My 2010 iMac sucks !! Literally... !!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by florion, Mar 28, 2013.

1. florion macrumors newbie

When I first bought my iMac I was very excited than it just passed a year and it was a hard drive problem with a question mark appearing in the start-up screen. I replaced the hard drive and one week ago the display of my iMac was going off everytime but still the computer and the disks were running normally. I sent it to the nearest place to fix it. I haven't got it back yet, I am going to get it tomorrow but I need your help guys... What can I do to prevent my iMac from going crazy for the third time ? I mean... what's the problem ? Thanks.

2. All Taken macrumors 6502a

Disappointed to say the least. I was fully expecting a picture of a literal sucking iMac.

3. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

hahaha^ ....i dust my imac every 2-3 days i don't stress it out too much when i do i use smc fan control to keep it cool and i always shut it down at night. i have a air purifier in the room running so its clean air in the room and i did put a ssd in there because i hate hdd's.

4. florion thread starter macrumors newbie

Well... I can say that my iMac sucks all kinda problems iMacs have.

----------

How do you dust it and where can I find an ssd ?! Except that... Thanks a lot :)

5. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

How long until your AppleCare expired? Let's hope your iMac fails for the third time before it expires and ask for a replacement.

I had 5 times repair jobs with my 2011 iMac under AppleCare until Apple decided to give it up and gave me a new late 2012 iMac as replacement.

Yep my unit is new, it will have to be tested through time before I can decide whether the new iMac is equally sucks or not.
    But so far, it's running great, and significantly cooler than the old one.
    My old 2011 iMac is running hot under load right from the beginning. Not just hot, it also has dirty display which keeps coming back. This new one is much much cooler. Hope it's a good sign for longevity and no failure whatsoever.

Me tired of lugging it back and around. It ain't a Macbook Air, ye know?

6. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

Put an SSD in there and call it a day. You'll be glad you did, like many other people on this forum. Buy a Firewire 800 drive for large external storage if you need it.

7. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

So it sucks because you had one mayor problem not 2, the first one could have been solved easier than what you did, it might have been much easier than replacing the HD, for instance, you could have started Terminal from another bootable disk and input a command to bless the HD, or a repair disk, or by just holding the Option key at startup and choose the HD.

The second is a problem and all manufactures do sometimes have problems, you just got unlucky, this does not mean the Mac sucks.