My 1st Gen MBP vs My Unibody MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by n8236, Jan 5, 2009.

1. n8236 macrumors 65816

I'm going to keep my review short and brief. All-in-all, Unibody MBP owns.

Screen: The glossy screen on the new is definitely much more defined and sharp. My old one wasn't bad, but in doing everyday things, it beats the crap out of the old one. Esp, in movies. The black border is a very nice touch, makes it look streamlined.

Body/Build: No latch, thank you Jesus......i mean Steve. It feels much more rigid cuz of the build process. No longer do you have loose screws or a flappy feeling of the top panel. The laptop as a whole just feels like a whole new beast. The access to ram, battery and hd is much needed.

Keyboard: It took a bit of adjusting to the new kb, but it feels better than ever. It's unfortunate the keys aren't color matched.

Speakers: New speakers are clearer and crisper.

Trackpad: I don't know what all the fuss is all about, but it's such a great evolution of the old. I use nearly all the functions all the time. Button-less trackpad is not only clean looking, but also streamlines the whole laptop.

Heat: My first generation MBP was one of those egg cookers and this new one is SO much better, words can't describe how much cooler the temp is. New component placement, I'm sure has helped a lot in this area.

I thought the 1st gen MBPs were a piece of art, but this Unibody is like the Da Vinci of Apple laptops (at least for me) :D

2. nph macrumors 6502a

Heat gone in UniBody MBP?

I just read this post and my question is if everyone agrees that the heat is gone when you are doing none intensive stuff such as browsning itunes etc?
    I have original MBP and had decided on the MBA rev B but given the screen issues it has I am starting to lean toward the new MBP. my biggest issues with my original MBP are heat and wifi reception. MBA would have been nice sizewise but a Unibody MBP is almost the same cost and it does offer a lot more horse power.
    Can you confirm if:
    1) Is heat is gone if not doing games or video etc?
    2) Better wifi reception?
    3) Battery time do you really reach close to 5 hours when browsing?

Many thanks

Btw, before anyone suggest the new MB I tried it and returned it since I couldn't stand the screen. Screen quality is the most important aspect for me.