my 2009 13" MBP burned me, literally...what to do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by john2049, Feb 5, 2010.

1. john2049 macrumors member

Hey everyone,
    long story short, my Macbook Pro burnt me. It has been having several issues since I got it 6 months ago, (FW/SD ports do no work unless I reboot computer for each thing I plug in, iSight flickers colors, battery lasts max 3 hours, has turned off randomly with full battery, and some heat issues i.e. it just seemed to run pretty hot) but this is a little more serious of an issue. I had my MBP sitting on my desk, I had safari running, nothing else. I was going to move the computer. When I picked it up I was stunned by the intense heat. I picked it up with my left hand under the power support/logic board area, (basically the left side of the computer) and luckily was able to quickly put i down onto a couch. I ran under cold water, bandage, etc. etc.etc. Unfortunately my pointer finger, (and a little bit of my middle) was left with a burn. It was one of thos burns where your skin is red, and sensitive to touch. This kind of stinks because I am a musician part time. Shrugs. What should I do? I

'm already in contact with an executive solutions rep. at Apple. She has offered to mail it in to get fixed, although engineers really want to take a look at it, which would take an extra 7 days. I'm a little frustrated, because i've got a burn on my fingers, and have to lose my computer for several days. Uggghhh, is losing my computer for 10 to 14 days as good as it gets? Anyone experience this, or have suggestions for me, please? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone, sorry this is so long
    -john

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Put a Band-Aid on the burn and don't lift your MBP by that hot spot again. :rolleyes:

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't really believe you. the MBP gets hot but I doubt you were "burned".

4. carl l macrumors newbie

5. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

First go to the doctor and get a medical treatment and a report of the burn.
    Next, tell the rep you need a replacement and reimbursement for the doctor's visit and that you'll forward them the bill.
    If that doesn't get you a replacement - call a lawyer.

OR

You could ask nicely for a replacement. If they say no, then you'll have to live with it.

BTW: Why haven't you taken this in for service if you've had so many problems with it?

6. iBryton macrumors regular

7. john2049 thread starter macrumors member

nice laughs, to the last couple. To the top two, A) i'm not sure why you would accuse me of lying, but I apologize if that is your perception. I'm not sure why I would lie about something like that B) what is a troll? Sighs

To the others, do you think a replacement is warranted? I wasn't sure if it was or not, I don't mind it getting fixed, but I just mainly don't want to lose my computer for 10 days!!! :)

PS: i haven't taken it in for service because I really can't be without it. So i've dealt with all my problems for the time being.

8. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

9. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

You need to have Apple fix it. I know it means giving up your computer for a week or so. Ask for a replacement. Heck, ask for Apple to take yours back and give you a permanent replacement unit. Machines with as many problems as yours are lemons and you deserve a replacement. The last thing you or Apple wants is for your machine to malfunction again and burn down the house or really hurt someone.

If your car's brakes didn't work, but you really need a car, what would you do?

10. john2049 thread starter macrumors member

no offense, but i'm not going get out of bed, take a picture, reboot my computer for my SD card slot, put the picture on my iphoto, and then upload it to this forum, which i don't even know how to do. Gesse, i've only posted on macrumors like twice, and each time rather than help, i get sarcastic and crass comments. I don't know why our culture has endorsed crass and disrespectful behavior, it is kind of a bummer. If you don't believe me, or think it is a stupid thread, then please don't post. Please let the people who want to help, or give advice post. Please it is a waste of everyones time. If you don't like me, or whatever, then please stand up for your convictions and give the greatest form of rejection, ignoring it. Please, seriously people, either leave something productive or nothing at all. thank you for the one person who left me a serious comment. I super super appreciate it.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What do you honestly expect people to say to such a ridiculous comment? You want someone to heal you? Give you a computer? Pat your shoulder and say, "Awwww. Poor burned user!"? There's nothing that anyone in this forum can say or do. If you were really burned, get treatment. If your MBP is defective, get it fixed or replaced. You need a doctor and/or Apple, not us.

12. john2049 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the advice, being friday night, I think i'm going to call on monday and see if that is a possibility! I just wanted to make sure that was valid. Thanks so much.

13. john2049 thread starter macrumors member

As i said before, why do you feel the need to even comment? It just seems like a waste of time. Of course I don't want someone to heal me, if you read my first comment, I never implied for anyone to do so. You made that allegation. All I was asking is if it was possible to get a replacement computer, and if anyone has dealt with this. I don't see the need for you to reply with rude and sarcastic comments.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You asked for suggestions. You got suggestions. If you don't like the suggestions, don't ask for them. If you don't like someone's suggestion or comment, you don't have to reply to it.

15. john2049 thread starter macrumors member

Sighs..............thanks anyway. I appreciate the others who gave some good advice to a newbie with forums.

16. helenaliu macrumors newbie

Thanks for sharing these kinds of information on these forums, even if they can be met with defensiveness. I am considering purchasing a 13" MBP, my first Mac, and without hearing about potential problems that it can have, I have quickly gained an unrealistic expectation of the perfection of Apple products. That kind of delusion has led me to purchase exorbitant products from Apple in the past when they were first released, only to find them buggy and disappointing. You are not the first person whom I have heard complain about the heat of their MBPs, so I for one, will be more careful if I am picking up my future laptop. By being open and honest about the imperfections of your MBP, it allows us eager switchers to make more informed choices about how we enter the world of Macs, rather than leaving us to get burned (no pun intended) by unrealistic expectations.

Sorry to hear you have hurt yourself, I hope your fingers are feeling better and you get your Mac sorted. Maybe the aluminium body heats up more than plastic PC cases? Perhaps Apple should design iGloves to be used with their MBPs from now on?

17. john2049 thread starter macrumors member

i'm glad you got something out of it. glad it helped someone! i agree with all of you statements completely. thanks :)