My 1st Website Creation

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by macgfxdesigner, Jun 19, 2007.

1. macgfxdesigner macrumors regular

So here it is, after about two days of work, I finished my first web site. I usually don't do any web design, (just print) but the client who I designed the logo for wanted a website, so I said sure I will do it. Broke out the CSS book and Google is your friend!! This is the final product....

Comments are welcomed and if you find any bugs please tell me! I do know about the site map, contact us, directions not working

"drum roll" CLICK HERE

2. Kuma76 macrumors member

can i have that 5 minutes of my life back now?
    no JUST JOKING im no expert but i thought it was impressive

3. macgfxdesigner thread starter macrumors regular

haha thanks!

4. pengu macrumors 6502a

Just a tip.

Use unordered lists for navigation "lists" such as tabs/navigation bars/menus.

5. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

German cars but no Audi :confused: :p

Site looks good, applicable to the purpose and functional. "Contact Us" is not working but you already know that.

6. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

If you really did that in two days you deserve to be rich.

7. jng macrumors 65816

jng

That's a silly comment that adds no value.

Anyway, to the OP, great job. I can see that you're a print designer from your web design too - not a bad thing! It's very usable and I love large fonts.

My one constructive comment would be to redo the "CONTACT INFORMATION" in the right sidebar. I feel tha that information should be more prominent, especially hours than it currently is. And I'm not digging the separated blocks for that part.

For one thing, I didn't immediately realize that those were email links, b/c they didn't look as such. I still prefer underlined links or at least different colors so I can tell what's a link, even for something like email.

8. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

On the contrary, it was a compliment bar none. My first site that looked that good took a lot longer than 2 days.

9. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

not to detract from the coolness of this site, but in the world of CSS, everything is stolen. though the correct word is "appropriated".

2 days is definitely not enough time to create a template like that from scratch and squash all browser bugs.

If you DID create it from a blank text document, kudos thats an awesome job.

Nonetheless, good site, good colors, good layout. Good start!

10. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

LOVE IT!! Fantastic job. The only note I have is that the logo for "30 years experience" is much more prominent than the actual logo/name of the shop....but it looks good how you have it, so I am not sure if it's worth changing (the 30 years graphic is the highlight of the design).

11. jng macrumors 65816

jng

"You deserve to be rich" is a silly statement, regardless of whether or not it's a compliment. That was my point.

I'm sure if you factor in the fact that the OP had to learn CSS, it took more than 2 days. If he's already a print designer and has a good tech/web sense. That website is totally doable in 2 days.

12. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

I think it was just hyberbole meant for fun. Silly? Yes. Wrong? Not really. anyway, it really doesn't matter. He did say it was a first website I believe...

13. hsotnicaM macrumors regular

Hmm, heard of Dreamweaver...? Extremely simple and could very easily create a website like this in two days, if not one day. "test in browser" in Dreamweaver is a great function and helps me "squash all browser bugs" quickly. Cut and paste HTML code is also helpful. ;)

14. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

there you go, not created in 2 days from scratch.

15. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Bull.

I use dreamweaver. But I use its code view and I hand code all my pages. Does that mean it's not from scratch? No.

That page is great looking but it's doable in 2 days (including conception). All you need is someone with skill and a design eye. Get over it if that's not you.

16. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

you said cut and paste.

i did not slam DW at all.

stop mis-reading my posts.

17. JHacker macrumors 6502

JHacker

I disagree with you. Maybe for someone with no CSS knowledge, but I got a site I'm working on up and running in 2 days - killing most browser bugs - and writing all the code from scratch.

It just depends how motivated you are.

18. macuser9214 macrumors member

did you write it yourself, or use an editor?

I like writing my stuff from scratch (HTML)

19. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

It's very clean and pleasing to the eye. good job.