My 2011 13" MBP experience after about 10 weeks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MultiBat, Jun 23, 2011.

1. MultiBat macrumors member

MultiBat

A lot of people ask about experience from users on their MBP, so I thought I'd share mine.

First off, I have the i7 version of the 13" MBP. I went to a store (not apple store) with the intent to buy the i5, but since it was temporarily out I got the i7 instead. I just had to have one... :)

This is my first Mac. I have had a Windows PC for the last 20 years. I was skeptical about Mac for a long time, but as I see so many other say: I am never ever going back!

What I use my MBP for:
    * Web browsing & Mail
    * Word processing
    * Organize all movies and pictures (from cameras, phones etc.)
    * Rip DVD movies and compress for my iPod & iPhone
    * Sync iPod & iPhone
    * Playing around with iMovie and Garage band (connecting my guitar).
    * Create invitations for parties and such things

My experience so far:
    The first thing that struck me was the amazing track pad. I have used a mouse since I got my first Amiga long ago, but for the first time I have no need for it. I cannot say enough about the track pad. It's big, responsive, exact and those gestures make life real easy! The two finger scroll is the favorite.

Secondly, everything just works. That's what people say, but I was unsure if I could believe it. An example. I have both an ink printer that I can hook up to my network and a laser printer with a USB connection. Every time I tried to use them with my old windows laptop there was trouble that took from 2 to 10 minutes to sort out. The network printer got a new IP addresses every time I turned it on so I had to check the address in the settings menus on the printer and then manually enter the IP address deep inside the printer settings in windows. For the USB printer I have the driver CD, but still could not get it to work when I connected it to my wife's laptop. With the Mac I never have any printer issues any more, and these are old HP printers that really is not certified as Mac compatible.

MacOS X feels quick, stable and pretty intuitive. I do not miss those frequent windows updates at all. I have decided not to use any anti virus software. I never download pirated movies or software and stay away from free software so I feel safe.

The screen is amazing. The glossy screen is not a problem for me since I am an indoor user. The resolution is fine for me. It's the same as I had on my previous 15" Dell. Only thing I did was to move the application bar (or whatever it is called) to one side instead of having it in the bottom. That way I can use the full height when browsing.

The size and design is wonderful. I get a smile on my face each time I sit down by the computer.

The keyboard is the best I have ever used. For me as a writer the keyboard was a top priority. It did not take long for me to get used to the differences compared to a windows keyboard. I use the MBP at a table and the "sharp edge" problem does not exist for me. I have tried, but cannot get the edge to be a problem.

For me this MBP has everything I need from a software perspective (once I bought ripit and pages). Another example: I wanted a song as an audio file from a DVD concert for my iPod. I opened the movie in iMovie, trimmed away all but the song, exported it as an audio file and imported it into iTunes. Done! I could never have done that on my windows PC without downloading and buying programs to rip, convert etc. With the Mac I just did it with the standard software.

Beachballs. I see them, but basically only when opening iMovie. All those thumbnailed movie clips I guess. I think the slow HDD is the culprit here.

Only thing I cannot give input on is gaming, since I do not game.

So if you are thinking of doing the switch, just do it!
    If you have concerns about the MBP 13" performance, don't worry. It is a powerful piece of machinery!

2. Maziar macrumors 6502

Thanks for sharing :)
    I'm considering to buy one these soon :D

3. MJNBGA macrumors regular

I just got my 13" MacBook Pro (i5) and you couldn't have said what I think about it better. :) :apple:

4. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

When you're ready, try swapping in an SSD and experience the wonder all over again.

5. hardingbn macrumors newbie

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat. I've yet to decide between a 13" MBP and a 13" MBA; waiting on the pending refresh to make the decision. Looking forward to the Mac experience. Thanks for the update on your experience!

6. TheBigKing macrumors 65816

TheBigKing

i was windows user about since xp now a month ago i got a macbook pro 2010 for a good price and prestige condition and i love it and updated to 8gb of ram love the os x

7. x-kid macrumors newbie

I just recently made the switch also back in March. I'm really enjoying it too. Espcially since I put in the ssd and optibay. The only thing i regret is not getting the 15 in. Next I will.

8. crush500 macrumors member

Just got my MBP last night but after spending countless hours on it last night and this morning I've come to the conclusion already that this is the best computer I've ever used.

Everything is just so fast. My old Compaq laptop would take about 2 minutes to start up when I cut it on. The MBP takes 30 seconds. It's awesome. All my apps and programs start up so fast as well. No more waiting to for Google Chrome or iTunes to open. They open in a flash. I use to have to walk away and do something else as they load. That's no more.

You hit on something very important about Mac; everything just works. I, too, have had problems using my wireless printer with my Windows computers but the first time I printed with my Mac everything worked perfectly. I didn't even have to install any software or drivers. I selected the printer and hit print and it worked. It was beautiful. I've never been able to print anything so easily before. Typically it would be a 30 minute job trying to get the printer to work. Not with the Mac.

I was also able to set my Mail up in less than a minute. The last time I attempted to set it up with Windows I spent over an hour and still wasn't able to get it completely set up. The MBP is already paying for itself.

I also moved the dock. I put it on the left side and I feel much more comfortable now. It makes the screen seem larger.

The screen looks great. It's crystal clear. Much improved over my last laptop.

Everything just seems to be working so smoothly. I've never had an experience like this with a computer before. I've used a Mac before but I've never owned my own. I figured set up would be a bit tricky like it has been with Windows but it was painless and extremely easy. I'm very impressed so far and I don't doubt my decision to switch anymore.

9. jsoto macrumors regular

jsoto

I too recently switched on last years holiday season. I purchased the 15" i7 it has been a wonderful experience. I agree with all you said. I actually liked the MBP 13" form factor very much. Had the i5 been there then I would have purchased that in a sec. Either way these MBP's independent of size all rock! OS X is solid! Congrats!:D

10. evolute8 macrumors member

i bought mine in march as well!

11. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I just got a MBP almost for free!

Had a pre-unibody white MacBook that was nearly three years old. The screen has had some issues and they've worked on it a couple of times under AppleCare, each time failing to fix the problem completely. I returned to the Apple store today at lunch time to retrieve it from their third attempt and it still wasn't right (screen flickering whenever the lid moved even in the slightest) and the very nice people at the Apple store were horrified that they hadn't fixed it. With very little hesitation after I pointed out the flickering, they said they had decided to give me a replacement computer for free.

I paid the slight difference in price and upgraded to a 2.7 dual i7. The net result is I traded a 32-month old pre-unibody white MacBook and $350 for a brand new 13" 2.7 dual i7 MBP. Plus, they're going to pro-rate my remaining AppleCare and credit that towards AppleCare for the new computer.

Another wonderful experience from Apple and despite the frustrations their products sometimes cause, a prime example of why I am a loyal customer.

12. tombubi macrumors regular

Thanks for sharing.

I think I will get one soon.