My 2 month old MBP lost 10% capacity on battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sniffs, Feb 22, 2013.

1. sniffs macrumors regular

sniffs

so I have a appointment today at the Genius Bar. If I take it in, do they test/replace the battery instore? or will they have to take it?

I ask because my laptop is my work laptop and if they have to take it, that's no bueno..

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They usually won't consider replacing a battery until it drops below 80% health. It is very likely there is absolutely nothing wrong with your battery. It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. sniffs thread starter macrumors regular

sniffs

Just got back from Apple.. before I left, coconut battery showed me at 89%.. I take it into Apple and they run their bootup diagnostic and it shows at 95% which obviously doesn't warrant a bad battery.

I was reading your article and noticed it said that these little battery apps can be 5-6% off, so that explains that.

I've since removed coconut battery and will just use the thing normally. I kept checking that stupid app daily and got so paranoid that it was ruining my experience!

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's the danger in using such apps. You're fine if you run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.

5. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Is it possible for mere users to run a boot up diagnosis like the one the OP mentioned? If so, how?

6. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

7. sniffs thread starter macrumors regular

sniffs

I noticed that they plugged in an ethernet cord and while booted held the N key down. I'm willing to bet that when doing this, it boots some terminal OS over the network and unless you have the server and the device plugged into it, it won't do anything.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yep, holding the 'n' key during startup boots from a networked computer that has a NetBoot volume.