My 2011 iMac vs. 2012 iMac - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sstevens, Oct 14, 2012.

1. sstevens
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

I currently own the 15" Retina MBP along with a top 27" iMac from 2011. The iMac has the 2GB GPU, 3.4 Quad i7, 8GB Ram, 256SSD + 1TB HDD, etc.

I have had this since August of 2011 and always try to keep my computer products up to date (was thinking about upgrading to 16GB Ram soon). With the release of the 2012 coming up soon, do you think it would be pointless to make such an upgrade? I just put apple care on it 2 months ago.

I mainly use my iMac for FCPX, Adobe software, etc..I bouight a laptop and wanted to go with the Retina so I wasn't feeling guilt over a lesser model whenever there is an update there, as I am going to be traveling heavily and needed portable storage and editing on the go. My iMac is my main base for editing videos, photos, and occasionally design work.

I think this could just be a selfish 'impulsive' buy but was wondering what a lot of you guys would do since this could be a more of an upgrade with the iMac than we think - Sandy Bridge vs Ivy Bridge CPU? Better GPU? I have heard that the pricepoint for the bigger screen version of the iMac to be released (whether that be 27 or 32) is more than what the current models are - makes sense to an extent...but would the difference in $$ be worth it if I were to sell mine for let's say $2.4-$2.6k?

Thanks!

2. CWallace
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 603

CWallace

If what people are speculating comes true (no ODD, 2.5" HDD/SSD), the 2012 iMac will functionally be an rMBP merged with an Apple Thunderbolt Display.

So you might just want to buy an ATD for your rMBP and have a single machine.

3. I8P'CS
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

Why would you waste money? Heard of the term more money than sense?! I bought my 2011 iMac in feb the sandy bridge v ivy bridge won't see many gains, laptops might see more compared to desktop. I know this will not be my last iMac, This iMac will most probs not have retina, I will be considering a new iMac on the next or 3rd iteration of this new design so I'm not in a rush to purchase, tempting but this current 2011 iMac is great for my needs and cost over £1500 with Applecare, So know way will I take a lost just to impress anyone. I like to see gains and not minimal ones, thats just me

By all means if you want to make Apple richer and give them more of your hard earned money then so be it,(On the assumption its not being bank rolled by parents) Common sense should have you not lusting for every release. A professional doesn't even change his iMacs yearly. If it will boost your ego and get you more ladies then go ahead and satisfy your ego.

For me I have nothing to prove and know this 2011 iMac will not be my last!!

4. 12dylan34
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

So, you actually spend about the same amount of money, maybe a bit less, if you sell your Mac every upgrade to buy a new one as if you just waited 4 years, then got a new one without selling your old machine. I think it's up to you if it's worth of hassle of shipping, etc.

5. GizmoDVD
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

IF the 2012 drops the OD drive etc., your model will probably increase in value on the used market as it's the "fastest" of the "old". No, you won't get a 1:1 trade, but it won't drop as far as say a 2009 compared to a 2010.

6. mcpix
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

It also depends if you want the new anti-glare screen that the new iMac will most likely have. Until I found a solution for my 27" iMac, the glare drove me crazy. Now, I'm a happy camper and will probably pick up another 2011 iMac once I see if the new iMac still has an optical drive. Since "thin is in", I'm guessing the optical drive is out.

As another poster mentioned you'll need to decide if the lack of an optical drive is a deal breaker for you. I would think that since your rMBP already lacks an optical drive, you would want one on your iMac.

7. redirector
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

How does FCPX performance compare on both systems? Is there much of a jump on the MBP? I am thinking the SSD would be a big driver of faster overall performance but wanted to ask someone using both.

I have a 2009 iMac and am holding out for the 2012 upgrade if it happens, but keep looking at the clearance 2011 iMac and the new MBP retinas as a comparison.

Edit: just noticed both machines have SSD. Even a more objective comparison in that case!

8. MoreAwesomeDanU
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

MoreAwesomeDanU

seriously, save yourself the money and do something else with it. If you're that into spending, buy some designer clothes or accessories or anything other than another computer.

You have a retina mbp, which would plow through everything that you would need to do at work/home. On top of that you already have a top spec 2011 imac(which also plows through everything). The only significant change that the 2012 imac is gonna bring is form, because ivy bridge doesn't offer much improvement in terms of performance.

If you need a more powerful computer for gaming, get a PC

9. sstevens
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors member

Well...what would you guys do? My only games are cs 1.6 on widows partition, some age of empires on OSX, and I mainly use this for final cut and adobe products. Also saving for 6-7months in Europe in the spring and a lot of peripherals for video on my DSLR 7D.

10. chevalier433
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

Not worth the upgrade you have already a very fast machine screen is the same,processor speed is almost the same,both takes the same ammount of ram,thunderbold ports,you dont play games.As a HD video editor myself the only significant difference in speed is going to be in Adobe applications that work better with Nvidia, and this if you are in PRO level.

11. forty2j
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68030

forty2j

Given that the 2011 is known to be the last iMac with an internal optical drive, it might fetch a higher resale value than usual. You'd need to see how much you could actually sell it for before making the decision.

Generally speaking, though, I would find upgrading after just a single model year to be cumbersome and perhaps even a little greedy, especially if done on a consistent basis.

12. sstevens
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors member

^ agreed. Might even jump to Mac Pro in 2014 and stick with this beast until then. No need to save myself desk space when I'm still going to pull it from the wall to be at a specific distance from my face, not shorten the depth on my desk.