Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
This is the strangest thing, as I was wearing my watch, I noticed that the screen came loose from the body. Looks like some sort of glue issue? I don't really wear my watch often or even take it out of the house, so I'm not sure why this happened. I would expect a higher quality coming from Apple. Anyways, I heard of the recent extended warranty that Apple will repair your watch free of charge for those who have the back part come off. Does this still apply for those who have the actual face coming off? If so, do I qualify for this free repair and how long does it take?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Wouldn't it make more sense to contact Apple? You know we don't work for them right?

No need to be facetious. The OP is seeking simple direction on how others have handled their experiences with the adhesive/display issues and or their experiences with Apple.

@212rikanmofo, in you're situation, Apple has extended the warranty coverage for your Apple Watch up to three years for issues with related to the adhesive/ battery. You should be covered for a replacement Watch. It does apply to first Generation Apple Watches.

Here are some articles explaining more in detail explaining the issues.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/04/28/original-apple-watch-repairs-extended/amp/

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/07/11/apple-watch-back-cover-service-policy/

Last edited:

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
No need to be facetious. The OP is seeking simple direction on how others have handled their experiences with the adhesive/display issues and or their experiences with Apple.

@212rikanmofo, in you're situation, Apple has extended the warranty coverage for your Apple Watch up to three years for issues with related to the adhesive/ battery. You should be covered for a replacement Watch. It does apply to first Generation Apple Watches.

Here are some articles explaining more in detail of articles explaning the issues.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/04/28/original-apple-watch-repairs-extended/amp/

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/07/11/apple-watch-back-cover-service-policy/

Thank you so much for understanding... that helps! :)

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Yes I contacted them, they sent me a shipping kit which I then shipped my watch to them, they told me most likely it will be a replacement and not a fix at no costs. Overall, I'm pleased. I hope I get a 2nd Gen but I doubt it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yes I contacted them, they sent me a shipping kit which I then shipped my watch to them, they told me most likely it will be a replacement and not a fix at no costs. Overall, I'm pleased. I hope I get a 2nd Gen but I doubt it.

Your first generation Apple Watch will likely be replaced by a first generation or a Series One. Either way, good news that it won't Cost you due To the issue.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
Your first generation Apple Watch will likely be replaced by a first generation or a Series One. Either way, good news that it won't Cost you due To the issue.

I have the same issue and I hope that they give me the Second Generation because my Apple Watch has a Sapphire crystal and it cost me $599 dollars. The first generation costs only $299 dollars and it has a Ion-X glass.

I also have AppleCare+ and the coverage will end on November. Maybe I will wait for the September event where maybe Apple will release the new Apple Watch 3 and it will be easier to get a new generation 2 Apple Watch that is similar to my watch.

Suddenly people is getting issues with the front screen of their Apple Watches exactly like on the back, the glue is not working after some years and Apple will have to fix all Apple Watches with this issue.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Top screen came off last week, handing on by video cable. Almost ordered a adhesive kit to fix it. The opted to take it into Apple Store. They submitted it for diagnosis and with a few days emailed to pick up a new watch. Still a series 1, but appears new..does not matter. It works great. Not sure whey they do not just replace the battery.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I have the same issue and I hope that they give me the Second Generation because my Apple Watch has a Sapphire crystal and it cost me $599 dollars. The first generation costs only $299 dollars and it has a Ion-X glass.

I also have AppleCare+ and the coverage will end on November. Maybe I will wait for the September event where maybe Apple will release the new Apple Watch 3 and it will be easier to get a new generation 2 Apple Watch that is similar to my watch.

Suddenly people is getting issues with the front screen of their Apple Watches exactly like on the back, the glue is not working after some years and Apple will have to fix all Apple Watches with this issue.

Whether a watch has sapphire crystal or glass is based on the case material, not the series/generation. If it's an aluminium model (sport or later just called aluminium) then it will have glass. If it's a stainless steel case or better (gold/ceramic - Edition), it will have sapphire.

Edit: Just for completeness, I believe they did change the back material on the aluminium from Composite on series 0, to ceramic on 1 & 2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.