My 2.3/16/256 RMBP Delivered 2 Weeks Early!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by erikmoss, Jun 30, 2012.

1. erikmoss macrumors newbie

Just a friendly tip:

I saw a thread earlier about people calling Apple to check up on delivery status, only to be surprised by a free Superdrive or wireless mouse, etc. I immediately called to try to swing some free swag out of my 2.3/16/256 setup with 2-3 expedited shipping (estimated delivery 3-4 weeks, July 11-17). I waited a few days after the keynote to order, placed June 13th. It was still under "Processing" when I called.

On Thursday (6/28), I spoke to a woman at Apple named Donna who, despite being super friendly, did not seem eager to part with any free hardware. I even mentioned the fact that I was replacing a 2008 MBP and have been a happy mac customer for years. But still nothing.. She insisted she knew as much as I did on shipping dates (3-4 weeks), but to keep checking the order status in case anything develops. I hung up feeling a little disappointed, but what could I expect? I went about the rest of my day like nothing changed.

By the end of the night my order jumps to preparing to ship and by Friday--yesterday, 06/29--the thing has shipped!! I am ecstatic. The email from apple says delivery date July 5th, which is over a week jump for me. Very happy at this point. I click on the FedEx tracking and see that it has been processed at Shanghai, with expected delivery next Tuesday, July 3rd. At this point I am going nuts. It is finally coming, I think.

The package came this morning (06/30) at 10:22 am. Speechless. Playing with it right now, an absolute quantum leap from my 08 non unibody macbook pro.

TL;DR - if you call in, seem eager, demonstrate customer loyalty, etc, you might just get a special surprise within 36 hours! :)

2. dhartung02 macrumors 6502

Wow...i have been waiting weeks, i hope I get an early surprise!

3. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

I think it's just a coincidence. I don't think the frontline reps have any ability to slot your order in the 'front of the line'- at least, that's what I was told by the supervisor of the supervisor of the rep who initially answered my call.

The supervisor said that Apple's (engineering? the clarity of the call wasn't that great so I missed some words) team expressed interest in 'capturing' my machine due to the fact that it had come without an operating system installed, but they could not get my CTO replacement order in the front of the manufacturing line and thus I would have to wait another month or so before getting a replacement. If they couldn't get a replacement order for me in the front of the queue I doubt a frontline rep would be able to.

Glad you got your laptop this quickly though!

4. Jeff3f, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012

Jeff3f macrumors member

I think it's because their estimate includes the days you'll spend using migration assistant, installing software via a 2nd PC's optical drive (thru wifi), and then accomplishing the first time machine backup by wifi. I fired up my new discless ethernetless MBP yesterday evening and since then it's basically been doing these set up tasks. At this point in the process, I kinda see the thunderbolt ethernet adapter as a convenience fee! Really, it's like 1% of what one might have paid and it can shave several hours off of all these fun tasks!!

Hoo Ha!

(glad the above poster got his mac a bit early)

I would dearly like to see cheaper thunderB cables and a thunderB port on the next gen time capsule!!

(edited to fix my dumb math error--it was my understanding that there would be no math--thanks TMBP!)

5. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

I'm going to be pedantic here and let you know that $29 is actually 1% of $2900, not 0.1% ;)

6. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

OP, you've earned it.

I present:

Attached Files:

7. lians60 macrumors member

I as well have a similar experience.

I ordered my Macbook Retina last week. It was shipped today!

I ordered the base model which probably explains to quick shipment.

8. cecildk9999 macrumors regular

cecildk9999

I think that the estimates are inflated to the longest possible window so that we'll be pleasantly surprised when the order gets shipped early. In particular, I think that Amazon's Super Saver Shipping demonstrates this tactic quite admirably. Of course, I'm thrilled for the earlier ship times: I got a shipment notification myself this morning for my new RMBP, and am now looking at a Friday delivery instead of the mid-July timeframe I had planned on.

9. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

The estimate is when the package will show up.

Nothing more, just a best guess from the moment your order is confirmed.

The balance of supply verses demand may tip the scales in your favor for a certain configuration.

Enjoy it

10. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Would you mind calling Apple for me to see if they can speed up my order, too? :)