My 2011 MBP Died :-(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pentad, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I wanted to post my experience with Apple and the 2011 MBP.

I ordered a 15" 2.3 Q-core MBP (HR Screen, 7200 500GB HD, Glossy, 1 GB of Video Memory) the day they were announced.

It arrived a day earlier (Tuesday) than FedEx predicted and I was quite happy.

However, when I opened the MBP it look like there was a scratch down the left side of the screen. It turned out to be a sticky substance (like tape adhesive or something). I used a cotton wash cloth and it wiped off with a bit of warm water.

On the bottom of the MBP near the center was a very tiny dent. You almost couldn't see it but you could feel it with you finger.

I've never had a MBP show up in this condition but I wasn't going to call Apple over something this minor.

I installed all my software, Windows 7 Ult 64bit via Bootcamp, etc...

I found the keyboard to be better than my late 2009 MBP.
    The heat was hardly noticeable even running under Windows 7 and playing some FPS games. It was WAY cooler than my late 2009 MBP.

However, the MBP started to just freeze within a few hours of use. Though the temps were around 120F and it didn't matter if I was in Windows or OS X, the system would just freeze. I had to hold the PB down to turn it off.

I then started to notice the freezing would include graphic glitches, horizontal lines (white) across the screen, flicker, etc... It started to happen more frequently as the day went on. Not a good sign.

I called Apple and I they issued a replacement and apologized. It wasn't their fault and I can't praise Apple's support enough. They are in the US, you barely wait on the phone, they had a new one ordered today.

I was sent a FedEx label via email, I dropped it off at FedEx, and that was it.

I asked if anybody else was having problems like mine? I suspect the graphics chip was the culprit. They two people I spoke with said that hadn't seen anything but they hadn't been on the market long enough to really tell.

Anyway, I'm not thrilled with the wait but I thought Apple did a great job on the new MBPs. I think for the speed of the CPU and the new GPU, it produces far less heat than my late 2009 MBP.

-P

2. boonlar macrumors 6502

I think apple is pushing it this time with how much stuff they can cram into the tiny space.

I think there will be massive failures of this generation from the quad core and GPU heat.

3. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

I also had to replace my 2011 15' 2.3GHz on Monday. I had similar screen issues when it would try to wake from sleep. My issues involved the MBP not waking from sleep. I had to hold the power button down and then push again to hard boot. Problems increased when I used it more. It got to the point that it would only boot in safe mode. I verified the HDD volume via Disk Utility. It said it was corrupted. It froze during start and would not boot from the OS X disk. I took it to the Genius Bar and they could not boot it. They replaced it on the spot. I do love Apple Support. So far, this one is doing OK. I did have one occurrence when it would not wake from sleep. The sleep issues are only when it sleeps automatically per the Energy Saving preference. No issues when I put it to sleep manually. Hope there isn't a design issue with these.

4. HBOC macrumors 68020

i have been playing Borderlands (under boot camp) for the last few hours, and she didn't miss a beat. I am sure there are going to be some problems, ie; my MBP previous to this had two logic boards replaced, whereas many people had the same model but they did fine.

5. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

It's more likely the luck of the draw. Doesn't seem like there have been a lot of problems with the new versions.

6. zenio macrumors 6502

I agree. Apple is seriously obsessed with being thin, like a mentally unstable young girl who's bombarded with messages about being thin.

Then to exacerbate the problem, very sloppy applications of thermal paste during assembly add to the heating problems that Apple denies and fanboys believe.

It's a "computer in a kit".

Proof?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1105643

It's simply brilliant how Apple sells this crap to the public.

7. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

More evidence of the slipping quality control being discussed in the other thread. Shame really, still one of the top manufacturers though.