My 1TB External Hard Drive only supports 315 GB. Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LaceyTD12, Jun 9, 2013.

1. LaceyTD12 macrumors newbie

Hello, about a year ago I bought a iomega eGo external hard drive because my MacBook was becoming overrun by files. When I first attached it to the computer, Apple asked if I would like to make it my time machine and I said yes thinking that it was good to back things up while I could. However, the 1 TB promised is now down to 315GB. I've heard that it's because of a huge influx of hidden files and I've attempted to delete them, but I haven't found a solution that's helped.

I've taken the hard drive off as a time machine but it can still only hold 315GB which is frustrating considering how much I paid for the hard drive.

Is there a way to somehow "unlock" the 685GB that could be still used instead of shelling out more money on another hard drive?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Let's back up a bit.

Do you still have Time Machine data on there? Are you saying the space remaining is 315GB, or with the drive blank there is only 315GB available?

If you don't care about the data on the drive you can just use Disk Utility to erase the whole drive. That will get it back to full capacity and wipe everything on it.

3. LaceyTD12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. That's what I meant. Sorry, kind of bad at explaining things sometimes.

So I just have to use the Disk Utility to erase the whole external hard drive and then I'll be good to go?

4. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

yes, because you allocated space for the timemachine

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes. When you open Disk Util select drive brand name at the top like Iomega 1TB as opposed to any partition on that drive. This will ensure the whole thing gets wiped.

6. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Actually, if you just gave the whole disk to Time Machine, you don't have to do anything.

Time Machine will use the whole disk if it can - but if you are using it for your own files then Time Machine will automatically back off as the disk becomes full.

A.