My 2011 17" Macbook Pro still slow after clean install

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gatorinsd, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Gatorinsd macrumors newbie

Hello. My Macbook Pro started running very slow, so I decided to try to return it to factory new status. I have performed the following:

-Erased (Zeroed) the Hard Drive (not just the mac partition)
    -Fresh install of 10.6.6 via grey OS X disk that came with computer
    -Verify Disk
    -Verify Permissions
    -Repair Permissions
    -Restarting in Safe Mode
    -SMC Reset
    -PRAM Reset

Shouldn't this return my computer to factory new status? Is there anything else I could try?

It is still running slow, no change from before. Everything is slow...start-up, shut-down, opening applications. Lots of spinning wheels.

Do you think my hard drive is going bad?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Entirely possible. Back up your data and see if you can't swap it out or get Apple to replace it if you have AppleCare.

3. Gatorinsd thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for that insight...

Is there anything else I can try before delving into hardware issues? Are there any other resets that I haven't tried?

Thanks again.

4. DGPMaluco macrumors regular

I know a great program for checking your hdd status, but its windows only, bootcamp and install crystal disk info

5. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

I think you tried pretty much everything there. I would have to say hard drive as well.
    Have Apple look at it if under warranty, and if it's not I can tell you changing the hard drive in your MBP is very easy; like a 15 minute job to physically switch the drive out.
    If you have the money go for an SSD; less problems and your 2011 17" MBP will really scream (I know, I had a late '11 17 inch with SSD before getting the Air).

6. Gatorinsd thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I guess it was my hard drive.

Took a leap of faith and bought a Samsung 840 Pro 512....boy, it really flies now! About 13 seconds to boot up.

Unfortunately the applications install disk is not working. Oh well, I guess they can send me another.

Question, I have Snow Leopard...would you guys recommend upgrading to Lion? Mountain Lion?

Thanks again

7. airbelchris macrumors regular

some issue here. replaced sshhdd with bigger sshhdd (i needed the space anyways0 and now it runs like gold.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

At this point, unless you really need iCloud or something like that that requires the update, I would just hold out another month or so for Mavericks (if your machine will run it).