove the casing directly underneath the battery, and you'll see 2 slots. push the ram up to about a 15 degree angle to remove the ram, and place the new one at the 15 degree angle and then click down.

10. Jeremy Gray thread starter macrumors regular

When I need a protractor to do something, it's not easy ;)

I'll think about doing it myself, but it'd be easy to take it fifteen minutes away and have them do it too. I'll have to find a screwdriver that'll fit first if I wanna try it myself. Ergh.

11. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

Memory really is a sinch to install... but if you don't have a screwdriver, that is a problem lol.:eek: May as well have someone do it if you really are worried and are THAT close to an apple store.

Btw... I hate you...:mad:

lol. ;) OK, so no, not really, but your picture and your macpro AND your 17 inch macbook pro sitting there all pretty like, makes me really really really envious!

ENJOY!:D

12. Jeremy Gray thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. :)
    I really wish I'd gotten that 7200 rpm hard drive, but I just tell myself it would have been more taxing on the battery. That makes me feel a little better. I'd rather have 4gb than a 7200 rpm drive when the firewire external I use is 7200. Ergh at rushing through ordering.

13. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Orly? Says who? I've removed my logic board. Twice LOL to replace apple's shoddy thermal paste application http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=316736 If you are a bit handy getting to the HD is pretty easy in these machines. If like the OP won't even install ram, well then don't even think about it. FYI there are no seals or warnings saying that if opened your warranty is void.

14. Jeremy Gray thread starter macrumors regular

Search it on apple.com. You'll find that you've voided your warranty I'm afraid.

15. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

I did but found nothing about voiding my warranty.

16. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Installing Another HD Does Not Void Warranty

You're being paranoid. It does not void the warranty to install another HD yourself if you don't break anything in the process.

17. Sherb macrumors member

Congrats, a Mac Pro and a Macbook Pro are the perfect duo :D

18. peterhecht macrumors newbie

Hi,

is your HD screen glossy or matte... please - more big pictures from the screen .. thanx :)

19. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

haha, you don't really need a protractor, my point was that it needs to be inserted in at an angle. you're better than me, i couldn't wait to add the memory when i first got my 2gb stick, and it was done in less than 5 minutes.

20. Jeremy Gray thread starter macrumors regular

I'll take some shots when I boot my new baby up later. I'll just post them in this thread.
    :apple:

21. mkgm1 macrumors regular

Just be careful not to lose the screws - apparently some people get screwed over (XD) by Apple when taking their machines for repair at some later date, and they're missing a screw or two.

Not sure if this is some company policy, I only remember reading about it here.