My 2008 MBP just died

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marcmarclala, Mar 8, 2016.

1. marcmarclala macrumors newbie

marcmarclala

Hi all! I am new to this but I really appreciate some help here. I have an older MBP 2008 15" 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 6MB L2 cache. I recently updated to El Captain and it just died in front of me. The light near the lid is on and some harddisc sound but that's all when I switch it on. PLEASE HELP! Thanks so much

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

It could be anything, hard drive, logic board, RAM, but for that machine it's quite likely the GPU. At pushing 8 years old fixing it is probably not worth the time money and effort but that's down to you.

Try booting from a time machine back up if you have one if that works then it's your hard drive..... If it doesn't then it's probably your logic board or GPU.

3. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

If it's the hard drive then that's a cheap fix, but for anything more than that you'll probably have to say goodbye to it. To everything there is a season, and so forth.

4. EmlynDewar macrumors member

Do you have an external monitor you can plug into it?
    I'm still running the early 2008 15" and am just waiting for the 8600GT to bite the dust. Amazed it's still going.

5. marcmarclala thread starter macrumors newbie

marcmarclala

Thanks all! I tried to connect it to the TV...then I think it's the GPU....

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

The best way to begin problem-solving in a situation like this is to connect a bootable backup drive, and see if -that- will boot the computer (when the internal drive can't).

Should quickly rule out whether or not it's a hardware or software problem with the internal drive.

If the MacBook -still- won't boot -- might be time to start shopping for a replacement.

Actually, 7+ to 8 years isn't bad for a laptop!

7. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

This makes me nervous. My own 2008 MBP is still chugging along. Cracked and distorted screen, cracked and malfunctioning touch pad, malfunctioning DVD drive, worn out headphone port and a swollen battery....but it just plain won't quit...yet. Everything is backed up in anticipation. I hope yours comes back to life.

I'm definitely replacing mine this year with a new Skylake version, which can't happen soon enough.