My 2011 macbookpro is dying, looking for a more modern reccomendation?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iemcj, Apr 10, 2018.

1. iemcj macrumors 6502

iemcj

Honestly I don't need something super powerful, my old laptop was a 13" model and fairly "middle of the road" in specs in 2011 and it still does everything I need just fine (occasional photo editing, websurfing, playing 1080p video).

The main thing that's important to me is fixability. I've replaced batteries on this thing at least 4 times and so I wana factor that into future laptops, if it can only be replaced by Apple, it's a deal breaker cuz that would get so expensive so fast! D:

And anything over 256 gigs of storage would be peachy. I get by now with a 256 gig internal ssd but figured as file sizes increase, I should future proof myself a bit.

I gotta be able to plug in usb cards without a dongle. No if's ands or butts.

Either a built in SD card reader or HDMI output would be a huge plus without needling adapters. Not a deal breaker without it but it's stuff I use every other week and it completely diminishes the value of a laptop if I gotta haul around extra adapters needlessly.

Just looking for the best bang for my buck in that 13" or maybe 15" size. I by no means need a workhorse, I have a max BTO 2017 imac so I'm good there. Just looking for a "on the road" laptop, thanks guys!

2. djdeepv macrumors member

Well your needs completely eliminate the 2016 and 2017 MBP, leaving you just the 2015 MBP.

3. iemcj thread starter macrumors 6502

iemcj

Why is that?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

This basically means you need to exclude Apple from your buying choice

Do you have USB-C peripherals, if not then you'll need to look outside of apple due to this requirement.

Looking over your list, it seems your requirements fall outside of what is provided by Apple
    --- Post Merged, Apr 10, 2018 ---
    You don't want to dongles

5. Maxx Power macrumors 6502a

Maxx Power

Depends on what USB type. The 2016+ models so far only has USB-C. All USB-A types of plugins that existed on MBPs prior to the 2016 models requires dongles on these machines.

6. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

The newer MacBook Pro models have USB-C ports only, therefore you would need dongles to use anything that wasn't USB-C.
    This made me chuckle. :p

7. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

Lenovo Thinkpad T480s.

Nothing Apple has will meet all of your requirements.

8. Honza1 macrumors regular

9. RegularGuy09 macrumors member

Get a 13" MBA if the screen doesnt bother you. i5, 8GB RAM, and 256GB SSD. You get all the legacy ports, and its moderately easy to change the batteries. Powerful enough for all of your needs as well, and doesnt have keyboard issues like the current MBP and MB lines do.

10. Maxx Power macrumors 6502a

Maxx Power

That's a nice machine. I just wish that: (1) it had a 16:10 screen; (2) it was 15 inches (like a hypothetical T580s); and (3) a non-Max-Q GPU with a better cooling system.

11. Naimfan Suspended

Naimfan

If you must have a Mac, you're looking at a 2015 MBP or a recent Air. Neither count as "fixable," though, so you have to decide how critical that is. If it's make/break, Apple makes nothing for you (and apparently for a lot of people).

12. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP wrote:
    "I gotta be able to plug in usb cards without a dongle. No if's ands or butts."

If this is non-negotiable, then your only choices are:

1. 2015 design MacBook Pro 15". These are STILL BUILT AND SOLD AS NEW UNITS by Apple. To see them, you must:
    - go to store.apple.com
    - go to the 15" MacBook Pro page
    - click "buy"
    - then scroll down to see the 2015 model

2. 2015 design MacBook Pro 15", Apple-refurbished.

3. 2015 design MacBook Pro 13", Apple-refurbished.

13. MichaelDT macrumors regular

Dude! You’re getting a Dell!

I kid but really, that’s probably your option with these reqs. New Apple, or even Microsoft laptops don’t meet these needs. You’ll either need a late model or to switch to Dell or some other 3rd reputable manufacturer.

14. chevelleguy3 macrumors regular

I'm confused, you're looking for a more modern recommendations but requiring old legacy ports and options.

If you are wanting to stay with Apple, you'll need to go with an older machine as others have mentioned. The modern machines are going away from legacy ports. Dongles aren't as bad as you think, or you can convert over to USB-C for flash drives and external hard drives. The Apple branded USB dongle is relatively small and isn't a huge pain. I use them all the time with my 2016 tbMBP.

If that is not an option, you are looking at going with a product other than Apple.

15. ckxnlol macrumors newbie

16. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Its ten years old and has been superceded, it's becoming a legacy port.

17. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

USB3 is fast enough to remain viable for quite a while to come.
    "Legacy" or not...

18. Maxx Power macrumors 6502a

Maxx Power

I think you are both right. My perspective is that USB 3.0 is difficult to be replaced despite it being superseded by the newer USB-C standard because too many peripherals use USB-A interface still. All the keyboards, mice, webcams, USB sound interfaces, recording interfaces, wifi adapters, bluetooth dongles and almost all the HDD-based external devices, etc.

Given so many of these devices (and most of our peripherals in our daily lives) are not economically viable to replace and does not receive any benefits to be updated to USB-C (not bandwidth sensitive), I think USB-A has a rightful place to stay for a long time. Making all USB-A ports USB-C is probably not going to happen on desktops for a long time either, because of the increase in number of conductors and complexity with no associated gains for peripheral usage.

19. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

For your requirements, I would suggest a 2015 MBP IF you have to have a Mac.
    But this is throwing new money at old tech. I would not have a problem with this generally if the MBP was priced lower.
    Here in Canada, freaking Apple wants 2600CAD for a refurbished 2015 with AppleCare!

So it is your choice.

I needed a second laptop. Normally, I would look at Apple but not at these prices.
    I instead went on eBay, looked up a Thinkpad T470 (last gen), looked up the seller reviews, got a mint T470 for 1050CAD and it still has warranty till Sept 2020.
    You can even get manufacturer refurbished Dell Precisions 5520 for 1300CAD if you need last gen quad core goodness.