My 2008 white macbook is STUCK on the gray screen!!! HELP =(

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by notaznguy, May 20, 2012.

1. notaznguy macrumors member

I have a 2008 white macbook and am using Leopard.

Okay, my friend bought Diablo 3's collector edition, but I also wanted to play with his Diablo 2 that came with the USB in the collector's edition. I installed the game, and then went on google.com and searched "Play Diablo 2 without CD" and stumbled on this website:

http://www.macusersg.org/forums/index.php?topic=45821.0

It didn't look shady and all the users were happy. I went on the links mentioned in that page. I went to blizzard's website and downloaded the patch. Then I went on mediafire and downloaded that 256 color patch. After installing the color patch, it asked me to restart my computer, so I did. When I restarted it, it loaded on the gray screen, then it looked like it was about to start up and went to the light blue screen. Then suddenly, it went back to the gray screen and it's just sorta stuck there. My left mouse point is "stuck" at the top left, but I actually can move my mouse point around, though it turns into the rainbow volleyball. Then the loading spinning circle thing just stops spinning.

I don't know what happened and this is freaking me out. I'm able to still use my computer, but only because I'm currently using the WINDOWS side of it (fortunately, I installed both OSX and Windows on my Macbook).

I also ran the safe mode (Shift + Command + V) and it won't work. It eventually just stops and nothing happens. What can I do?

Also, I have my original OSX Leopard CD, but I left it at home and I'm at college currently and can't get it currently.

2. DrakkenWar macrumors 6502

DrakkenWar

Well I will take a stab at it...

First off, what you where looking to do from the outset was illegal. The copy of Diablo 2 you were trying to install and play belonged to your buddy, not you. That is piracy anyway you cut it. ;) Secondly, you went to a site that seems to based or affiliated with Singapore and assumed it was on the up and up. ( Assuming anything makes and ass out of you and me, but that is by the by). From there you went to a file upload site that makes PirateBay look like the Vatican on the interwebs and blindly downloaded "patches" to make said pirated game work.
    In your drive to play a game that was not yours to play you have mostly likely pwned your OSX install, and I would think you are stuck with your windows partition until you can reinstall from your originals.

On that note? I would not go looking online for an "up an up" torrent of Leopard to reinstall on your macbook. As I guess you have learned. Even the internet has it's own form of herpes...

~Drake