My 2.4 (4GB RAM) cant run bioshock or Diablo 2?!?!

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by vinyls, Mar 17, 2009.

1. vinyls macrumors member

Firstly, boot camp ---> win xp pro (300mb version cutting out all the crap)

i installed bioshock first, NOOO go... wasnt playable..?

then Diablo 2 just now.. everything was choppy but playable.. except in high fps places.. like bosses etc..

is it the xp i downloaded?? should i get vista??

also it says PC/MAC on the d2 case but it gives me a weird error if i put it on my mac OS

Any help/advice appreciated!!

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Install bootcamp drivers
    Install latest nvidia drivers for your graphics card

3. vinyls thread starter macrumors member

bootcamp drivers are done (the ones that get your windows out of the retarted state at first right?)

nvidia drivers.. hummmm BRB lol

4. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

nVidia has released the notebook drivers official so check that. I would think bioshock would work it could be your windows. I'm using tinyXP but it hasn't had any issues although I did install .NET framework b/c a few games require that to install though I doubt bioshock would. my tinyVista 64bit had a few issues b/c .NET was stripped and could not be installed so I installed TinyXP

5. vinyls thread starter macrumors member

Alrught iv somehow ****ed up my XP now.. : /

i downloaded the latest notebook driver: http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/geforce_notebook_winxp_179.48_beta_uk.html
    and it asked for a reboot.. i let it happen.

i forgot to hold down alt to get into windows so it went into mac, restarted and went into windows.. it loads with the windows logo and all.. goes to a blue screen quickly and then reboots..

whats just happend :S:S

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Is your windows partition NTFS? Doesn't work so well in FAT.

7. vinyls thread starter macrumors member

yeah well when i was installing it, i tried fat and i got "invalid disk, press any key"error

so i tried one of the NTFS's and that didnt work, then i tried formatting NTFS and that worked..

I just feel like downloading a fresh untouched copy of XP and re installing it??

or can i get out of this pickle? Thanks for your help dude..

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Probably your install disk was bad.

Um, some companies provide Corporate version which works better than regular versions.

9. vinyls thread starter macrumors member

ok im gona reinstall xp..

cant i get one last advice off you.. shall i go XP.. vista?? pro, home??

for gaming and gaming only that is..

oh and shall i delete the partition and start from scratch or is there a quicker way??

thanks for all the advice dude..!!

10. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

I would go XP Pro, although depending on which games you are playing, you may want DX 10 support, therefore Vista. And yes you need to delete your partition, then re-partition it, but don't worry its not hard at all: just open up Boot Camp Assistant and hit "Delete Partition" or whatever the option is. Then re-partition it and install XP Pro or Vista depending on your needs.

11. vinyls thread starter macrumors member

sweet you've helped loads..

still a bit unsure about XP or Vista.. but ill do that research on my own accord

Thanks a lot for your help dude!

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

google:
    xp or vista site:forums.macrumors.com

13. Whiteman007 macrumors member

14. Herodotis macrumors newbie

Did you download a pirated version of xp?
    Get a mac version of Diablo 2 (great game). Don't know if they make a mac bioshock.

Cheers

15. waiwai macrumors regular

i just installed d2 and lod on my mac (same specs as urs cept faster HD) in OS X and it works like a charm in Open GL mode...

go to blizz site and grab the digital download using ur "legit" key...

16. imassents macrumors 6502

You could've uninstalled the the video card drivers in safe mode. You could then attempt a reinstall of the nVidia drivers or the bootcamp package to restore video card functionality. Safe mode only loads bare bones basics to get get windows running.

To enter safe mode, load up XP while spamming the F8 key before the Windows XP logo appears. Then simply go to Add/Remove programs to uninstall the drivers (may need to remove the bootcamp ones too and start over).

The only way to run Diablo 2 in Windows without it chopping everywhere is to use a Glide Wrapper. It pretty much enables OpenGL support (Glide is a small subset of OpenGL). DirectX was only new technology back when it Diablo was released and has never worked well.