My 2010 MBP 13's headphone port doesn't work perfectly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Helljumper, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Helljumper macrumors member

So I have a 13 inch Macbook Pro (I got it during the summer of 2010) and just recently, the headphone port stopped working completely. When I plug in the headphones, audio only comes in through the right earbud while the left earbud is silent.

I've tried out 2 different pairs of headphones. I've tried listening to iTunes, watching a video on VLC, and watching a video on YouTube. The same problem occurs so this proves that it's not related to the program I'm using or the headphones themselves.

Is there something wrong with my Macbook Pro hardware, or is there a chance that I can fix this by editing some settings?

2. aCondor macrumors 6502

Try your headphones on your iPod or music player. I haven't heard of this problem with computers, so I assume it's quite rare. On the other hand, it is very common for headphones to stop working in one side. Happened to me more times than I care to remember.

3. mape2k macrumors regular

If the problem persists, try to clean out the earphone connector on your MBP with a q-tip. Maybe some dirt is blocking the connection. Usually only happens on iPhones/iPods but who knows...

4. Helljumper thread starter macrumors member

So I discovered the problem ... the solution was very easy. I went into System Preferences, and clicked on Sound and for some reason the Balance was always to the right. I have no idea how it got like that, but sliding it back into the middle solved everything ...

The only problem is that for some reason, it keeps on reverting to balanced fully right whenever I turn my laptop off. (For example, I'll slide the balance to the middle and everything will be fine, but then if I restart my MBP, it'll be back on the right)