My 2 week old, brand new MBP lost 300mAH?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sniffs, Jan 24, 2013.

1. sniffs macrumors regular

sniffs

According to Battery Health(app on app store), my brand new Macbook Pro's battery health is 5446mAH of 5770mAH, or 94.7% of capacity.

I bought the MBP like 2 weeks ago and it says my battery is 3 months old already..

Is this normal? That missing charge could mean the difference between 15-30 minutes of a charge.

It's gone through 24 charge cycles so far and I've even depleted it once to "recalibrate it" but according to Apple, the new unibody Mac's come pre-calibrated.. Should I care about that missing charge?

2. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

Probably normal. Fluctuation like this is normal during the battery's lifespan. If it keeps going down, or you notice other signs of a faulty battery, see apple.

A cycle means going through a full 100-0% charge. This could mean going from 100-80, recharging to 100 again, going down to 20%, that counts as 1 cycle.

3. sniffs thread starter macrumors regular

sniffs

If I see Apple, do they open the thing up and pop a new battery in? or do they swap my device out and expect me to restore via TM?

4. LeeM macrumors 6502a

mine shows as a couple of months old when i bought it, and goes between 85 and 90%
    be right

5. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

If you see apple, first they have to determine that you have a faulty battery. It doesn't seem like you do though.

Then they will typically just swap it out.

6. De5 macrumors member

Mine is about 5 months old now-

Attached Files:

7. sniffs thread starter macrumors regular

sniffs

Your health is higher than mine and mine's 2 weeks old.. just being cautious i guess..

8. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

As far as I know, Apple will only replace the battery when is drops below 80% of its design capacity.
    Maybe you should calibrate it. It is possible that the numbers you get are not accurate.
    Mine is about 6 months old now, and it still around 97% to 100%.

Try this:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

One of the first thing Apple says in that link is. "Portables with built-in batteries
    Current Apple portable computer batteries are pre-calibrated and do not require the calibration procedure outlined in this article. These computers use batteries that should be replaced only by an Apple Authorized Service Provider."

I don't think the calibration procedure even has any effect on the newer batteries.

OP, I'd suggest just using your computer and forgetting about the battery. Just run it down and charge it every couple weeks and it'll be fine.