Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Hello All,

Longtime MacRumors member but don't post frequently here in the MBP forum. Need some advice from current 2015 MBP users:

I currently use a 2010 17" MBP i5 and love it. I am running Bootcamp with Win 7 for the work side as my software is specialized (Litigation/trial technology consulting). My computer is still running great but is getting a bit aged. Considering whether to stick with Apple as I really am happy with my MBP.

After reading up on the new crop, I am virtually certain that it would be very difficult for me to use the redesigned 2016 as it require me to use a dongle/adaptor for literally EVERY connection I make while using my computer. This includes wired mouse (necessary for reasons I won't bore you with), external USB drive(s), SD card reader, VGA or HDMI adaptor, extension for power and an external optical drive which my current has (I understand the industry has moved away from optical drives but just another thing I have to dongle dongle dongle). God help me if I forget to bring an adaptor or one breaks on me. It would be disastrous.

So, 2015 users, would you suggest scooping one up while I still can get one new? At this point it's either that or I'm looking to Windows (Surfacebook or gaming laptop that's light but powerful). I hate to give up the Apple OS but...

Also, I'd have to Bootcamp Win 10 onto my new MBP.

Very frustrating as I have joined the camp of disappointed Apple faithful. I understand technology marches on but they might have just obsoleted me and my job from using them from this point into to the foreseeable future.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

krishmk

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
I picked out a base 2015, 15" off of eBay, new one for $1600. eBay has some deals, but go with reputable seller.

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
I have the same 2010 and just got the 2016 15, just do the upgrade. It's better in every way sure you might have to deal with a dongle or two but it's faster, more ram everything is nice. I can't wait to chuck my 2010 off a cliff.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
I have the same 2010 and just got the 2016 15, just do the upgrade. It's better in every way sure you might have to deal with a dongle or two but it's faster, more ram everything is nice. I can't wait to chuck my 2010 off a cliff.

Thanks for the input. Good to hear it feels like a big upgrade from the 17" MBP. My problem is that it's not just a dongle or two. I frequently have live, high pressure work environments that could be catastrophically affected by a faulty or missing (forgotten) dongle. And, again, I would need one for every single connection I routinely make. Every one. That would mean it would probably be safest to carry a multiple usb hub. Also, hearing talk of very noisy keyboard which would be a big issue as well.

The thing is, if I won the lottery, I'd buy a MBP and never look back as I wouldn't need to worry about connection issues after retiring!

I know I probably answered my own question in my original post but still welcome feedback.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
I would tend to recommend the 2015, in your case. The 2016 has migrated much further from what you're looking for, and the 2015 is going to be a LOT faster than the 2010. Do be aware that the screen's going to be... difficult. You can sorta get to the equivalent of a 1920x1200 display on it, but it will not be as crisp as the actual native resolution screen was, and it'll be smaller. At the next scale over, it'll be okay, but you'll have less screen real estate, and a lot of stuff will look a bit fuzzy because of Retina scaling.

Alternatively, get a Windows machine. It sucks, but you get a lot more choice in hardware.

And general macrumors advice, when someone tells you something's definitely not a problem and totally worth it, my experience has been they're usually wrong. The people who admit there could be problems but think something's worth it are a lot more informative.

But basically, with your need for legacy stuff? Get the machine with a better keyboard and with the ports you actually need now.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
I would tend to recommend the 2015, in your case. The 2016 has migrated much further from what you're looking for, and the 2015 is going to be a LOT faster than the 2010. Do be aware that the screen's going to be... difficult. You can sorta get to the equivalent of a 1920x1200 display on it, but it will not be as crisp as the actual native resolution screen was, and it'll be smaller. At the next scale over, it'll be okay, but you'll have less screen real estate, and a lot of stuff will look a bit fuzzy because of Retina scaling.

Alternatively, get a Windows machine. It sucks, but you get a lot more choice in hardware.

And general macrumors advice, when someone tells you something's definitely not a problem and totally worth it, my experience has been they're usually wrong. The people who admit there could be problems but think something's worth it are a lot more informative.

But basically, with your need for legacy stuff? Get the machine with a better keyboard and with the ports you actually need now.

Thank you...this is exactly the kind of input I was looking for. The screen real estate will be missed going to 15 inches but I think, regardless of the type of machine I end up with, I'll be going that route any way. As I travel a great deal and carry two laptops at all times weight is a factor. I remember the old days lugging around a 9 pound HP laptop with a 17 inch screen (still have it and it still works great).

I didn't realize that the screen would seem fuzzy. In fact, quite the opposite. I figured with the Retina display I'd be looking at a much nicer screen than I am now.

Getting what works for me now is probably the best advice. I will miss the optical drive although I use it infrequently now. Unfortunately, many of my clients are still stuck in the 2000s though.

Also, glad to hear there is a noticeable difference in performance going from the 2010 to the 2015. Obviously, I should should assume this to be the case but sometimes you don't notice in day to day. I'm still stuck on USB 2 so that will be a nice upgrade for me.

And, bonus, I still get the glowing Apple!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.