My 2010 17" MBP destroys SSDs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chopper dave, Apr 28, 2011.

1. chopper dave macrumors regular

I got my MBP the day it came out, and wanted the latest and greatest. Here is my SSD hell list:

1. Corsair F100 (sandforce 1st gen): disk utility sees it, never makes it through OSX installation, totally dead soon after. I return it figuring I got a dud, and go with the more reliable Intel.

2. Intel G2 160GB #1: works great, no problems, then after 3 months BAM fails. I hook it up to my PC desktop and it won't work there either. Intel sends me a warranty replacement

3. Intel G2 160GB #2: works great, no problems, then after 3 months BAM fails. I hook it up to my PC desktop and it won't work there either. Intel says that no one has ever gotten two defective drives, only people with faulty motherboards can break more than one drive, but they are an awesome company so they send me another warranty replacement

4. Intel G2 160GB #3: haha yeah right, I cut my losses and sell that sucker on ebay.

After Intel failure #2 I call Apple support and they say tough luck, they only guarantee Apple parts will work, so I'm stuck saving up for the Apple 256GB SSD at $800!

Obviously my MB is not behaving to spec and sending too much power to the hard drive bay or something. The physical hard drive that came with the laptop has been in there for 6 months now with no issue, but what use is a Ferrari with a Volkswagen engine?

Has anyone else had this problem? Maybe if we can show it's systematic, it will eventually get some sort of recall. I really don't want to pay the 2x premium for Apple's SSD.

2. iCBF macrumors newbie

Where can you actually purchase these apple ssds?!?

3. frankieboy macrumors regular

Did you flip off the switch on the motherboard labeled "Destroy All SSDs"? Its right next to the miniature stick of dynamite. :D

4. iCBF macrumors newbie

chopper dave: well??

where can i buy an apple ssd to install in my macbook pro???

incase you didn't notice i'm really eager to know :p

5. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

6. jenzjen macrumors 68000

You should have kept Intel #3 to see if it died. While 2 would be rare, 3 would be rarer still and a good signal that either something with the remaining hardware or user use is causing the failure.

7. mac jones, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  8. chopper dave thread starter macrumors regular

Apple's parts department can perform an upgrade for you- I was redirected there by the standard applecare rep. They treat it as if you had a failed SSD that wasn't under warranty.

9. chopper dave thread starter macrumors regular

I am not too eager to subject myself to another random drive failure- I use my computer for work, and it's not worth the week of downtime. Time machine saved me both times, but I'd rather avoid the experience.